Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold steeping specialty grains  (Read 8287 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Cold steeping specialty grains
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 11:23:57 am »
I have had great results adding my dark specialty grains at vorlauf/sparge....it's a lot easier than cold steeping.

I did the cold steeping until I discovered Sinamar.  Once I found that someone had done the work for me, I quit using cold steeping.
What volume do you buy that in? I did see what looked like maybe 4 liter containers at Russian River.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 11:40:43 am »
I have had great results adding my dark specialty grains at vorlauf/sparge....it's a lot easier than cold steeping.

I did the cold steeping until I discovered Sinamar.  Once I found that someone had done the work for me, I quit using cold steeping.
What volume do you buy that in? I did see what looked like maybe 4 liter containers at Russian River.

I just buy the 4 oz. bottle, but I've seen the 4L jugs at Rogue, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 01:53:29 pm »

Interesting.  Is it worth buying the extra grain?

That is up to you to decide.  Cold steeping provides a smoother flavor.  You can get a smoother flavor by using huskless dark grains like carafa and midnight wheat.  However there is no huskless replacement for roasted barley that I'm aware of.

Anyway I'll continue to do cold extracts for 2nd running beers

Patagonia Malt has a huskless roast barley they call Perla Negra (black pearl barley). I haven't ever seen it at the local homebrew shop, but if you ask around you might be able to get your hands on a few pounds. Check it out.
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association