General Category > Beer Recipes

First ever personal recipe - smoked ported

(1/2) > >>

codsmith:
I just put together my first ever recipe and would like some feedback to see if this would work... aka taste good.

Briess Traditional Dark Liquid Extract  - 6 lbs
Weyermann Smoked Malt  - 3 lbs
Rahr Standard 6-Row  - 1 lbs
Simpsons Peated Malt  - 8 oz
Weyermann Cara Munich III ®  - 8 oz
Northern Brewer Pellets  - 1.8 oz @ 60 mins
Mt. Hood Pellets  - .8 oz @ 10 mins
Irish Moss  - ½ teaspoon
Wyeast Labs London Ale  - 2 each

Any suggestions would be great!

hopfenundmalz:
If you have used the Peated Malt and like it, go for it.  8 oz. would be enough to possibly overpower the Rauchmalz.

I think Peated Malt has an acrid taste, and I do not like it in beer.  If you want more smoke, bump up the Weyermann's Rauchmalz. 

hamiltont:

--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on March 24, 2010, 06:17:58 AM ---If you have used the Peated Malt and like it, go for it.  8 oz. would be enough to possibly overpower the Rauchmalz.

I think Peated Malt has an acrid taste, and I do not like it in beer.  If you want more smoke, bump up the Weyermann's Rauchmalz. 
--- End quote ---

I agree 1000%  Speaking from experience I'm just not a peated malt fan at all. 3 lbs of smoked malt will give it a nice subtle smoky aroma & taste.  I would suggest doing a mini-mash for the smoked malt & 6-row, and the rest of the grains while you're at it. 

Beertracker:
+3 on dropping the peated malt. Use one or the other, but not both!  ;)

blatz:
use the lightest extract you can find and then add specialty grains (black patent, roasted barley, carafa) to your liking.  don't start with that dark extract - you want as much control on the ingredients as you can get.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version