Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2 Below by New Belgium  (Read 14742 times)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: 2 Below by New Belgium
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 10:02:00 am »
I reserve the word swill for a select few. I'm not a Fat Tire lover, but I've tasted much worse.

Heh.  Did not mean to imply that Fat Tire was swill....just that I would save it until a swill drinker came by. ;)

There are some Coors original in there as well...I bet that fat tire lasts longer! 
Joe..on a side note, there are only 2 fat tires in that Folly pack.

coastsidemike

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 10:22:26 am »

Well, if that's true, luckily you can make it yourself! A friend of mine made a clone that was nearly spot on - all gleaned only from info on the NB website (nice Walt!). Check it out:

http://logs.rockhoppersbrewclub.com/index.php?page=recipeDetail&filter=wchleva&id=125

Your link is broken, which is really too bad.  I also really liked the 2 Below.  I grow Sterling hops, so I'd like to check out this recipe.

With that recipe, the malt bill does not match N.B.s.  Kinda bummed I can't find 2-Below in SF.

Regarding Fat Tire being decent or not - isn't that a good BJCP American Amber Ale example?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 11:38:42 am »
I reserve the word swill for a select few. I'm not a Fat Tire lover, but I've tasted much worse.

Heh.  Did not mean to imply that Fat Tire was swill....just that I would save it until a swill drinker came by. ;)

There are some Coors original in there as well...I bet that fat tire lasts longer! 
Joe..on a side note, there are only 2 fat tires in that Folly pack.

I was at a buddy's house a week or so ago and he had a Folly Pack in the fridge.  It was almost a race to see who had to drink the Fat Tire.  Not really, but everything else went first.

It may be a good example of an American Amber Ale which just means that's not a style I care for.  I will admit that my style preferences are limited and I deviate rarely.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 11:41:24 am »
2 Below always reminded me of a hoppier, more alcoholic version of Fat Tire. It looks like they both have a lot of the same ingredients including Victory malt which would explain it. I am surprised at those who would really like one but not the other. I guess my palate just thinks they are similar. I don't love Fat Tire by any means but would drink it over any schwill...

Not a big fan of a lot of mixed packs. I usually buy them for one beer which is not a year round release then there is at least one "flagship" type that I don't really care for.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 11:46:42 am »

Well, if that's true, luckily you can make it yourself! A friend of mine made a clone that was nearly spot on - all gleaned only from info on the NB website (nice Walt!). Check it out:

http://logs.rockhoppersbrewclub.com/index.php?page=recipeDetail&filter=wchleva&id=125

Your link is broken, which is really too bad.  I also really liked the 2 Below.  I grow Sterling hops, so I'd like to check out this recipe.

Here's a clone I found online: http://logs.rhbc.co/index.php?page=recipeDetail&filter=wchleva&id=125

I can't say how close it comes to the NB brew as I have never brewed this.
Ralph R.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 11:51:14 am »
I would probably start with what they have listed on their website...seems a bit different than the recipe.

ABV 6.6%
IBU 32
Yeast Ale Yeast
Calories 200
Hops Target, Sterling, Liberty
Malts Pale, Munich, Caramel, C-80, Carapils, Victory

For anyone who is interested, they are releasing a new year round beer soon. It is a blended sour wheat beer from what I hear. NB is usually hit and miss with me...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:53:32 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 12:15:09 pm »

NB is usually hit and miss with me...

+1.  More miss than hit IMO.
Jon H.