Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: spruce tips  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
spruce tips
« on: December 10, 2013, 10:11:36 am »
I am curious as to what exactly spruce tips are. Thinking about next year's Christmas beer already. I have a blue spruce in the back yard...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: spruce tips
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 10:22:17 am »
Spruce tips are the very young first growths from the trees. They are very soft and sweet. They do not have much in the way of sprucey or piney flavor when they are very young.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 10:39:33 am »
Oh ok...so I assume my mature blue spruce will not help...

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 10:48:09 am »
Oh ok...so I assume my mature blue spruce will not help...

Actually it will work fine but you would need to harvest some of the new growth that emerges in the spring as they begin to grow.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 10:51:16 am »
I encourage you to try a spruce beer before you brew one.  You might change your mind.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 10:54:43 am »
I encourage you to try a spruce beer before you brew one.  You might change your mind.

+1

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 11:06:02 am »

I have tried beers with spruce tips. I think it can be successful as long as you keep it subtle

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 11:24:24 am »

+1

+10
Jon H.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 11:25:28 am »
I've only had two spruce beers that I liked.  I had some of Shorts Brewing's Imperial Spruce India Pilsner at this yr's GABF and it was a really good beer.  The other spruce beers I've had were just too much and I couldn't drink more than a couple of ounces.  Actually, Alaskan's Winter beer is brewed w/ spruce and that's not a bad beer.

As for brewing a spruce beer, not sure if I want 3-5 gallons of a spruce beer taking up one of my taps.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 11:52:51 am »
My goal isn't necessarily to create a spruce tips beer. The plan is to create a complex, strong Christmas ale utilizing spices and possibly a small amount of spruce tips...

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 12:55:30 pm »

I have tried beers with spruce tips. I think it can be successful as long as you keep it subtle

I think you should treat spruce tips like vermouth in a martini.  Show them to the kettle then put them away.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 01:14:17 pm »
My goal isn't necessarily to create a spruce tips beer. The plan is to create a complex, strong Christmas ale utilizing spices and possibly a small amount of spruce tips...

don't worry about all the spruce tip haters. I say go for it... next Christmas. This spring when your spruce starts to get those light green tips collect a couple quarts and freeze them.

I think Tom Schmidlin posted some good info on the relative merit of the varying kinds of spruce for this purpose.
Here:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=14089.msg179189#msg17918
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 01:25:01 pm »
I say go for it too, but seriously, taste the tips before you decide to use them or not.  If you don't like the flavor, don't use them.  You can try different kinds of trees, and even different trees of the same variety.  They don't all taste identical, and even trees growing right next to each other can taste different.  If you find a good tree keep going back to it, each time you harvest the tips there will be twice as many on those same branches the next year.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 01:27:30 pm »
each time you harvest the tips there will be twice as many on those same branches the next year.

For real?  So you could theoretically make the tree bushier by harvesting the tips?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 01:32:50 pm »
I just kegged my spruce ale. I used my standard pale ale grain bill and hopped with chinook and cascade. I added about 8 oz of spruce tips with 5 minutes to go in the boil. Tasting notes going into the keg was very citrusy flavor. I liked it and expect it to be good carbed up.

I harvested the spruce tips from the new blue spruce growth in the the spring. You want to get them when they are about the size of the end of you pinky or the size of the tip of a small paint brush. I shrink wrapped them and froze them until I brewed it about 6 weeks ago.
Frank