Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for a good saison recipe  (Read 4844 times)

Offline tomas77

• 1st Kit
Looking for a good saison recipe
« on: March 16, 2010, 07:20:18 am »
Looking for any kind of spices that will fit well into a saison recipe.  I want to use ginger but will anything else work well with this spice?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Looking for a good saison recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:56:15 am »
IMO, a well crafted and brewed Saison doesn't need spices or herbs. Coriander is popular in the homebrewing community. I've heard of ginger being used, and that would be my first choice too.

Try one without. A simple 2-3 malt grain-bill, hops and the yeast. Sample it over the course of a year's time.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:42:59 am »
I agree with euge - however, this is one of the best saison's I make and since you specifically said Ginger I have to post it. I really love this beer with WLP565. Unusual recipe, but this really turnes out nice.

Catalyst

12 Gallons
OG 1.059
IBU 41

16 lbs Pilsner Malt
5 lbs Wheat
2lbs Sugar
1 lb Munich

1 oz Magnum (14 aa) @ boil
1 oz Styrian Goldings (5.2 aa) @ 30
1oz French Strissselspalt (3 aa) @10
1 oz Amarillo @ 2
1 oz Centennial @ 2

28 grams Fresh Grated Ginger @ 5
4 crushed Lime Leaves @ 5
Zest from one large lime @ 5

WLP565 or WLP550

Mash at 150-152, boil ~90 minutes, pitch at ~64-66 and ferment in high 60s ramping to low to mid 70s after krausen drops.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:53:20 am »
I agree with euge - however, this is one of the best saison's I make and since you specifically said Ginger I have to post it. I really love this beer with WLP565. Unusual recipe, but this really turnes out nice.

Catalyst

12 Gallons
OG 1.059
IBU 41

16 lbs Pilsner Malt
5 lbs Wheat
2lbs Sugar
1 lb Munich

1 oz Magnum (14 aa) @ boil
1 oz Styrian Goldings (5.2 aa) @ 30
1oz French Strissselspalt (3 aa) @10
1 oz Amarillo @ 2
1 oz Centennial @ 2

28 grams Fresh Grated Ginger @ 5
4 crushed Lime Leaves @ 5
Zest from one large lime @ 5

WLP565 or WLP550

Mash at 150-152, boil ~90 minutes, pitch at ~64-66 and ferment in high 60s ramping to low to mid 70s after krausen drops.

Saison isn't my cup of tea but I wonder  what a couple pounds of rye malt in place of the spices might do?
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:15:27 am »
Interestingly enough, after reading the new Heironymous book "Brewing With Wheat" I designed a "White Ale/Saison" hybrid with the basic recipe above. Basically eliminating the sugar and munich, dropping the OG to around 1.050, increasing the wheat to 40% and subbing out some rye malt. I split between WLP565 and the WY French Saison. It's ready to be keggged now, haven't tasted it yet.

I'd like to add some flaked rye down the road, but didn't have any on hand.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 10:34:17 am »
Interestingly enough, after reading the new Heironymous book "Brewing With Wheat" I designed a "White Ale/Saison" hybrid with the basic recipe above.]

What?! A new one? I will have to read this. My copy of Brew Like A Monk looks a little careworn...

I got some good info out of Markowski's "Farmhouse Ales" on Saisons.

What amazed me about the Saisons that I managed to "garde" is how they evolved. Perfectly drinkable at one month-old but at a year... Jeebus! Delicate floral notes arose among other nice characteristics. I would certainly recommend forgetting some bottles in the closet. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 05:55:43 am »
Saison isn't my cup of tea but I wonder  what a couple pounds of rye malt in place of the spices might do?

IMHO a little rye would be a nice touch. However, I think a couple of pounds would overwhelm the recipe.
Just brew it...

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 11:46:46 am »
My preference would be the rye. It seems to find it's way into many of my recipes...

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 11:54:35 am »
Saison isn't my cup of tea but I wonder  what a couple pounds of rye malt in place of the spices might do?

IMHO a little rye would be a nice touch. However, I think a couple of pounds would overwhelm the recipe.

I was thinking a couple pounds in major's 12 gallon recipe wouldn't be too overbearing, but maybe it would. Guess it depends on your palette?

After I posted the original rye idea I searched the web. I guess a "Rye Saison" isn't anything new...  :-[  Might have to give it a try some day!!!

So with that said.  Does anyone have a tried & true "Rye Saison" AG recipe?
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 09:08:52 pm »
I was thinking a couple pounds in major's 12 gallon recipe wouldn't be too overbearing, but maybe it would. Guess it depends on your palette?

Ah . . sorry I missed the reference to using major's recipe. While perhaps not being overwhelming in a 12 gallon batch, it would still be quiet prominent . . again in my opinion.  ;)
Just brew it...