Author Topic: NHC  (Read 18010 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: NHC
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2014, 06:51:29 PM »
Hi all,

We have posted an NHC FAQ page to help answer various questions.  Please take a look http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/national-homebrew-competition-faq/.  Let me know if you think of any additions we should make to the page.  Thanks!

Cheers,
Janis

Looks good, Janis. Maybe add an entry that answers when the first round judging will take place and when the results will be revealed. Other than that, I can't think of anything.
Frank, this gives you an idea of when the judging takes place this year. In the past, some sites will need extra sessions to finish.
http://www.bjcp.org/apps/comp_schedule/competition_schedule.php

Janis compiles the results. The official results are released by the AHA (Janis). You may or may not have your score sheets before then. There should be a cover sheet telling you if you placed, top 3, for second round. The cover sheet may be incomplete, so don't drink all of your beers before the official release by the AHA, you might need them.

Thanks, but I actually know the answer. I was just giving her a suggestion to add to the FAQs like she asked.
Frank

Online hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2014, 07:14:35 PM »
Hi all,

We have posted an NHC FAQ page to help answer various questions.  Please take a look http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/national-homebrew-competition-faq/.  Let me know if you think of any additions we should make to the page.  Thanks!

Cheers,
Janis

Looks good, Janis. Maybe add an entry that answers when the first round judging will take place and when the results will be revealed. Other than that, I can't think of anything.
Frank, this gives you an idea of when the judging takes place this year. In the past, some sites will need extra sessions to finish.

Janis compiles the results. The official results are released by the AHA (Janis). You may or may not have your score sheets before then. There should be a cover sheet telling you if you placed, top 3, for second round. The cover sheet may be incomplete, so don't drink all of your beers before the official release by the AHA, you might need them.

Thanks, but I actually know the answer. I was just giving her a suggestion to add to the FAQs like she asked.
Ok, rhetorical question it was.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2014, 07:22:53 PM »
Hi all,

Cheers,
Janis

Ok, rhetorical question it was.

Haha... I was just thinking of questions that I had last year as a first time entrant.
Frank

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2014, 06:40:08 AM »
Hi all,

Cheers,
Janis
I'm getting an HTTP 404 error on that link this morning.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2014, 02:59:30 PM »
Anyone try to print their labels/recipe forms yet? No matter what I try, the bottle label is only 2" by 1.5" and spacing between lines on the recipe form is just over 1/16".

Offline Steve in TX

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2014, 03:04:22 PM »
I printed mine the day I paid without issue. I don't think you need to worry about the recipe form yet. At least that is what somebody told me.

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • View Profile
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2014, 03:11:58 PM »
Anyone try to print their labels/recipe forms yet? No matter what I try, the bottle label is only 2" by 1.5" and spacing between lines on the recipe form is just over 1/16".
Hi Gmwren,
This is from the NHC FAQ page (http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/national-homebrew-competition-faq/):
=-=-=-=-=-
Q: I can’t find how to enter my recipe information; isn’t this required?

A: First Round of the competition, we do not ask for the recipe information. If your entry advances to the Final Round of the competition, you will be instructed to enter your recipe and be given instructions about how, when, and where to ship your three bottles.
=-=-=-=-=-=
The only entry form needed for the First Round of the competition is the bottle label.  You can edit your entry information until the end of the shipping window, but be sure to print the most recent bottle labels for your entries.  Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2014, 06:49:04 PM »
I guess I need to rephrase. The only printout I can coax my printer to do has a barcode from a mediocre inkjet printer that is 7/16 of an inch in length. I really don't think there is a reader capable of capturing the fuzzy data, let alone me trying to write a recipe (if the time comes) in a 1/16' high space. I read the FAQ before posting, so I'm interested in a work around to make the images larger in print. I tried scaling my printer without any results.

Online braufessor

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2014, 08:10:03 PM »
Have you tried different browsers?  I know I have an issue with some browsers printing my labels tiny - while other is just fine.

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 25, 2014, 08:36:20 AM »
Have you tried different browsers?  I know I have an issue with some browsers printing my labels tiny - while other is just fine.
That did the trick. I used IE versus Firefox and the eye test went away.

Offline Janis

• Administrator
  • Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 25, 2014, 06:09:53 PM »
Hi guys,

We're looking into the browser-dependency issues.  Remember, if you edit your entry information, make sure you reprint the bottle labels with the latest information!

Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline tesgüino

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 05, 2014, 07:35:51 AM »
How important is the wording in the "Special Ingredient / Classic Style" block? Is it transferred word for word to the judging sheet or is it paraphrased by the stewards or someone else?  Do the judges just get the classic style and ingredient and none of the verbal BS?

Asking because I went to clean up a silly description today and found the edit button is gone.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 05, 2014, 07:47:29 AM »
In most competitions using online registration software (like NHC), the wording is transferred as you enter it. It gets printed on the judges flight lists next to your entry number.

You should be able to edit up until the drop-off deadline. Maybe there's a glitch?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Janis

• Administrator
  • Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 05, 2014, 10:16:55 AM »
How important is the wording in the "Special Ingredient / Classic Style" block? Is it transferred word for word to the judging sheet or is it paraphrased by the stewards or someone else?  Do the judges just get the classic style and ingredient and none of the verbal BS?

Asking because I went to clean up a silly description today and found the edit button is gone.
Hi Tesguino,

The edit capability was inadvertently disabled, but it should be available again now.  Please be as succinct as possible in your description.  Thanks for editing your entry. 

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 05, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »

Hi Tesguino,

The edit capability was inadvertently disabled, but it should be available again now.  Please be as succinct as possible in your description.  Thanks for editing your entry. 

Cheers,
Janis

side note:  thanks for the extra 25 characters.  Describing some things in 50 last year was difficult w/o getng rly gud @ abbrev.   75 works fine on my end.   8)