Author Topic: NHC  (Read 17178 times)

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • View Profile
    • American Homebrewers Association
Re: NHC
« Reply #285 on: April 16, 2014, 02:22:54 PM »
I wonder what it would take to get the AHA to put the names of the beers in the winners' lists.  Homebrewers are pretty creative and clever with names and I for one would enjoy seeing this.
Hi Jeffy,

Don't hold your breath for this.  That creativity has it's unprintable side to it, so we specifically don't include the brew names.

Cheers,
Janis

Hey, we're all adults, in a way.
Jeffy,
Seriously, the names wouldn't be half as funny, if that were the case.   ;)
Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #286 on: April 16, 2014, 02:23:01 PM »
Woo Hoo! it's official, I got two out of four through to finals. my 16E (1st) entry and my marzen(3rd.. but with a 41.5) are headed to grand rapids without me. Take good care of them Mr. UPS guy.

Great job Jonathan. What did your first place get? Very good score on the Märzen.

Congrats on moving on to the big dance.

surprisingly the first only had a 37.5 so a silver certficate (as they were known last year) but a 1st place out of 48 entries. the marzen was 3rd out of 18.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

Offline Joe Sr.

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 16, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »

I may be aging, but I am not maturing.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Online hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 16, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »
Woo Hoo! it's official, I got two out of four through to finals. my 16E (1st) entry and my marzen(3rd.. but with a 41.5) are headed to grand rapids without me. Take good care of them Mr. UPS guy.

Great job Jonathan. What did your first place get? Very good score on the Märzen.

Congrats on moving on to the big dance.

surprisingly the first only had a 37.5 so a silver certficate (as they were known last year) but a 1st place out of 48 entries. the marzen was 3rd out of 18.

Sometimes it has to do with the competition on the table. The Amber Lagers probably had some really good brewers.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 16, 2014, 03:08:03 PM »

Yep

Offline HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 16, 2014, 03:26:24 PM »

Well said, sir.
Jon H.

Offline vinfriend

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 16, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »
I am a somewhat experienced brewer but a newbie to the board and have question.  I entered 4 beers in the New York region and was under the impression that the top 3 entries in each subcategory would move on (providing the score was over 30).  However, it appears only 3 beers in each of the 28 main categories moved on. For instance, wouldn't there potentially be 9 entries in main category 14-IPA (A, B, C) move on providing there were 3 entries in each of the three categories and all entries all scored above 30?
Twenty eight 5 Gallon Batches to date:
- Belgian Double
- Belgian Quad
- IIPA - 2nd Place Ribbon
- American IPA
- Marzen - 3rd Place Ribbon
- Pre-prohibition Lager
- Trappist Pater
- Czech Pilsen
- Belgian Blonde
- Belgian Wheat
- Apple Cider

Online hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 16, 2014, 08:28:33 PM »
I am a somewhat experienced brewer but a newbie to the board and have question.  I entered 4 beers in the New York region and was under the impression that the top 3 entries in each subcategory would move on (providing the score was over 30).  However, it appears only 3 beers in each of the 28 main categories moved on. For instance, wouldn't there potentially be 9 entries in main category 14-IPA (A, B, C) move on providing there were 3 entries in each of the three categories and all entries all scored above 30?
Top 3 per category. 14 is the category, a,b,c are sub-categories. Only 3 advance for any category.
Jeff Rankert

Offline vinfriend

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2014, 03:35:16 AM »
Top 3 per category. 14 is the category, a,b,c are sub-categories. Only 3 advance for any category.

OK, now I understand.  Thanks.  Don't feel quite as bad but need to look at my scoring sheets to improve.

Cheers!
Twenty eight 5 Gallon Batches to date:
- Belgian Double
- Belgian Quad
- IIPA - 2nd Place Ribbon
- American IPA
- Marzen - 3rd Place Ribbon
- Pre-prohibition Lager
- Trappist Pater
- Czech Pilsen
- Belgian Blonde
- Belgian Wheat
- Apple Cider

Online dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:39 AM »
I judged in Zainesville (which was the largest per the results posted thus far) and I didn't have particularly big flights or feel rushed... I realize some of the other sites may have had a less judges per entry turn out etc... but I only had a flight of 9 in Pilsners and 8 in Belgian Strong Ales.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 17, 2014, 06:27:48 AM »
I judged in Zainesville (which was the largest per the results posted thus far) and I didn't have particularly big flights or feel rushed... I realize some of the other sites may have had a less judges per entry turn out etc... but I only had a flight of 9 in Pilsners and 8 in Belgian Strong Ales.

741...Nice!
average is improving; currently if it holds we'd be at 8079 entries.  That'd be a new record, though well short of 9000.

Offline braufessor

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 17, 2014, 06:44:34 AM »

741...Nice!
average is improving; currently if it holds we'd be at 8079 entries.  That'd be a new record, though well short of 9000.

So..... Were there simply 1000 beers that people registered to enter, and then never sent in??  That is really unfortunate if people were registering beers that took spots that others would have gladly used.  I had a lot of trouble deciding which 4 I would send it..... would have been a lot less trouble if I had 5 or 6 entries.  I am sure there were plenty of others in the same boat.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 17, 2014, 07:36:53 AM »

741...Nice!

So..... Were there simply 1000 beers that people registered to enter, and then never sent in??  That is really unfortunate if people were registering beers that took spots that others would have gladly used.  I had a lot of trouble deciding which 4 I would send it..... would have been a lot less trouble if I had 5 or 6 entries.  I am sure there were plenty of others in the same boat.
~1000 beers that were registered and paid for at $15 each.
Jeff Rankert

Online dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 17, 2014, 07:40:22 AM »

741...Nice!

~1000 beers that were registered and paid for at $15 each.
Well... $14...but still that's $14000...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • View Profile
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #299 on: April 17, 2014, 07:42:48 AM »
Hi all,

If your entry placed in the First Round of the competition, but your homebrew club name is missing from the winners list, you must do the following to correct it.
  • Send me an e-mail with your name, competition location, category, and the homebrew club name.
  • Log in to your account on the competition site.  Click "Edit My Info" and choose your club from the drop-down list.  Click Submit to save the info.
Congratulations on your winning entry, and good luck in the Final Round!

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org