Author Topic: Hop storage at the LHBS  (Read 5035 times)

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
Re: Hop storage at the LHBS
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2013, 08:28:52 PM »
I don't brew a lot of hoppy beers but lately I've really been craving some hoppy goodness. I brewed a pale ale and an IPA and they both had that onion/garlic thing. I blamed it on Apollo hops and moved on. Well I just kegged another IPA hopped with Horizon at 60 minutes. Then Citra, simcoe, centennial, and columbus at flame out and steeped 20 minutes. Dry hopped with the same in very clear beer for 3 days at 65f. Well I just had my first sample and it has the garlic/onion thing again. This really sucks. The common hops in all 3 beers were centennial and simcoe, which came from 1 pound packages. All other hops came from 1 ounce packages. Could this garlic/onion flavor be coming from improperly stored hops? I have a DIPA in primary. If it has the g/o thing I think I might cry.

Just wondering if you have your water dialed in for IPA.

I was getting odd off-flavors in my IPA's that I couldn't place before I began to adjust my water properly.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

cornershot

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »
I don't brew a lot of hoppy beers but lately I've really been craving some hoppy goodness. I brewed a pale ale and an IPA and they both had that onion/garlic thing. I blamed it on Apollo hops and moved on. Well I just kegged another IPA hopped with Horizon at 60 minutes. Then Citra, simcoe, centennial, and columbus at flame out and steeped 20 minutes. Dry hopped with the same in very clear beer for 3 days at 65f. Well I just had my first sample and it has the garlic/onion thing again. This really sucks. The common hops in all 3 beers were centennial and simcoe, which came from 1 pound packages. All other hops came from 1 ounce packages. Could this garlic/onion flavor be coming from improperly stored hops? I have a DIPA in primary. If it has the g/o thing I think I might cry.

Just wondering if you have your water dialed in for IPA.

I was getting odd off-flavors in my IPA's that I couldn't place before I began to adjust my water properly.
I use RO water and add about 2g of baking soda, 0-2g calcium chloride, and gypsum to get 250-300ppm sulfate. Not sure of the exact numbers at the moment.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 04:07:11 AM »
Your Garlic/onion issues is listed on my Beer flavor/odor wheel.  Onion smells are listed as a sulfur component.  Most sulfur issues in beer are either a yeast/fermentation issue or an Infection issue.  I doubt its related to your hops but i suppose anything is possible.  Id start looking for an infection in your cold side equipment and reexamine your fermentation time table/temps.

Possible issues

Not long enough for yeast to clean up fermentation byproducts. (H2S)
Fermentation temp to hot/cold (H2S)
Boil kettle being covered during boil (DMS)
Infection(NFC)

What Yeasts are you using to ferment your IPA's?  Ferm temps and how long in what vessel?

Are these beers in kegs?  After some googling different sulfur issues ive read that you can force carb them and then burp the kegs to have the CO2 "carry"  the unwanted smells out of your beer.

Good luck Man, hope it works out for you!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 04:09:06 AM by Jeff M »
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »
Your Garlic/onion issues is listed on my Beer flavor/odor wheel.  Onion smells are listed as a sulfur component.  Most sulfur issues in beer are either a yeast/fermentation issue or an Infection issue.  I doubt its related to your hops but i suppose anything is possible. 

I'm guessing you haven't brewed with a lot of Summit. It tastes like tangerines and onion rings with a side of Asiago. Sulfur (I.e., eggs) is typically from yeast, but onion/garlic is typically from hops. Supposedly harvest timing and conditions play a big role in whether hops give this onion character.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2013, 02:20:49 PM »
Your Garlic/onion issues is listed on my Beer flavor/odor wheel.  Onion smells are listed as a sulfur component.  Most sulfur issues in beer are either a yeast/fermentation issue or an Infection issue.  I doubt its related to your hops but i suppose anything is possible.  Id start looking for an infection in your cold side equipment and reexamine your fermentation time table/temps.

Possible issues

Infection(NFC)

What Yeasts are you using to ferment your IPA's?  Ferm temps and how long in what vessel?

Are these beers in kegs?  After some googling different sulfur issues ive read that you can force carb them and then burp the kegs to have the CO2 "carry"  the unwanted smells out of your beer.

Hops can give the beer a garlic-onion aroma, IIRC it is a trimethyl sulfide that does this. Summit is know for this aroma, along with some other hops. Late harvest is said to influence the level.

I agree that your could vent the keg a few times and reduce it.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Governing Committee
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »
Your Garlic/onion issues is listed on my Beer flavor/odor wheel.  Onion smells are listed as a sulfur component.  Most sulfur issues in beer are either a yeast/fermentation issue or an Infection issue.  I doubt its related to your hops but i suppose anything is possible. 

I'm guessing you haven't brewed with a lot of Summit. It tastes like tangerines and onion rings with a side of Asiago. Sulfur (I.e., eggs) is typically from yeast, but onion/garlic is typically from hops. Supposedly harvest timing and conditions play a big role in whether hops give this onion character.

Correct, ive been more focused learning the science behind brewing since i started brewing 18 months ago.  i figure experience with ingredients(aka the art side to me) will come with experience:)  Just trying to proactively help OP.  Ive read other posts while using google to troubleshoot that had the end result being one of those issues.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

cornershot

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »

Possible issues

Infection(NFC)

Jeff M, thanks for the insight. It's never a bad idea to review one's process when there's an issue.
I have been using 1056 or wlp090 for my APA/IPA. I ferment at 65-67f and raise the temperature to ~72 when fermentation activity begins to slow after about a week. It's held at this temperature for another 7-10 days to allow the yeast to fully attenuate and clean up. When it tastes right, I drop the temperature to 32f over a couple days and then add gelatin to clear for a couple days. The beer is then allowed to warm to 60+ and dry hops are added. After another 2-3 days it is kegged and slow-carbed for a week before serving.
I believe my sanitation is adequate. I only get this g/o issue with certain hops.
Burping the sulphur from keg is a good tip. I will try that.

Erockrph, I love the tangerine and onion rings with a side of asiago description for Summit. That's spot on for my experience with it. Although I have had very good commercial beers with Summit that were just tangerine with a hint of asiago and no onion.