Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Goose island bourbon co stout  (Read 4066 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Goose island bourbon co stout
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 09:03:21 am »
There wasn't any organization to the release here in Texas. Even some of the AB InBev reps were telling their accounts bad information about when and here it was being released. Very few places were advertising that they had it on Friday. I managed to get a four pack at a place that was selling a two bottle limit per customer. I brought my wife.

We're still waiting on label approval in the state for the variants. I'd like to get the rye, coffee and barleywine.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 09:18:38 am »
So I drank a bottle last night and have to agree that it is not as bourbon-forward as I recall.  It was quite good, though I still think it's over-priced.  My wife called it outstanding, so you know the bourbon does not slap you in the face.

Last time I had this was after the Giants won the Superbowl in 2007 and my recollection was that it was boozy and bourbon forward.  I also think I paid a lot less back then.  I recall the four packs sitting out on display...  This bottle was much more complex.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline seefish

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 10:00:44 am »
It seems less bourbon forward than I remember also, but then again I'm thinking my palate has changed somewhat since I first had it....anybody done a vertical of it lately?

I don't know if I agree about price though, it seems ok compared with other barrel stuff in the area...whether or not that is a fair price I dunno but Fifty Fifty goes for $30, I've seen Hoppin Frog for $20+, we won't even talk about Three Floyds...but I'm embarrassed to say I've paid $50 for one of the BA Dark Lords.  So $22 for a 4 pack or a Variant bomber seems competitive.  How much is it out yonder?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 10:24:26 am »
I paid $9.99 for a 12 oz. bottle.  Well, actually $19.98 for two.

$22 for a 4-pack I can see as reasonable.  Not sure it's actually "reasonable" but it fits more into the pricing of similar beers.  4-pack of Dragon's Milk is $16.99.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 10:27:13 am by Joe Sr. »
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 10:33:12 am »
It seems less bourbon forward than I remember also, but then again I'm thinking my palate has changed somewhat since I first had it....anybody done a vertical of it lately?

Yeah, I have some of last year's left and compared the two.  Last year's was much more bourbon forward, in a good way IMO.  But this year's is still a great beer, pretty complex.
Jon H.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 11:04:11 am »
I paid $9.99 for a 12 oz. bottle.  Well, actually $19.98 for two.

$22 for a 4-pack I can see as reasonable.  Not sure it's actually "reasonable" but it fits more into the pricing of similar beers.  4-pack of Dragon's Milk is $16.99.

I got mine at Binny's on Black Friday.

$5.99 each for the barleywiine and the coffee stout

$15.99 for the bomber of Backyard Rye
Ralph R.