Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brrrrrrew Day  (Read 8267 times)

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
Re: Brrrrrrew Day
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 07:28:10 am »
I won't be brewing anytime soon it's -13 and doesn't sound like it's going to warm up for quite a few days.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 07:36:23 am »
I'm doing the first batch on the new brewery on Sunday. High of 27F, probably going to snow. I'll be huddling by the burners for warmth!

Let us know how the new system works out!  Myself, no brewing but I'm bottling a dubbel from a keg, kegging a gingerbread stout, adding the bourbon soaked oak to half an imperial stout and bottling the chocolate raspberry port wine...all done inside as it's low single digits here in the Denver area. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 08:10:02 am »
I'll be brewing in my kitchen on Saturday with complete control over the temperature.  I shall postpone christening the new pot and burner until warmer weather.

As far as garage heaters, I've never found anything electric to be effective and I never want to run the propane heater as then I need to vent the garage and let the cold in.  Of course, my garage is detached, 100 years old, uninsulated and when I've needed to heat it I have been laying on the slab working under a car.  You can blow hot air under the car, but you'd have to do so for a loooooong time to warm up all that cold steel.

Here's what you need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kero-Sun-Radiant-36-Kerosene-Heater-w-Removable-Tank-w-BOX-MANUAL-LIKE-NEW-/291030078339

Or better yet, something like this: http://www.sears.com/dayton-3ve55-heater-torpedo-lp/p-SPM6784593905?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 08:50:51 am »
It's 24F out and sleeting so I'm not going to the office. It's a good day to brew the annual refill for my lambic solera. I can do the long turbid mash inside in the kitchen but I'll have to trek out to the detatched garage to run the turkey fryer. I'll open the bay door and sit in my car with some coffee and work. Or maybe I will build a snow assistant brewer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 10:57:55 am »
20 degrees.  6 in. of snow so far and still coming down.  Power flickering.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 10:59:28 am »
the whole world is upside down and you're talking about the weather? madness man madness!!!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 11:02:54 am »
Damn! Mort beat me to it!
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 11:07:22 am »
the whole world is upside down and you're talking about the weather? madness man madness!!!

Damn iPad...;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 11:16:02 am »
stayed home to brew.  about 15F out; down to 2 tonight.

safe to say I'll be the only guy in shorts buying ice at the gas station in a few minutes. 

*edit* - probably didn't need the ice.  I've never chilled wort this fast before.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 11:53:35 am by udubdawg »

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 11:22:53 am »
I will be brewing a German Pilsner in my garage tomorrow. It will be in the teens. I have a garage heater so it should be good. My best to all of you brave souls!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Paule33

• 1st Kit
  • Iowa
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 11:27:37 am »
David  It was 5* F in the garage this morning. Holding off brewing for a bit. How’s that heater working? I’m going to Kansas this week. Was hoping it was a bit warmer down there. Does not look like it.
Paul S.
Member of AHA and
CRAZE  (Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts)

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."  Humphrey Bogart

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 01:15:09 pm »
Clean up day now. 13° so I've got kettles with soapy water heating up.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 01:59:35 pm »
Finishing up an oat pale ale now. After the  boil, I put the kettle out in a couple of inches of snow and 10F temperature. Chilled to 150F in about 20 minutes but only got down to 140F in 40 minutes. Brought back in to chill the more traditional way....
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:03:13 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 07:43:46 pm »
I live in MN and the bulk of my brewing has always taken place in winter.  For me, it doesn't truly feel like a brewday unless I can see my breath and there's a cloud of hop vapor hanging over my kettle.   ;D

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 07:02:15 am »
I'm doing the first batch on the new brewery on Sunday. High of 27F, probably going to snow. I'll be huddling by the burners for warmth!

Let us know how the new system works out!  Myself, no brewing but I'm bottling a dubbel from a keg, kegging a gingerbread stout, adding the bourbon soaked oak to half an imperial stout and bottling the chocolate raspberry port wine...all done inside as it's low single digits here in the Denver area.

Holy hell what a brew day. I don't think I'll look back on the idea of "let's figure out a new system in a new house during a freezing cold snow laden day" as one of my better ideas. BUT, I made beer and the first batch is done. Whew! What I do know now is that I will need to plumb the garage with hot and cold water and a wash sink. That was the major issue. Frozen hoses were my arch enemy.

At any rate, here's the eye candy:

Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article