Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 183008 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1200 on: November 24, 2020, 05:30:07 pm »
In our area you have to get in a Bourbon Lottery to get the highly sought after bottles. I didn't win, but my wife did. On Friday I'll be the proud owner of a 2020 Eagle Rare 17 at MSRP. It's currently going for $1400 on secondary so it's might only be visiting. ;)

On another note, Wild Turkey 101 went on sale for $20 and it is pretty much delicious. I had forgotten how good it is.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1201 on: November 25, 2020, 10:22:58 am »
In our area you have to get in a Bourbon Lottery to get the highly sought after bottles. I didn't win, but my wife did. On Friday I'll be the proud owner of a 2020 Eagle Rare 17 at MSRP. It's currently going for $1400 on secondary so it's might only be visiting. ;)

On another note, Wild Turkey 101 went on sale for $20 and it is pretty much delicious. I had forgotten how good it is.
I picked up their rye and it's been pretty tasty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1202 on: November 25, 2020, 12:27:54 pm »
Bought a couple bottles of Old Forester 1920 today. Pretty tasty. Nice nose but at first it had a touch of, maybe too much alcohol but to be fair, I didn't let it breath to long. The finish was decent too. I also had a bottle of 1910 so decided to mix 50/50 1910-1920..... not bad!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1203 on: December 02, 2020, 06:10:29 am »
Think we hit on this sometime back, but The Walking Dead Bourbon isn't bad at all. Supposedly it's Heaven Hill sourced juice. I've seen several looking down the nose at it, but if you find a bottle for ~$30 then it's a decent buy.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1204 on: December 02, 2020, 07:23:01 pm »
Y'all are 80 pages into this so I can't go back and follow everything y'all have discussed.  Health issues forced me to cut waaaay back on beer so I turned into my Dad and started drinking Scotch.  He drank Cutty Sark, I prefer Glenlivet and Glenfiddich.  But I also like bourbon, and rye is my second favorite after good Scotch.  As a retired senior citizen I can't afford the high dollar stuff but I do like the Woodford Reserve Rye(sometimes the bourbon) and at $26 I can afford them.  Elijah Craig isn't bad, I like Basil Hayden, but in the end I'm enjoying the single malt Scotch or rye.  A niece's wife is a serious Scotch drinker, a visit to their house may involve sampling 10 different whiskeys of all types(and we stay there for the night).
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1205 on: December 02, 2020, 07:42:33 pm »
Anyone have a quick guide to the portfolio's of some of these bigger companies (i.e. Heaven Hill)? Any tips on what's a good value and what I should skip?

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1206 on: December 04, 2020, 07:07:06 am »
Anyone have a quick guide to the portfolio's of some of these bigger companies (i.e. Heaven Hill)? Any tips on what's a good value and what I should skip?

It all depends upon what you like. The best HH value is Evan Williams BiB. Next up is Elijah Craig. Of course you might find Fighting Cock 103 to be your cup of tea or Mellow Corn. Larceny isn't bad either. On the rye side of the house Rittenhouse is good and Pikesville is outstanding, but the price of admission for Pikesville might be off-putting.

My suggestion is to try everything budget to see if you like it or if you need to mix it. Very few Bourbons are drain pours. I despised George Dickel BiB and gave it away rather than dumping it. I kinda hate Old Tub so I may try a mixed drink to see if it is worth keeping or a dump. Out of all the spirits I've consumed there are less than 10 I ended up having to give away or trash.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1207 on: December 04, 2020, 07:19:45 pm »
Heaven Hill has rebates on their website. Evan Williams BiB has a $10 on two handles or three fifths. Good for anything bought in 2020 (with a receipt) through the end of January 2021.

Code: EW20204 (Valid in all markets except AR, IN, TX, UT, WI)
www.heavenhill.com/rebate

Also have a rebate on Larceny.
OFFER CODE: LAR201901 (NOT VALID In AR CA IN TX UT and WI)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #1208 on: December 12, 2020, 02:11:51 pm »
My wife just brought me home a bottle of Whistlepig Rye Whiskey. This is much better than what I’m used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #1209 on: December 13, 2020, 03:00:38 pm »
Someone sent me a bottle of this last week.  I don't drink much whiskey, but I'm looking forward to tasting this one.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1210 on: December 13, 2020, 07:19:04 pm »
Someone sent me a bottle of this last week.  I don't drink much whiskey, but I'm looking forward to tasting this one.

You can send that up my way!! ;D

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #1211 on: December 13, 2020, 07:27:11 pm »

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you try it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1212 on: December 14, 2020, 07:27:50 am »
A $300 bottle? I need people to send me things like that! Congrats!!!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1213 on: December 19, 2020, 12:27:42 pm »
Not a fan of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye. It has a very odd mint, think spearmint, character. I'll try it again neat, but suspect I'll end up having to mix it to make it suitable for my tastes.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #1214 on: December 20, 2020, 05:47:22 pm »
Mixon, where is the secondary market. It looks like mercurial has gone the way of ebay, with only "empty, commemorative, rare bottles"

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)