Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Interesting  (Read 1394 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Interesting
« on: December 10, 2013, 03:08:19 pm »
Today while letting 3 pounds of buffalo simmer in a bottle of my Bourbon Barrel Porter along with a white onion, 2 large jalapeno peppers, a large clove of garlic, and half of a bell pepper minced up in my food processor, with half a small jar of chilli powder sprinkled (poured) in. I loaded my turkey roaster up with 100 ounces of chopped tomatoes, a couple cans of black beans, a couple cans of great northern beans, another minced up white onion, 2 more large minced up jalapeno peppers, the other half of my green pepper minced up, another minced up clove of garlic, along with the other half of my chilli powder and turned the heat on. After letting my seasoned ground buffalo simmer for nearly half an hour I poured all the contents of the skillet into the turkey roaster. I left the heat on 250 and went to a Dr appointment.

When I got back I got out of my car and the aroma of cooking onions and garlic hit me. It was heavenly. But then the unexpected happened. I opened my door and the aroma of onions and garlic took a back seat to an overwhelming aroma of fresh baked bread. Evidently the S 04 in my bourbon barrel porter really comes forward when cooked. I tried the chilli and I swear I could detect the flavor of fresh bread. It tasted good but didn't have much of a kick so I added a couple tablespoons of crushed red pepper.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: Interesting
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 07:54:49 am »
I don't know much about S04 but my mouth is watering!! :)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Interesting
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 09:02:31 pm »
Slow food and chili... Awesome!

Makes sense about the yeast tho and the smell. Surely after such a long cooking time the yeast contributed to the overall umami flavor.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis