Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White Whiskey  (Read 5042 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
White Whiskey
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:31:04 am »
A year or two ago someone gave me a bottle of this stuff from one of the local craft distilleries.  It's terrible.  I can't drink it and I can't serve it to friends.

I tried aging some on oak in Ball jars and did a sampling last night with a buddy.  The light toast American oak was still terrible.  The medium French oak had improved and had some oaky flavors but still could not out-compete the weird medicinal flavor of the whiskey.

I have most of a bottle left.  What do people do with this stuff?

I'm thinking maybe some charring some of the chips, or getting some charred oak cubes but I'm not sure the experiment is worth it anymore.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: White Whiskey
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:32:20 am »
All good medicine tastes bad. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:54:06 am »
Use in your beer airlocks
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:58:12 am »
Run it through a Brite or charcoal filter.  A benefit of oak aging is that the toasting forms activated carbon that adsorbs some of the nasties.  That the medium toast French oak tastes better than the light toast American oak suggests to me that the medium char may have adsorbed more of the nasties.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 01:08:20 pm »
Char the oak and try again, it helps in my experience.

You can also look up recipes that call for white dog, when it is diluted in a drink the off flavors may not be as strong.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 01:17:51 pm »
Slate had an article called "Unaged whiskey helps young microdistilleries keep afloat. There’s just one problem: It tastes awful."

North Shore Distillery has the number one rated US gin, apparently.  Try drinking that instead.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 01:25:43 pm »
Slate had an article called "Unaged whiskey helps young microdistilleries keep afloat. There’s just one problem: It tastes awful."

North Shore Distillery has the number one rated US gin, apparently.  Try drinking that instead.

North Shore's Gin is indeed a thing of beauty. The Sloe Gin they made is particularly good. The Aquavit is pretty good too.

I didn't care too much for the white whiskey either.
Kyle M.

Offline Paule33

• 1st Kit
  • Iowa
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 01:27:44 pm »
Don't sound like you don't have enough to charcoal filter it and get much back. The idea of airlock fluid was pretty good advice.
Paul S.
Member of AHA and
CRAZE  (Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts)

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."  Humphrey Bogart

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 02:29:53 pm »
There's a reason good whiskeys are filtered.  Run it through a charcoal filter and then age it on some charred oak.  It will improve.  Especially if you give 5 or 10 years on the oak.   8)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 02:37:30 pm »
Slate had an article called "Unaged whiskey helps young microdistilleries keep afloat. There’s just one problem: It tastes awful

The bottle I bought a year ago was touched twice and still sits where I store my bourbon. It's awful. Truly awful.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 02:42:11 pm »
Slate had an article called "Unaged whiskey helps young microdistilleries keep afloat. There’s just one problem: It tastes awful

The bottle I bought a year ago was touched twice and still sits where I store my bourbon. It's awful. Truly awful.

I've looked at all the different varieties at the liquor store and have always assumed it was made to be consumed by young folks who think it make them look cool.  Just before they fall down and/or make a call on the big white telephone.  8^)

Honestly, one of my uncle's made shine and it never had a flavor anyone would call "good" but it had a one hell of a kick.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 02:53:29 pm »
I've had some good shine before but it was usually infused with a flavor like peach or something. White whiskey tastes like .... I don't know. Something awful. I can't drink it. Drink lots of whiskey though.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 06:44:14 pm »

You describe this bottle exactly. My buddy last night described if as metallic.

I may try running it through a brita and putting it on se charred chips. I can let it sit a few years. Ain't gonna drink it for sure.

As far as gin, I'll stick with Bombay sapphire.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 10:13:38 pm »
After you filter it you could maybe use it as a base for liqueur. Lemoncello, kahlua, chambord, etc.

As far as gin, I'll stick with Bombay sapphire.

Love me some Sapphire. Sapphire, rocks and a twist of lemon is one of my all-time faves.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 03:18:18 am »
From the flavors you describe it sounds to me like the distller did not make good head cuts on this run of white dog.  The vapors that come off of the beginning part of a spirit run are called foreshots and/or heads.  These are comprised of volatile compounds with lower boiling points than ethanol - acetone, methanol, various other esters and aldehydes.  They give the perception of appley fingernail polish remover and are very hot and harsh. 

Once the heads cut has been made the finer spirits that are comprised of ethanol start to be collected.  These are called the hearts. The hearts make up the majority of the spirits from a distillation run.  Hearts are very smooth with little alcoholic heat.

Once the ethanol/hearts have been collected the volatile compounds with higher boiling points start to come off.  These are called tails and/or feints.  They are mostly the higher molecular weight alcohols such as propanol, butanol, isoamyl alcohol.  They give the perception of someone having vomited on dirty socks.

Commercial distillers, being the frugal lot that they are, like to produce as much product from a spirit run as possible.  Unfortunately some distillers get greedy and make bad cuts that include too much heads and/or tails.  Cheaper spirits often include heads and tails from bad cuts.

That being said, part of the flavor profiles of fine whiskeys, and rums, and brandies include some measure of tails.  The artisan part is knowing how much tails add to improve the quality of the spirit.

All distilled spirits are clear when they come off of the still.  The color is extracted (along with flavors) from the wood the spirits are aged in.  The tails compounds lose their harshness and blend with flavors extracted from the wood over time, to produce the characteristic flavors of the finished spirits you are familiar with.

Unaged clear whiskey is also know as white lightning, white dog, or a variety of other names, is pretty damn good, if the distiller has made good cuts.  Extremely good if the distiller only gives you the deep hearts.

White dog made with poor heads cuts will probably not get much better with aging.  However, it does make good charcoal lighter fluid.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907