Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A minor conundrum  (Read 11802 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: A minor conundrum
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 06:32:41 am »
I've always thought someone should invent a siphon starter (who writes syphon anyway? Oh, that was me). It would be two flat wheels in a frame that clamp over the flexible tube so that they flatten the tube between the wheels. You put it on at the top near the racking cane and pull it to the bottom. As the flat part moves to the bottom, it will pull liquid with it - much like a peristaltic pump. It should make siphon starting pretty easy.

Well, I guess I just invented it.  OK, somebody should make it.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 07:44:46 am »
Does the word decanting mean anything to anyone here?

How would you decant without introducing significant oxygen?

Pouring my carboy into the keg would be a lot faster, but I'm afraid it might be detrimental to the quality of the beer...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 08:41:29 am »

Pouring my carboy into the keg would be a lot faster, but I'm afraid it might be detrimental to the quality of the beer...

I suspect he was suggesting just drinking it.

I had thought about just pouring it via funnel into 2 liter plastic bottles and force carbing with a carb cap. As long as I could finish it in an evening the oxidation wouldn't be a problem much.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 09:19:04 am »
I brew a lot of one gallon batches and I use a small autosiphon and rack into a bottling bucket. I get between 7-9 bottles depending on how dense the trub is. I could probably make my life easier racking directly into bottles and dosing each with priming sugar.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 09:53:33 am »
I hate starting siphons.

I'm always baffled by this.  I just fill the racking cane and tubing with water and let it rip.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 10:15:27 am »
I hate starting siphons.

I'm always baffled by this.  I just fill the racking cane and tubing with water and let it rip.

Yeah, but you need to have a container to drain the water into (I know, not that big of a deal) and then move the tubing into your keg/whatever.  Inevitably, I lose the siphon (I get distracted) and then you need to restart it.  It's just a PITA.  Much easier to transfer with pressure, for me at least.

I did the siphon thing for years.  It always pissed me off.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 10:52:19 am »
I have no problem starting siphons. but I was more concerned about how much I tend to leave behind both in the fermenter and in the mason jar that catches the sanitizer/water
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 10:53:14 am »
Yeah, but you need to have a container to drain the water into (I know, not that big of a deal) and then move the tubing into your keg/whatever.  Inevitably, I lose the siphon (I get distracted) and then you need to restart it.  It's just a PITA.  Much easier to transfer with pressure, for me at least.

I have a clamp on my siphon tubing.  I run the water into a bowl, close the clamp and move the tubing to a PET bottle, open the clamp to fill that, close the clamp and move the tubing to the keg, open the clamp and fill the keg.  Couldn't be easier!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 10:54:11 am »
I have no problem starting siphons. but I was more concerned about how much I tend to leave behind both in the fermenter and in the mason jar that catches the sanitizer/water

I don't see why.  I don't lose more than a couple oz. when I drain out the water.  Guess maybe I'll make a video next time I keg a batch.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2013, 10:55:14 am »

I don't see why.  I don't lose more than a couple oz. when I drain out the water.  Guess maybe I'll make a video next time I keg a batch.

like I said, probably over thinking the whole thing.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2013, 10:57:09 am »

I have a clamp on my siphon tubing.  I run the water into a bowl, close the clamp and move the tubing to a PET bottle, open the clamp to fill that, close the clamp and move the tubing to the keg, open the clamp and fill the keg.  Couldn't be easier!

Yes.  I have the same clamp.  White plastic job?  Still a PITA.

I siphon from the top and keep moving the cane down as the level drops, which is probably how I lose the siphon from lack of paying attention.  With pressure, I don't have to pull the tube, go fill it with water, drain it to a glass, blah blah blah. Hook up hose, turn on pressure, start siphon, move on with life.  I have issues.  I recognize that.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2013, 10:58:25 am »
like I said, probably over thinking the whole thing.

Oh, the stuff that keeps us homebrewers awake at night.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2013, 11:22:22 am »

Wellll...  You could always purge your receiving vessel with carbon dioxide from your kegging system.

I was always under the impression that racking was performed because the size of the vessels involved are too large to pick up and pour.

Decanting by definition means gentle pouring so as not to disturb sediment in the pouring vessel.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2013, 11:47:16 am »

Yes.  I have the same clamp.  White plastic job?  Still a PITA.

I siphon from the top and keep moving the cane down as the level drops, which is probably how I lose the siphon from lack of paying attention.  With pressure, I don't have to pull the tube, go fill it with water, drain it to a glass, blah blah blah. Hook up hose, turn on pressure, start siphon, move on with life.  I have issues.  I recognize that.
Start it at the bottom, it is much easier.  Put one of those little cup things on the end to keep it from sucking up too much trub, but I never worry about picking up a little.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2013, 12:07:59 pm »
Start it at the bottom, it is much easier.  Put one of those little cup things on the end to keep it from sucking up too much trub, but I never worry about picking up a little.

THIS^^^

www.dennybrew.com