Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maybe I'll try a kit!  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Maybe I'll try a kit!
« on: December 09, 2013, 12:51:41 pm »
No really. We were at Goodwill and they had a Mr Beer kit. I've heard from so many that this was their first homebrew and it was horrible.  I checked and the extract has a year before the use by date, and it was only $5. I thought it would be fun to see what two experienced homebrewers get out of one of these kits. Anyone else try a Mr Beer kit lately?

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
Re: Maybe I'll try a kit!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 01:29:41 pm »
My worry would be the quality of the ingredients, not necessarily the date.  If the yeast packet says "Fleischman's", you may want to substitute something else.  ;D

But hey, for $5 it will be a great experiment.  Maybe you'll be featured in the AHA Pimp My System article someday.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 01:47:20 pm »
Not Fleischmans, but it's just "Mr Beer 5g beer yeast" in a plain packet. http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/1190/nm/Dry_Ale_Yeast1  I really did think about using different yeast, but then it's not a Mr Beer kit so what's the point.

According to their website, the extract cans are manufactured by Coopers. I really with it wasn't pre-hopped extract, but for Classic American Light I guess you don't need much hop aroma anyway. That they sell pre-hopped northwest pale and IPA kits blows my mind. And let's not even talk about the lagers.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 02:19:37 pm »
It'll be fun to hear if an experienced brewer can take a below average kit and produce an above average beer with it!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 04:20:09 pm »
Someone gave me a Mr. Beer kit last Christmas. Of course I had to try brewing it. It was also the Classic American Light. I deviated from the instructions quite a bit and fermented at 64F, then dry-hopped with an ounce of Sterling. My wife loved it, so I would say it was a success.

I haven't used it since. Anybody want a free Mr.Beer fermentor?
Mark Gres

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 04:47:17 pm »
I started with a MrBeer kit and to this day I think the beer was damn good. But that was before coopers bought them. I tried some of thier stuff and it was not as good as the old stuff. Brew Demon sells the original MrBeer stuff now.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS