Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 183028 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1155 on: June 25, 2020, 07:28:23 pm »
Finishing off a bottle of Knob Creek Rye tonight. I'd had it before and forgotten just how nice a bottle it is. I think I still prefer Old Overholt Bonded for it's price point, but you won't go wrong picking up a bottle of KC Rye.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #1156 on: July 27, 2020, 05:01:15 pm »
Quite happy to walk into Park Liquor and Wine just inside Gatlinburg, TN Corp limits. 6 bottles of this sitting in the shelf. Well now only 4!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1157 on: July 28, 2020, 04:58:31 pm »
I liked the Oban GOT. I overpaid for several bottles of it. Oh well.

Finished up a Cooper's Craft 100 last night. Boring is the best way to describe it.

Helped a guy out and bought a bottle of Legent. I really enjoyed it and may have to snag another bottle the next time I see it.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #1158 on: July 28, 2020, 05:05:06 pm »
Mike, what was price of overpaying? I never saw it in Ohio, Kentucky, or Indiana so when I saw it last night I bought 2 at $84. Probably too high for what it's worth, but now I can enjoy one and still have one for the set

Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1159 on: July 29, 2020, 02:41:32 pm »
I think I may have paid $110 or 120 for some of my bottles. I try not to think about it. ;)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #1160 on: July 29, 2020, 08:09:02 pm »
Yeah, I can feel that. That trip cost me over $300 in a resort type of town. 2 of the Oban, a handle of Maker's for the wife and a fifth of the Singleton from the Glendullan Distillery for me. Still worth it with the Oban's, and the Singleton is amazing!

Frank L.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1161 on: July 29, 2020, 08:36:17 pm »
At least Evan Williams BiB is on sale this month. $26 for a half gallon. Told my wife I'm going to go get one. Little does she know what that actually means. ;)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #1162 on: July 29, 2020, 09:03:32 pm »
One case?

Frank L.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1163 on: July 30, 2020, 12:42:39 pm »
I don't know if it's been discussed, but any Whistle Pig fans? I have a bottle of the 10 year I'm working on. My dad gifted it to me for xmas last year. Stuff runs about $80 a bottle. It's good, pretty spicy and has a decent burn.

My normal cutoff is $40 a bottle, meaning, I don't typically buy bourbon that is below that line as I think the quality drops off below that. But I don't drink bourbon or whiskey a lot, so I want something quality when I do. Maybe that's a bit snobbish.
Jesse

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1164 on: July 30, 2020, 07:17:57 pm »
I've liked much of the WP I have had, but only one bottle I got for a steal has seemed worth the price of admission.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1165 on: July 30, 2020, 07:22:47 pm »
I kind of feel like above $40 is where marketing takes over. Kind of tricky part of shopping the duty free shop in the airport, you start seeing liquor where they've probably spent more on the packaging then the product.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1166 on: August 06, 2020, 03:17:57 pm »
I kind of feel like above $40 is where marketing takes over. Kind of tricky part of shopping the duty free shop in the airport, you start seeing liquor where they've probably spent more on the packaging then the product.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hmm this is an interesting thought. I can see this, but I do feel the bourbon is generally better quality above $40. Although, I just finished off a bottle of Elijah Craig that I got for $22 at Costco that was surprisingly good. So, maybe I should change my thinking on the $40 rule.
Jesse

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1167 on: August 07, 2020, 06:59:04 am »
Try this, pick 4 to 8 Bourbons with the majority being under $30 and two being something you love in a similar alcohol level. For instance at ~100 proof:
OGD BiB, EW BiB, Virgin, Early Times BiB, JTS Brown BiB, WT 101, and then an EHT SB and EHT SiB. Have someone else pour them in similar glassware and mix them up so you are unaware of which is which. Spend an hour or more trying them and then line up from the one you love to the one you hate. If you don't dislike any then just rank them. You might be surprised what comes out on top.

I have a friend, who is a homebrewer, and who is also a Whisky judge at an international competition. Despite his experience and knowledge he relegates EW BiB as a bottom shelf mixer. I don't think he has ever tried what I suggest above. I think he is making the mistake most do and not allowing he palate to make the decision.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #1168 on: August 07, 2020, 08:33:05 am »
Have you seen this Mdixon? Found at our local, marked down almost 50% from what they say is their regular price. 15year old from Mortlach Distillery

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:35:15 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1169 on: August 07, 2020, 09:02:58 am »
I have one and paid normal retail for it. Haven't tried it yet. If I found it at half ($70-75) I would probably buy a few.