Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Reusing bottle caps  (Read 4796 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Reusing bottle caps
« on: December 11, 2013, 04:51:23 pm »
I don't know if anyone has ever tried this.  I was in a pinch about six weeks ago, wanted to bottle condition one beer, as I was kegging the rest.  I typically will mail my brother or in-laws some beer every now and then, that's the reason.  Anyways, I had my bomber full when I started racking into the keg, realizing I had no new bottle caps.  Long story short, I ended having, of all things, a Russian River cap from an old Pliny.  Even used, it was in good repair, not bent too much, so I figured I'd try it.  But, as I was worried about it not holding pressure, I decided to keep it for myself... ;D  Flash forward, to today.

Well, that did the trick!  Not that I'm going to start reusing all my bottle caps, but in a pinch it does work.  Also, I primed a 22 oz bottle with (1) 5 gram packet of sugar in the raw.  Works every time!
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
Re: Reusing bottle caps
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 07:10:44 pm »
At around $.015/ cap new, you run the risk of not having bottles seal by reusing the old caps.  Let's see.......5 gal batch at around $20.00 ingredients, vs saving $.60 in caps.  Too much of a risk, and if you get O2 caps, even better for your beer.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 07:23:08 pm »
Dude, you missed the whole point of my comment...
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:48:55 am »
I've opened and recapped with the same cap.  Can't remember why but it was at bottling time.  Maybe I forgot to add a carb tab or something like that.  It does work.  Better if you're gentle.

Something to file away for the Zombie Apocalypse.  Reusing caps will likely become a necessity at that time.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 01:54:21 pm »
Think about it: a bottle cap is just a piece of metal and plastic. A bottle is glass and alot of people use plastic fermenter buckets. if either of those cost .016 or whatever, would you go out and buy new fermenters and buckets every time you brew?
 I would, however, stress sanitation and make sure your caps get the same rigorous treatment the bottles do. If you are bottling something that is gonna lay down for awhile like a barley wine, then yes, use the o2 caps Same for competition beers you might need to ship.
Reduce, reuse, recycle.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 02:00:06 pm »
If fermenter buckets were $0.016 a piece I would in fact buy new ones every single batch... The reason I stopped using them is because they absorb aromas and flavors (especially if you do a fruit/spice mead/wine)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 02:20:11 pm »
The reason I stopped using them is because they absorb aromas and flavors (especially if you do a fruit/spice mead/wine)
So you'd throw out a plastic fermenter if you used it for Fruit/mead/wine, but not for, lagers, pale ales or bitters? Could a bottle cap used for a blonde, really have an effect on something like an IPA? I mean, I reuse yeast sometimes but only when the batch i an stepping up to would be of the same or stronger type. couldnt the same rule apply with caps? 
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving