Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brrrrrrew Day  (Read 8330 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Brrrrrrew Day
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 08:51:01 am »
I knocked out 10 gallons in my kitchen with football on the TV and snow falling outside.

The family was out, so it was me time.  Bottled a bunch off the kegs, too.

One of these days, I'll put the valve on my new kettle, rig up a decent mash tun out of one of the many coolers I've collected for the purpose, and move my efforts outside.  This was not the weekend to do it, however.  Though I do keep saying that.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 09:31:12 am »
Pretty newbie question here, but since everyone is talking about the garage... Is it safe for me to brew in my downstairs garage on my bayou classic burner? Its a double garage with 2 separate car doors plus a man door. If i have te man door open, will I have enough ventilation to be safe, or should I open the far car door as well. My clearance above the burner will be about 8'. i have not tried to brew outside yet but its awfully cold and windy here in Indiana right now: mid to high 20's forecasted. Plan on brewing this weekend. Cooked out on burner for early Thanksgiving dinner and with the wind, it took forever to get to a boil and then the snow started. As a side note, dont ever try to cook lobster for 12 outside in the snow, it will be very cold and lonely! Everyone loved dinner, but nobody wanted to come outside and help
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 09:42:08 am »
No expert, but carbon monoxide is lighter than air. Plus it's going to be warmer and heat rises. If your living space is above I suppose it's possible to have problems. I brew with propane in a separate shop, 24x24, and leave the man door open. If it's real still outside I open the garage door a foot or so. But I'm alert to the fact that co can be accumulating in the ceiling. About halfway thru a boil I usually open the garage door all the way and air it out. Be careful, you only get to make that mistake once.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2013, 09:54:48 am »
Thanks Jim, guess I'm going to be cold outside again! Will just have to build a make shift shield around the burner to lessen the affects of the wind. Either way though, I need to brew, have not for almost 2 months, as life gets in the way. Luckily, my last batch has turned out great so far and I am sitting on 2 cases of bombers of Evil Twin. Going to make it a fairly complete brew day, will also be bottling my version of Palmer's barley wine. Cant wait to taste that in the "near" future!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 09:56:03 am »
No expert, but carbon monoxide is lighter than air. Plus it's going to be warmer and heat rises. If your living space is above I suppose it's possible to have problems. I brew with propane in a separate shop, 24x24, and leave the man door open. If it's real still outside I open the garage door a foot or so. But I'm alert to the fact that co can be accumulating in the ceiling. About halfway thru a boil I usually open the garage door all the way and air it out. Be careful, you only get to make that mistake once.

It is not heavier, but it blends into the ambient air very well making all of the air toxic. Keep the roll-up open to allow ventilation and keep a CO detector around.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 10:14:24 am »
keep a CO detector around.

Definitely.  Cheap insurance.  CO build-up is not something you will notice.  You'll just sort of drift off.

If you have a way to rig up an exhaust, that would be ideal.  But I'd still keep a CO detector plugged in somewhere.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 10:25:25 am »
I think I'll put one on the list for the shop. Safety first, right?

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 10:31:59 am »
The sun is approaching the lowest point in the southern sky at this time of year.  My brew "shed" is open on three sides and the sun angles into the brewery for most of the day.  Sun burn is a serious consideration during a long brew day.  Long pants and long sleeves are not comfortable to wear while brewing here.  Does anyone have any non-greasy sunblock recommendations for brewing?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 10:55:44 am »

When I remodeled my garage into the brewery, the first 2 pieces of equipment I got were a CO detector and a fire extinguisher.  If you brew in your garage with propane, you need both.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 11:04:22 am »
The sun is approaching the lowest point in the southern sky at this time of year.  My brew "shed" is open on three sides and the sun angles into the brewery for most of the day.  Sun burn is a serious consideration during a long brew day.  Long pants and long sleeves are not comfortable to wear while brewing here.  Does anyone have any non-greasy sunblock recommendations for brewing?
Neutrogena Sport was always my favorite when I worked outside. Not greasy at all, and doesn't come off when you sweat. Has also served me well when I've been in Hawaii.
Kyle M.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 11:09:44 am »

Can't you weave some palm fronds into a portable sunscreen while you lounge in paradise during the mash?  You could move this natural sun screen throughout the day to block the sun.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 11:36:36 am »
Can't you weave some palm fronds into a portable sunscreen while you lounge in paradise during the mash?  You could move this natural sun screen throughout the day to block the sun.

Maybe...  I'd have to figure out how to keep it from shading my solar HLT.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2013, 12:22:43 pm »
So I had the "bright" idea to leave my brew pot (with lid on) out in the cold weather when I was done with the boil. It was 10 degrees outside. It took 5 hours to get down to 80 degrees. That calculates to be about 0.5 degree/minute. Since it was 10 degrees outside, i am hoping there was nothing out there to harm it. It is fermenting fine. I will let you know how it taste when we get there. :)
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2013, 01:16:10 pm »

Maybe...  I'd have to figure out how to keep it from shading my solar HLT.

Nobody knows the trouble I've seen...

I'll shed a frozen tear for you as I chip the ice of my windshield this evening.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2013, 03:59:33 pm »

When I remodeled my garage into the brewery, the first 2 pieces of equipment I got were a CO detector and a fire extinguisher.  If you brew in your garage with propane, you need both.

This I did as well! Planning to brew Thursday, with windchill should be about 0-minus 5, I keep the man door open and the big door open a few feet, I have an electric heater and also circulate a fan on low.

The burners actually help in heating the space a bit but my Carhart Coveralls are amazing!

The best part of winter brewing is the peace and quiet and the ground water temp of 55 degrees to chill the wort!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010