Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180963 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1230 on: January 06, 2021, 07:00:27 pm »
I read about it after the post and it appears to be Indian whiskey aged in oak or Bourbon barrels, then fresh port pipe aged, and then bottled.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #1231 on: January 13, 2021, 12:34:18 pm »
Eager to try this bottle I found in Tennessee. Have become quite a fan of rye. Have a tasting planned with this, Rossville Union, Knob Creek, And Templeton 4&6 year

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

narvin

« Reply #1232 on: January 14, 2021, 08:04:34 pm »
Happily surprised at how much I like Old Tub.  Kind of the opposite of what I thought of Larceny, which was a huge disappointment.  Also picked up 1.75 L of Very Old Barton for mixed drinks, hard to beat the price.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1233 on: January 15, 2021, 09:22:16 am »
I didn't like my first stab at Old Tub at all. It was rough and tasted like an OT. It's been sitting at the back of the bar for awhile so hopefully time has been kind. After your comment I'm willing to try it again neat to see if it has improved or if my impression has changed.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1234 on: January 23, 2021, 07:05:14 pm »
Polishing off a bottle of Tenjaku Blended Whisky tonight. IMHO it's not complex enough to command the $40 price of admission despite being all Japanese Whisky. Just too light in flavor to keep me interested.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #1235 on: January 28, 2021, 08:29:53 pm »
Eager to try this bottle I found in Tennessee. Have become quite a fan of rye.

If you are fan of rye,  you should try Sagamore Double Oak.  Sagamore is owned by Kevin Plank.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1236 on: January 31, 2021, 06:57:28 pm »
Polishing off a bottle of Tenjaku Blended Whisky tonight. IMHO it's not complex enough to command the $40 price of admission despite being all Japanese Whisky. Just too light in flavor to keep me interested.

I think the markup on Japanese whiskey is pretty high. I used to go to Akashi/Kobe for work, and could get 500 mL bottles of Akashi white oak for ~$10 USD. My local liquor store has a 750 mL bottle for $45.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #1237 on: February 01, 2021, 05:23:05 am »

I think the markup on Japanese whiskey is pretty high. I used to go to Akashi/Kobe for work, and could get 500 mL bottles of Akashi white oak for ~$10 USD. My local liquor store has a 750 mL bottle for $45.
Yes, I like Nikka Coffey Malt, but rarely buy it because it's over $60.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1238 on: February 04, 2021, 01:47:15 pm »
Saw my liquor store had bottles of Dickel Tobasco barrel aged for $14, so I grabbed it. Apparently they age the peppers in barrels, and used those barrels for the whiskey. Pretty smooth, spicier than regular tobasco, Maybe a little spicer than a really hot jalapeno. I get a little grainy sweetness and some vegetal character. Just fine on it's own, but it'd be killer in a bloody mary.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #1239 on: February 04, 2021, 01:49:16 pm »
Saw my liquor store had bottles of Dickel Tobasco barrel aged for $14, so I grabbed it. Apparently they age the peppers in barrels, and used those barrels for the whiskey. Pretty smooth, spicier than regular tobasco, Maybe a little spicer than a really hot jalapeno. I get a little grainy sweetness and some vegetal character. Just fine on it's own, but it'd be killer in a bloody mary.
I wonder how it compares to Ancho Reyes?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1240 on: February 06, 2021, 07:04:33 pm »
I wonder how it compares to Ancho Reyes?

Never had it, but I bet it'd be great in a margarita.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1241 on: February 24, 2021, 12:17:01 pm »
Finished off a bottle of The Whistler Double Oaked Irish Whiskey last night. Not bad, but not stellar enough for me to want to pick up another bottle. It was interesting enough I will see if I can find more items from Boann Distillery.

Someone in a group I am in suggested Fighting Cock 103. I asked if they were serious and they swore they were. Far too much orange for my taste. It might work in an Old Fashioned or perhaps mixed with ginger ale, but I just cannot pull it off neat. I'm starting to accumulate substandard bottles which can only be mixed in some way to make them drinkable. It started with Old Tub, then came the atrocious Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye, and now Fighting Cock. Uggg...

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1242 on: March 11, 2021, 10:09:38 am »
Polished off a bottle of Yellowstone Select which is 93 proof. It was on sale for $37+tx and IMHO was worth every penny. It had a very nice backbone of rye spice which I enjoyed quite a bit.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1243 on: April 21, 2021, 12:15:15 pm »
Slowed down on the consumption recently to shed a few pounds and the entire topic moves to the second page. C'mon boyz, pick up the slack!!!

I bought a bottle of Thomas S. Moore Port Cask Finished Bourbon and the Cabernet Sauvignon Finished Bourbon and while interesting, neither was worth the price of admission. I skipped the Chardonnay Cask Finished Bourbon and I'm glad I did. I'm sure someone loves these, but their too pricey for what you get IMHO.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1244 on: April 21, 2021, 01:59:36 pm »
Slowed down on the consumption recently to shed a few pounds and the entire topic moves to the second page. C'mon boyz, pick up the slack!!!

didn't bother posting when i did, but had a bottle of bulleit over the previous week. had never had it before. not my kind of bourbon, i dont think im a rye fan, and maybe psychological but awful hangovers.

that experience last week really reminded me to stick to beer. strong beer if i want to get drunker.