Author Topic: Time to mix up my hops  (Read 1130 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Time to mix up my hops
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 12:50:28 PM »

I just brewed an IPA with Mosaic......it's now one of my favorite hops!

I'm a fan too. Brewing an IPA today with 75 ibus of equal parts Simcoe and mosaic

Mosaic is great! Still use it and have some, I'm really just trying to go in another direction from all the stone, fruit, citrus hops and looking for the pine, resin, floral earthy to mix things up in some of my beers that have been brewed over and over to find a new twist

Goldings are great also. very herbal and grassy if used in volume. Until I started playing around more recently with American grown noble variants I used a lot of Belgian goldings and Challenger in saisons.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline kmccaf

• Brewer
  • Kyle (Champaign, IL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 01:33:12 PM »

EKG
Perle
Saaz

Any other suggestions, trying to do more low AA, earthy, piney, resiny, etc types of hops to mix up my styles a bit and bring something fresh to the table.

I'm a big fan of EKG, Saaz, and Perle. Perle is an underrated hop, IMO. I think it goes well with American varieties like Simcoe and Cascade. Not too much Perle, a light hand is needed with that hop. I use the Perle in my Rye Pale Ale.

Otherwise, I have been really enjoying UK Sovereign and Boadicea. I like the fresh hay and stone fruit flavors from them. Haven't used those in anything other than British Ales, though.

EKG and Saaz are just a good idea to have around at all times. First Gold, Styrian Goldings, Mittlefrueh, Mt. Hood are nice to have around for their versatility, as well.
So it goes.

Offline erockrph

• Brewmaster General
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »
One of the whole reasons I got into homebrewing in the first place was to experiment with hops. One of my philosophies is that I'm not really looking to produce something that I can just get at the store, so I've started to gravitate towards a lot of the newer varieties that you don't see in a lot of commercial beers.

Here are my current favorites:

Nelson Sauvin - I get a big Cascade-like white grapefruit note, paired with a white wine character that I really enjoy. This has become a standard in my IPA's. A nice sub for Cascade or Centennial if you're looking for something in the same ballpark but different.

Apollo - another new standard in my IPA's. I know some people get onion/sulfur from it, but I never have. I get a cross between Amarillo and Columbus - a lot of tangerine balanced with a bit of dank.

Motueka - A Saaz derivative that has a great lime zest/lemongrass character along with noble-like herbal character. It's not potent enough to stand up to oilier hops in an IPA, but it's great for something like a lager, saison, American wheat, etc. where you want an interesting hop note without going full-on hop bomb.

Meridian - I get flavors that remind me of sweeter stone fruits like apricots or nectarines, but without a lot of citrus. Great in combination with hops with more of a citrus character.

Caliente - I get a lot of stone fruit with this as well, but it's more like ripe red plums to me. It has some citrus character to it as well. Not as "sweet" as Meridian. Flavor has some Fugglish earthiness. It's really nice in ESB's, and it's amazing paired with WY3864 (Unibroue) in a hoppy Belgian beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• Brewmaster General
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 07:47:40 PM »
Goldings are great also. very herbal and grassy if used in volume. Until I started playing around more recently with American grown noble variants I used a lot of Belgian goldings and Challenger in saisons.

What I get from EKG's when I use a lot of them is a distinct anise note. It's rather pleasant at a low level when paired with dark English crystal malt and earthier hops like Fuggles, but it definitely keeps me from using my usual "bombs away" approach with real hoppy beers.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline duboman

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 08:17:19 AM »
One of the whole reasons I got into homebrewing in the first place was to experiment with hops. One of my philosophies is that I'm not really looking to produce something that I can just get at the store, so I've started to gravitate towards a lot of the newer varieties that you don't see in a lot of commercial beers.

Here are my current favorites:

Nelson Sauvin - I get a big Cascade-like white grapefruit note, paired with a white wine character that I really enjoy. This has become a standard in my IPA's. A nice sub for Cascade or Centennial if you're looking for something in the same ballpark but different.

Apollo - another new standard in my IPA's. I know some people get onion/sulfur from it, but I never have. I get a cross between Amarillo and Columbus - a lot of tangerine balanced with a bit of dank.

Motueka - A Saaz derivative that has a great lime zest/lemongrass character along with noble-like herbal character. It's not potent enough to stand up to oilier hops in an IPA, but it's great for something like a lager, saison, American wheat, etc. where you want an interesting hop note without going full-on hop bomb.

Meridian - I get flavors that remind me of sweeter stone fruits like apricots or nectarines, but without a lot of citrus. Great in combination with hops with more of a citrus character.

Caliente - I get a lot of stone fruit with this as well, but it's more like ripe red plums to me. It has some citrus character to it as well. Not as "sweet" as Meridian. Flavor has some Fugglish earthiness. It's really nice in ESB's, and it's amazing paired with WY3864 (Unibroue) in a hoppy Belgian beer.

I too enjoy brewing things I can't get commercially as well, it's the fun part for me! Thanks for the personal take on some of the newer varieties, I've made some notes and may try a few for the new year.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 08:49:06 AM »
Here are some that I have used in the last few years, and like the results in the appropriate beer.

Styrian Goldings.

The 4 sisters from OSU's hop program. All have Hallertau Mittelfrueh lineage.
Mt. Hood
Liberty
Ultra
Crystal.

Vanguard is also a Hallertau Mittlefrueh derivative, from U of Washington.

Sterling is a Saaz derivative.

Santium is a Tettnanger derivative.

Mosaic, Galaxy, and the NZ hops are fun to play with.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 08:58:41 AM »

I'm a big fan of EKG, Saaz, and Perle. Perle is an underrated hop, IMO.

I agree. Perle doesn't get enough love. There's a brewery in Austin that brews an all Perle IPA for the taproom. It's pretty good and I'm not even a big IPA fan.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm

Offline fmader

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 09:22:37 PM »
Mt. Hood is an under-rated IPA hop.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 06:38:31 AM »
+1.  I like to sometimes use a non-typical noble type hop in an IPA blend. A noble hop doesn't have the intensity to be front and center in an IPA obviously, but it can makes things interesting from the background.
Jon H.

Offline mabrungard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 07:47:23 AM »
You will see a recipe for an all Brewers Gold IPA in the next issue of Zymurgy as part of the discussion on Burton water. Brewers Gold imparts a black currant note into the flavor spectrum. That hop is otherwise notable as being 'hoppy'. When I saw that in the flavor descriptions on various websites, I drew a question mark. But after tasting and smelling the finished beer, 'hoppy' is a good descriptor. 

After the fact, I found that a lot of English brewers and homebrewers use Brewers Gold. We Americans should bring it back onto our palate of flavors.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Offline fmader

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 08:00:46 AM »

In addition... Troegs Perpetual IPA has Mt. Hood in it. I believe it's Bravo, Chinook, and Mt Hood in the boil... Mt Hood and Nugget in the hop back and dry hopped with Citra and cascade. This beer is very solid and has a unique hop taste compared to the wave of fruit bombs that are out there. The Mt Hood gives it a mild spice like flavor as a back note to the other hops.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 08:09:26 AM »

In addition... Troegs Perpetual IPA has Mt. Hood in it. I believe it's Bravo, Chinook, and Mt Hood in the boil... Mt Hood and Nugget in the hop back and dry hopped with Citra and cascade. This beer is very solid and has a unique hop taste compared to the wave of fruit bombs that are out there. The Mt Hood gives it a mild spice like flavor as a back note to the other hops.

Yeah I'd like to try their beers.  I've heard good things. I'm not too big on the fruit bomb beers. If I use something fruity like Citra , Mosaic, Calypso,etc, I have to put some Columbus in there to keep it in check.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 08:11:55 AM »
You will see a recipe for an all Brewers Gold IPA in the next issue of Zymurgy as part of the discussion on Burton water. Brewers Gold imparts a black currant note into the flavor spectrum. That hop is otherwise notable as being 'hoppy'. When I saw that in the flavor descriptions on various websites, I drew a question mark. But after tasting and smelling the finished beer, 'hoppy' is a good descriptor. 

After the fact, I found that a lot of English brewers and homebrewers use Brewers Gold. We Americans should bring it back onto our palate of flavors.
I have done a Ballantine IPA using Bullion, which is Brewers Gold's sister, often said to be a direct substitution. It transported me back to my misspent youth.  :)

Based on that beer I got a pound of Brewers Gold for more old school beers, and another Ballantine IPA.
Jeff Rankert

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 10:22:36 AM »
In addition... Troegs Perpetual IPA has Mt. Hood in it.

As does my Rye IPA recipe.  When John Maier first tasted it he said he never would have thought of the combo of Mt. Hood and Columbus.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 11:15:01 AM »
In addition... Troegs Perpetual IPA has Mt. Hood in it.

As does my Rye IPA recipe.  When John Maier first tasted it he said he never would have thought of the combo of Mt. Hood and Columbus.
I use My. Hood in my Cream Ale.
Jeff Renner uses Cluster and Mt. Hood in his CAP these days.
Jeff Rankert