Author Topic: NHC  (Read 16236 times)

Offline dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: NHC
« Reply #225 on: March 05, 2014, 11:05:53 AM »
How important is the wording in the "Special Ingredient / Classic Style" block? Is it transferred word for word to the judging sheet or is it paraphrased by the stewards or someone else?  Do the judges just get the classic style and ingredient and none of the verbal BS?

Asking because I went to clean up a silly description today and found the edit button is gone.
Hi Tesguino,

The edit capability was inadvertently disabled, but it should be available again now.  Please be as succinct as possible in your description.  Thanks for editing your entry. 

Cheers,
Janis

side note:  thanks for the extra 25 characters.  Describing some things in 50 last year was difficult w/o getng rly gud @ abbrev.   75 works fine on my end.   8)
haha tru dat
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 05, 2014, 12:29:37 PM »
You could do it in a lot fewer characters, but you would need a texting, 15 year old to interpret it for the judges. ;)
Sergeant - BNArmy Member
AHA Member
Stephen M.
------------------------------------------------
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/election/jonathan-fuller-3/
Get a grip and Vote for Chip for AHA Governing Committee - http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/election/chip-walton-3

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 26, 2014, 01:22:32 PM »
I really hope the competition software fixes the "specialty" issue snafu at some point.

if anyone judged Cat 27 in the Finals last year, I had the entry that said "hydromel."
at one point in the registration process I had entered a mead, before switching to Cat 27A.  Once you check the appropriate "hydromel/standard/sack" box it was impossible to un-check.  you could only switch to one of the other two.

During check-in in KC a couple weeks ago, I saw beers with specialty information on the label for styles that have no specialty information.  Cat 13, for instance.  I'm betting those people switched from a "specialty" style to a non-specialty style, and didn't notice the additional info because it doesn't show up.

...at this point I would assume that we are to just ignore any specialty information in places it should not be?

cheers--
--Michael

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • View Profile
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2014, 01:26:19 PM »
Hi Michael,

We have cleared out the legacy information in the database, so you won't be seeing a "blonde ale with an Imperial Stout base aged on oak chips."  This info may be on the bottle labels, but has been cleared out from the database.

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2014, 01:29:07 PM »
great, thanks Janis.

Online Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 27, 2014, 05:34:46 AM »
During check-in in KC a couple weeks ago, I saw beers with specialty information on the label for styles that have no specialty information.  Cat 13, for instance.  I'm betting those people switched from a "specialty" style to a non-specialty style, and didn't notice the additional info because it doesn't show up.
Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who will enter a specialty style in a standard category because they don't know any better.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 27, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »
Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who will enter a specialty style in a standard category because they don't know any better.
I think he means an issue with the software specifically.  I was going to enter a mead.  I created it and typed in the specialty ingredients and honey varietal, etc... Then I changed my mind and entered a beer instead... On the label it still had all that info for the mead on the beer category.  I did change it back to a mead and put an 'x' in the specialty ingredients section and then switched it back to a beer... so on the label it just has an extra line with my 'x' on it...
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 27, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »
I think he means an issue with the software specifically.  I was going to enter a mead.  I created it and typed in the specialty ingredients and honey varietal, etc... Then I changed my mind and entered a beer instead... On the label it still had all that info for the mead on the beer category.  I did change it back to a mead and put an 'x' in the specialty ingredients section and then switched it back to a beer... so on the label it just has an extra line with my 'x' on it...

both happened. 
also saw some beers entered with names that suggested they were in the wrong style, but whatever.  No system is perfect, and it sounds like the AHA has done what they can.

Offline morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #233 on: March 27, 2014, 10:35:29 AM »

both happened. 
also saw some beers entered with names that suggested they were in the wrong style, but whatever.  No system is perfect, and it sounds like the AHA has done what they can.

no software can 100% do away with human error. and since no software (yet) has been designed and built without humans involved it's unlikely that the software is perfect either.

Online Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 27, 2014, 10:38:57 AM »
I forgot the registration system hides the specialty ingredients entry block for subcat's that don't need them. So I guess any info on bottle labels would be from that error.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 27, 2014, 11:18:09 AM »
Yeah... It also doesn't let you blank out that box if you change it back to a category that does use it... I had to have something in there still... Once a specialty category always a specialty category :D
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 30, 2014, 04:42:00 AM »
well, for the record the pull sheets still had some extra specialty information on there, but by including directions to ignore it in the judge instructions it wasn't really a problem.  As usual people putting things in the wrong category was a fairly common error.

*edit* - really disappointed that we only had something like 570 entries in KC.  A lot of people didn't ship, or didn't use all the entries they paid for.  I'd like to see some sort of contingency plan to get these spots to people who will use them, but it is what is.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:14:19 AM by udubdawg »

Offline theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 31, 2014, 07:34:33 AM »
*edit* - really disappointed that we only had something like 570 entries in KC.  A lot of people didn't ship, or didn't use all the entries they paid for.  I'd like to see some sort of contingency plan to get these spots to people who will use them, but it is what is.
What will be interesting is to see if the AHA holds true to it's warning about excluding these people next year.  Of course, there are always circumstances that keep someone from sending their entries in.
Sergeant - BNArmy Member
AHA Member
Stephen M.
------------------------------------------------
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/election/jonathan-fuller-3/
Get a grip and Vote for Chip for AHA Governing Committee - http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/election/chip-walton-3

Offline Joe Sr.

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 31, 2014, 07:51:35 AM »
What will be interesting is to see if the AHA holds true to it's warning about excluding these people next year.  Of course, there are always circumstances that keep someone from sending their entries in.

I may be wrong, but I thought it was that you had to pay for your entries.  Not necessarily that you had to send them.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • View Profile
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #239 on: March 31, 2014, 08:11:34 AM »
Hi guys,

The way it was set up this year was during the application phase for entrants to submit how many entries up to 6 they wanted to enter.  In the interest of getting a true count of the desired entries, we said that if you asked for 6 you would be held responsible to pay for 6 entries or the maximum entry limit to be determined.  This was done in the interest of fairness.  Those who applied but did not pay their entry fees (didn't follow through after the application phase), are the ones who have risked being banned in the 2015 competition.

If you asked for 4 you had to pay for 4.  If you asked for 4 and only have 2 beers bottled, you still had to pay for 4, but you could just send 2 or, if you wanted you could choose to not send any.  Sadly, it appears more than a few people took this route.

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org