Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanke brite tank?  (Read 2832 times)

Offline rustybucketbrewing

• 1st Kit
Sanke brite tank?
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:16:33 pm »
I've been searching the net for info on this topic...lots of info for making a FV out of a Sanke but not much with regards to making a Brite. Anyone make a pressure rated brite from 1/2 bbl Sanke? I asked a welder friend about SS welding a couple of 1.5 inch tri clamp ferrules on a Sanke keg but he tells me that you have to keep the weld area front and back in an Argon environment and then be able to get to the backside to clean up the weld area cuz it's a mess after welding stainless. That of course would mean cutting out a top lid opening (appears there may be no way around that factor) Anybody ever pressure test their home made lid on a Sanke, or use weldless fittings in a brite tank type of pressure environment?

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Sanke brite tank?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 08:20:21 pm »
Why would you need to chop up a sanke to carb in it? just put it at 40F at the PSi you want and let it sit for a week while it carbs up.  IF you dont want to use special hose for your sanke tap you can convert a sanke tap to accept ball-lock connectors.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:50:52 pm »
What are you mainly trying to do?  Carbonate?  Let the beer clear?  Age?  I wouldn't modify a sanke for those purposes at all.  Sankes work pretty well for lots of different things as they are, so if you tell us how you want to use it we might be able to point you in the right direction.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline rustybucketbrewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 09:35:21 am »
Carbing/dry hopping/clearing are my main motivations. It would be nice to have a 15 gal brite to rack the contents of multiple 5 gal carboys into. Frees up the FM's and allows me to blend, carb, dry hop, clear and package from one vessel....must be why some smart brewer came up with the idea many moons ago. Of course there is the option of pulling out the credit card, but with the cost of FM's, even a little 1 bbl, is likely going to make my credit card self destruct.