Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Engine  (Read 2137 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Beer Engine
« on: December 08, 2013, 04:55:10 pm »
I'm thinking about buying a beer engine and making some cask conditioned ales.  Anyone have one and what do you think?  I'm afraid I'm going to brew 2-3 cask ales and get bored with it....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Beer Engine
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 05:19:42 pm »
I have a pin sized cask (stainless) and I don't really use it that often.  I pretty much only use it at club events and parties.  Hard to drink 5 gallons of beer within 2-3 days without a lot of help :D.  I didn't end up buying a beer engine... Though my homebrew club bought 2 casks and a beer engine (Which I store at my place...) The beer engine is definitely nice to have with the cask.  If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have bought my pin because I was able to get the club to buy some... and I pretty much only use my pin for club events anyways...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 05:22:51 am »
We have one at brewery and even down there we don't use it very often.

I have a stout faucet and nitro tank at home and I love that. I put my IPA exclusively on nitrogen for home and it's awesome. For home use I'd recommend that over a beer engine.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 05:40:58 am »
We have one at brewery and even down there we don't use it very often.

I have a stout faucet and nitro tank at home and I love that. I put my IPA exclusively on nitrogen for home and it's awesome. For home use I'd recommend that over a beer engine.

Good stuff Keith, thanks!
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 05:54:53 am »
I have a pin sized cask (stainless) and I don't really use it that often.  I pretty much only use it at club events and parties.  Hard to drink 5 gallons of beer within 2-3 days without a lot of help :D.  I didn't end up buying a beer engine... Though my homebrew club bought 2 casks and a beer engine (Which I store at my place...) The beer engine is definitely nice to have with the cask.  If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have bought my pin because I was able to get the club to buy some... and I pretty much only use my pin for club events anyways...

I think I may pass....
Dave Zach

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 06:55:44 am »
I've got one and use it fairly often. The trick is to get a CO2 aspirator and hook that up to the gas post on your corney. That way you don't have to drink everything in a day. That being said the ideal would be a stout tap on nitro, but those are very expensive out here, and very hard to source the gas mix if you're not a professional.

Another consideration is where to put it - these are typically mounted onto a ledge of some sort and need enough room around them to pull all the way through.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 07:00:16 am »
You can make a poor man's cask breather out of a low pressure propane regulator for about $30 or less. They is how we serve the beer with a hand pump, and then return it to a cold room/fridge when done for the night, as we don't go through that much in a night.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 07:40:52 am »
I've got one and use it fairly often. The trick is to get a CO2 aspirator and hook that up to the gas post on your corney. That way you don't have to drink everything in a day. That being said the ideal would be a stout tap on nitro, but those are very expensive out here, and very hard to source the gas mix if you're not a professional.

Another consideration is where to put it - these are typically mounted onto a ledge of some sort and need enough room around them to pull all the way through.

It's the opposite in the states.... The Beer Engine itself is a super expensive purchase... It alone would be more than the stout faucet, beer gas tank, and beer gas fill.  I do +1 on the aspirator... I have one of those.. but you still have to drink the cask beer within a few days... or it goes flat... But then you can transfer it to a keg and recarb....
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"