Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: plastic carboys  (Read 6304 times)

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
plastic carboys
« on: March 23, 2010, 12:45:13 pm »
i have several large water bottles that i can use and throw away.  i am just not sure if they will or will not be impermeable to oxygen.  is there an easy way to tell
Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: plastic carboys
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 12:58:09 pm »
Do they have any markings to indicate what kind of plastic they are?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 01:02:42 pm »
i am sure they are marked, i can look when i get home tonight
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 01:24:44 pm »
i have several large water bottles that i can use and throw away.  i am just not sure if they will or will not be impermeable to oxygen.  is there an easy way to tell

They should have "PP, LDPE or HDPE" on the bottom. I would use HDPE for fermentation.

My guess is that they are "Polypropylene"
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 01:30:04 pm »
thanks hopefully they can be useful
Don AHA member

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 02:11:24 pm »
thanks hopefully they can be useful

Even if not useful as fermenters (unfortunately most likely with water bottles), you can still use them for other things.  I have two that I use to hold my filtered/campdened water prior to brewing.
Joe

Offline bruck

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 04:02:22 pm »
I have one and I use it for Star San.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:35:57 pm »
checked out the plastic carboys.  only marking on the bottom is the recycle triangle with a number 7 in the middle.

thanks for the other ideas
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 01:00:04 am »
Resin identification code:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code

Looks like it may be safe and recycled. ??? I'd go for more identifiable plastic for fermentation. Just me though. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 08:42:03 am »
from what i can find out this is a catchall number.  some seem to have the potential to leach chemicals similar to the old nalgene bottles.  probably not worth using for that reason but can find nothing about oxygen.
Don AHA member

Offline gcam333

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 08:10:47 pm »
Why would the plastic from a water bottle potentially leach chemicals into yoyr beer when fermenting and not leach into water that is stored in them??
I have a couple that say "3" on the bottom According to the link it is PVC.

Offline brew-witch

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 09:22:02 pm »
Why would the plastic from a water bottle potentially leach chemicals into yoyr beer when fermenting and not leach into water that is stored in them??
The chemicals in the plastic are said to potentially leak into the water as well, but evidently heat will speed up the process... here's one article http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080130092108.htm and there's plenty more online.  As for the number 7, here's some info http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/03/29/plastic_water_bottles#axzz0nxs2qIvq
If you can't handle an hour of leisure time, then eternity is going to be a problem.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 06:23:39 am »
my original concern was actually oxygen diffusion.  i have a few left over from an old water cooler at work, and the things are relatively cheap to get.  thought it would be worthwhile to try turning them into conicals.  i am less worried about the chemicals leaching than i am about oxidation.  i may still try them and see if i get much oxidation
Don AHA member

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 04:36:13 pm »
I use the rectangular-shaped water jugs we occasionally get from BJ's Wholesale Club as carboys.  $5 for the bottle deposit.  They are 5.28 gallons, and because of the rectangular shape they have a smaller footprint and just fit in a compact 'fridge I have set up for temperature-controlled fermentation.  Because there isn't a huge amount of head space I use a blow-off tube.

On the bottom of these bottles is a "7" in the recycling logo.  They also have the name Greif molded into the plastic on the bottom.  I ran that down to a plastic bottle mfr., found their web site, and sent an email to their Sales & Marketing Manager who responded that the plastic is a polycarbonate resin, FDA approved for water, and he supposed they could be used for fermentation as well.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 05:46:16 pm »
The chemicals in the plastic are said to potentially leak into the water as well, but evidently heat will speed up the process... here's one article http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080130092108.htm and there's plenty more online.  As for the number 7, here's some info http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/03/29/plastic_water_bottles#axzz0nxs2qIvq

beer contains alcohol which is a solvent to many plastics.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee