Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 182833 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1215 on: December 21, 2020, 06:34:14 am »
Facebook, but the groups typically only last a few weeks. Currently Pappy products are mostly not allowed due to counterfeits. At one time you could snag a bargain. I haven't seen a bargain all year.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #1216 on: December 22, 2020, 03:20:15 pm »
We were fortunate to have received this from generous friends from Nashville. 
I never had wheated bourbon.  It is excellent. Smooth with balanced sweetness and alcohol heat.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #1217 on: December 22, 2020, 03:30:08 pm »
We were fortunate to have received this from generous friends from Nashville. 
I never had wheated bourbon.  It is excellent. Smooth with balanced sweetness and alcohol heat.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I enjoy Weller. I get a nice toasted marshmallow flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1218 on: December 23, 2020, 07:19:26 am »
Nice!

The Weller Antique was a shelf turd in 2014 for $25. Now it's $50 and you cannot find it in NC. Weller 12 was $27 before and now it's $45 and another bottle you can't find.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #1219 on: December 23, 2020, 07:40:38 am »
Nice!

The Weller Antique was a shelf turd in 2014 for $25. Now it's $50 and you cannot find it in NC. Weller 12 was $27 before and now it's $45 and another bottle you can't find.
Our friend said its really hard to find in Tennessee but he has a friend who owns a package store and is able to score it.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1220 on: December 23, 2020, 08:00:24 am »
12 has always been tough to find in my area. As I understand it they routinely see it in Ohio and Texas.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1221 on: December 24, 2020, 03:59:33 pm »
12 has always been tough to find in my area. As I understand it they routinely see it in Ohio and Texas.

Thats correct for Ohio. Walk into the state store and its stacked 4 cases high and side by side. Its good bourbon but I find the price hike in the last few years has made it no buy. There are a lot better bourbons for comparable money.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #1222 on: December 30, 2020, 09:28:03 pm »
I just picked up a bottle of Ardbeg Wee Beastie 5 year. I really enjoy the Lagavulin 8 year, so I was excited to try an even younger Islay malt. It's definitely a different experience compared to their older brethren that have more time in the barrel.

As you might expect, there is a lot less wood character. There is also a lot less of that bacony/sea salt/iodine range of flavors. There is also way less tannin. You end up with that smoky, peaty note in the lead and the finish has some fruit and diesel. Its a bit hot on the tongue, but the heat fades quick. What's interesting is that at 5 years I still get a bit of sweet vanilla, but there's no tongue depressor/woody/tannic pucker.

I hope I see more of this trend. I always used to think that older always meant better, but I'm really liking what I'm getting out of these younger single malts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #1223 on: December 31, 2020, 05:47:04 am »
I just picked up a bottle of Ardbeg Wee Beastie 5 year. I really enjoy the Lagavulin 8 year, so I was excited to try an even younger Islay malt. It's definitely a different experience compared to their older brethren that have more time in the barrel.

As you might expect, there is a lot less wood character. There is also a lot less of that bacony/sea salt/iodine range of flavors. There is also way less tannin. You end up with that smoky, peaty note in the lead and the finish has some fruit and diesel. Its a bit hot on the tongue, but the heat fades quick. What's interesting is that at 5 years I still get a bit of sweet vanilla, but there's no tongue depressor/woody/tannic pucker.

I hope I see more of this trend. I always used to think that older always meant better, but I'm really liking what I'm getting out of these younger single malts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That sounds pretty good to me. I love Islay and this sounds like a different experience. I imagine with the high demand for whiskey we will be seeing younger bottles on the shelf.
I bet it would make a great Smoking Gun.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 08:12:34 am by pete b »

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1224 on: December 31, 2020, 07:55:07 am »
Haven't see that Ardbeg, I'll keep an eye out. In NC Scotch tends to languish on the shelves so it's not often new releases hit.

Lately I've been on a Maker's Mark tasting tour. Here's the thoughts:
Maker's Mark - kind boring neat, probably best mixed. $27+tx
Maker's Mark 101 - I'm a fan, this is a delicious Bourbon. $42+ tx.
Maker's Mark Cask Strength - This is a great Bourbon. $45+tx. (mine was 109.8 proof)
Maker's Mark 46 - it's good and easy to drink, but not mind blowing. At only $37+ tx it's a good deal.
Maker's Mark 46 Cask Strength - another great Bourbon, very easy to drink and delicious. The price of admission was a little high at $64 incl tax (mine was 109.6 proof)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:57:35 am by MDixon »

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #1225 on: December 31, 2020, 08:03:06 am »
I was able to get Maker’s Mark Cask Strength the other day for $40. I think it would be hard to beat this for this price. I might have to run back and grab another one.

Dan Chisholm

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #1226 on: December 31, 2020, 07:17:04 pm »
Weller 12 has been my standard for a few years. Sadly, it has become rare and precious in 2020.

So I pivot to Bulliet or something odd and on sale. No surprises on sale - and sadly potato vodka has been decimated as well. I’m still a Dickel fan, but those prices have doubled as well.

Alternative: resort sobriety, good but cheap ass vodka/schnapps/etc.

2020 can sod off right now!

Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline pikalika

• 1st Kit
« Reply #1227 on: January 06, 2021, 05:32:56 am »
So Santa has just brought me this sweet bottle. I really love to try different tastes from different countries and I have never tried whiskey from Portugal before so I'm feeling really lucky. Just loved the taste! Gonna buy some more bottles of it when I visit my sister at her property in Lisbon once the coronavirus is long gone.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #1228 on: January 06, 2021, 03:51:36 pm »
So Santa has just brought me this sweet bottle. I really love to try different tastes from different countries and I have never tried whiskey from Portugal before so I'm feeling really lucky. Just loved the taste! Gonna buy some more bottles of it when I visit my sister at her property in Lisbon once the coronavirus is long gone.

I don't know if the color in the image is an accurate representation, but it looks like it picked up some color from the port aging. Sounds like a tasty one.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #1229 on: January 06, 2021, 04:08:54 pm »
I have had bottle of Amrut before but I am confused because it’s Indian and you mention It being from Portugal. Is it a collaboration?