Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180554 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1005 on: November 08, 2018, 06:36:43 pm »
Found the Wbite Walker at the local liquor store today. They were not even aware of the rest if the series, I shared the link above with them, so hopefully they get them in and call me

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1006 on: November 08, 2018, 09:35:20 pm »
It's not a cheap lineup. White Walker runs $40-50 plus tax. The Oban will be $63-70 plus tax. The set of 7 was $375.

NY has the 7 bottles as does SC. I would think most would have them in the next few weeks.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1007 on: November 09, 2018, 08:58:08 pm »
Just finishing up a fifth of Paddy Irish Whiskey. Skip this one, it has an odd plastic off aroma and flavor and lacks complexity. Not worth your time.

Good Lord. Paddy? Awful.  You might as well get Feckin or some trash like that. But props to you for trying.

Somehow I dropped off this thread.  I'll need to look for the GOT scotches. Don't like Scotch but I buy it for the holidays (guests).

As far as the sazerac cocktail, most places make it without using sazerac rye even when they have it. That confuses me.

Never had Russels Reserve bourbon but their rye is good. Not something I'm usually willing to pop for though.

I've been enjoying Medley Brothers biurbon lately. 100 proof. Tasty. Reminds me of the OG bib but have not had them side by side.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1008 on: November 10, 2018, 06:24:54 am »
Medley Bros was just around $20 and now has crept up to $27-28. It's delicious either way.

Of the GoT Scotches only 4 or 5 of the nine are new, the rest are rebranded/repackaged for the lineup. If you see them at a retailer who doesn't go crazy with markup then snag them now. On the secondary market the lineup is already fetching more than 6 bills without the White Walker and Oban Bay.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1009 on: November 13, 2018, 06:41:14 am »
Back to our Rye discussion from September. Old Overholt Bonded is quite delicious. On sale it was around $21. Our normal NC price is $25.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1010 on: November 13, 2018, 12:27:39 pm »
Back to our Rye discussion from September. Old Overholt Bonded is quite delicious. On sale it was around $21. Our normal NC price is $25.

I'll have to see if it goes on sale.  When the guy at Binny's told me it was good for mixing, I didn't feel like spending up for the BIB.  But maybe he didn't know what he was talking about.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1011 on: November 14, 2018, 05:41:18 pm »
FWIW I drank it neat.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #1012 on: November 14, 2018, 07:16:35 pm »

Old Overholt and Old Grand-Dad are both under the Jim Beam/Suntory umbrella. That makes me curious now how similar they might be. I really liked the Old GDD. Part of the reason I picked out the Old GDD above having read about it here was it was labeled as "High Rye Mash".. Not marketed as a "rye whiskey" since it's bourbon but it has rye in it.  I know I've had the Old Overholt (not bonded) before but I don't remember much about it.  Someone gave us a half bottle to finish off and we probably mixed it with Coke.  I'll keep an eye out for the Bonded.

Old Overholt is about the same price here (Oregon) as Old Grand-Dad.  Overholt is about a buck cheaper in both the 4 yr 80 proof and BIB 100.  17.95 vs 19.95 and 23.95 vs 24.95.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1013 on: November 15, 2018, 07:09:47 am »
I gravitate toward the Bonded versions. OGD BiB is fantastic.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1014 on: November 15, 2018, 04:20:51 pm »
Stopped in at Binny's today because they were having a pretty good sale and I needed to get a case of white wine for the wife.

Came out with a bottle of OGD 114 (they had a bunch).  Asked the guy in the department (who maybe is the whiskey buyer) what he thought of it.  Not only did he like it, but he offered to go in back and get me his last bottle of E.H. Taylor small batch.  So I bought that, too.  Reviews to come.

Had to buy a bottle of Yellow Spot Irish Whiskey to pay off a bet.  I'll report on that if the winner chooses to share.

Asked about the GoT Scotches.  They have all but the Oban.  $450 for the set.  I took a pass for today.  It was already a pricey afternoon and, as you may know, I don't like Scotch.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #1015 on: November 28, 2018, 10:28:31 am »
I found all the GOT bottles except Oban As well. Right around $450 all in for 8. Lotsz of brands I have not tried before, so looking forward to them

Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #1016 on: November 28, 2018, 10:29:36 am »
Also saw the OGD 114 and 100 BIB, but holding off for a while on those but definitely  interested

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:27:45 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #1017 on: November 28, 2018, 11:00:11 am »
Speaking of spending too much on whiskey, I got an advent calendar again this year from The Spirit Company.  It was fun the last two years opening the windows and enjoying a little dram each day.  This year we got world whiskey, last year was Irish and the year before Scotch.  Fun stuff.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Robert

« Reply #1018 on: November 28, 2018, 11:54:46 am »
Speaking of spending too much on whiskey, I got an advent calendar again this year from The Spirit Company.  It was fun the last two years opening the windows and enjoying a little dram each day.  This year we got world whiskey, last year was Irish and the year before Scotch.  Fun stuff.
I'll have to try that next year.  Something like that could get me back in the Christmas spirit (pun fully intended. )
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #1019 on: November 28, 2018, 02:17:18 pm »
Going back to pricing on the GOT Scotch, I got the 7 for $386+ tax. The one that stands out though is the Lagavulin. 9 year Islay single and that article puts it at MSRP of $46.99. My retailer had the rest at $4-5 over MSRP but that one was at $72.99. Really wish I had compared pricing in the article before I bought that one. 2 stores told me today that the Oban is not available yet. The second store was quite surprised that I was able to get the set of 7 already as they have not gotten their first/only shipment off them yet

Frank L.