Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Southern Hemisphere pale ale or lager  (Read 2523 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Southern Hemisphere pale ale or lager
« on: December 07, 2013, 10:33:16 am »
So several months back I committed to two sixpacks of homebrew of choice for a silent auction at church, with the understanding I wouldn't be brewing until December due to my day job/grad school schedule. The person who bought the homebrew is originally from New Zealand (though she has been in the US for decades) and says she likes pale ales and IPAs. She is not a big beer drinker and suggested that the beer should be something that could be in her fridge for several months.

My guess is the beer should not be too powerful--from the conversations, it sounds as if she is not into anything super-high-alcohol or aggressively bitter. I could do an all-Cascade a la Epic Pale Ale and keep it on the accessible side, or I could do Fred Bonjour's late-hopped Amarillo APA recipe but use a mix of NZ hops (Galaxy/Motueka?). Or some other approach. Thoughts welcome. My first brew since September, yay!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Southern Hemisphere pale ale or lager
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 10:59:57 am »
I make one called Kiwi Pale Ale that uses Nelson Sauvignon, Motueka, Sticklebract, Southern Cross and Pacific Gem all at various times.  It's very good although it may seem a bit busy to some.  Southern Cross and PG go in as FWH, the rest go in as late or dry hops.  You could likely use another bittering combination.  I really like it.
I've also done one with only Galaxy and Motueka and that is a great combination but since my Galaxy is from Australia, I didn't include it in the Kiwi Pale.  If you wanted to go straight PG or Pacific Jade FWH and then Motueka for late hops, I think that would be quite nice and 100% kiwi.
I'm thinking I may be brewing this again soon now that you've got me thinking about it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:08:17 am »
Nelson and Galaxy are an insanely good combo.  Stone used it last year in one of their "Enjoy By" IPAs. Really good together.
Jon H.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:26:02 am »
Nelson and Galaxy are an insanely good combo.  Stone used it last year in one of their "Enjoy By" IPAs. Really good together.

I was giving myself a long leash by saying "Southern Hemisphere." :)  Thanks for both ideas. Mulling over a Nelson/Galaxy late-hopped APA.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 05:39:48 pm »
Galaxy and Pacific Gem also work well together.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 08:58:49 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bierwillumpie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 08:28:34 am »
I make one called Kiwi Pale Ale that uses Nelson Sauvignon, Motueka, Sticklebract, Southern Cross and Pacific Gem all at various times.  It's very good although it may seem a bit busy to some. 
Hi there,
I just picked kiwi's in me garden last year and made wine of it. Much worse than beer (i know I'm a sinner ;)
So this month I've to pick them agaain and I'm interested in your Kiwi Pale Ale recipe. Would you share it with us?

greetings from Holland
bierwillumpie
beer your mind while brewing

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 08:12:08 pm »
I make one called Kiwi Pale Ale that uses Nelson Sauvignon, Motueka, Sticklebract, Southern Cross and Pacific Gem all at various times.  It's very good although it may seem a bit busy to some. 
Hi there,
I just picked kiwi's in me garden last year and made wine of it. Much worse than beer (i know I'm a sinner ;)
So this month I've to pick them agaain and I'm interested in your Kiwi Pale Ale recipe. Would you share it with us?

greetings from Holland
bierwillumpie

Sorry, there are no kiwi's in the beer. It's just a name I gave it because it was all NewZealand hops.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 08:48:11 pm »
I hope this is true of Girl Scout cookies

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 10:20:32 pm »
I hope this is true of Girl Scout cookies

I quit drinking Dead Guy Ale a while back for fear of kuru.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer