Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180979 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1290 on: September 12, 2021, 05:37:00 pm »
Finished off a bottle of Jim Beam Double Oak last night. Tasty and only 23 beans per bottle.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1291 on: September 19, 2021, 08:17:38 pm »
Finished up an Ezra Brooks 99 Bourbon tonight. Get some, it's a wise decision.

Also finished up a bottle of Wheat Penny Barrel Proof. It was good, but not mindblowing and I probably won't buy another bottle. On the bright side the stopper has an actual wheat penny in it. I kept it and recycled the bottle.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1292 on: October 04, 2021, 06:24:33 am »
Finished up a Redwood Empire Lost Monarch over the weekend. It's 60% rye and 40% Bourbon. In this case their rye has a spearmint flavor I'm not a fan of so this one won't find it's way back into my liquor cabinet.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #1293 on: October 04, 2021, 10:49:02 am »
Finished up an Ezra Brooks 99 Bourbon tonight. Get some, it's a wise decision.

Also finished up a bottle of Wheat Penny Barrel Proof. It was good, but not mindblowing and I probably won't buy another bottle. On the bright side the stopper has an actual wheat penny in it. I kept it and recycled the bottle.
My store didn't have the 99, but did have a handle of the 90 at about $20.  How much difference is there in the two?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1294 on: October 05, 2021, 12:00:07 pm »
Quite a bit IMHO. EB99 is very delicious. The standard 90 proof offering is kinda boring and really only begins to shine in a cocktail.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #1295 on: October 05, 2021, 12:38:07 pm »
Quite a bit IMHO. EB99 is very delicious. The standard 90 proof offering is kinda boring and really only begins to shine in a cocktail.
I figured at that price, it could be a good mixer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1296 on: October 07, 2021, 04:52:12 pm »
I'm about a third of the way through a bottle of Stellum Bourbon. It's not worth the price of admission so my suggestion would be to pass on it. It's apparently won some awards, but not at my house.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1297 on: October 13, 2021, 07:49:15 am »
Purchased this gem yesterday whilst looking for other delights. I think it will remain unopened for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1298 on: October 16, 2021, 06:41:11 pm »
That's a high dollar bottle of Canadian Whiskey!!!!!!

Finishing up a bottle of Stellum Rye. It's 116 proof, but not really hot. I still prefer Pikesville Rye at 100 proof and 50 beans, but if someone likes high proof spirits, Stellum Rye at 55 beans might be right up their alley.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1299 on: October 17, 2021, 11:41:20 am »
Finished up a Redwood Empire Lost Monarch over the weekend. It's 60% rye and 40% Bourbon. In this case their rye has a spearmint flavor I'm not a fan of so this one won't find it's way back into my liquor cabinet.
Interesting, I might actually like this.  Do you think it's solid aside from the spearmint tones?

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1300 on: October 17, 2021, 03:22:58 pm »
Pipe Dream Bourbon is better IMHO. Of course if you like high rye, it doesn't get much higher than a blended whiskey which is comprised mostly of rye!!!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1301 on: October 17, 2021, 06:33:53 pm »
That's a high dollar bottle of Canadian Whiskey!!!!!!

Finishing up a bottle of Stellum Rye. It's 116 proof, but not really hot. I still prefer Pikesville Rye at 100 proof and 50 beans, but if someone likes high proof spirits, Stellum Rye at 55 beans might be right up their alley.

It has a Canada designation because of Canadian Law. It purportedly has a bourbon mash bill of corn, barley and wheat and some speculation on a 4th grain addition of rye. Cost is speculative in terms as a second market venture, or if enjoying for oneself, then cost should be of no concern. Cheers!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1302 on: October 31, 2021, 09:07:15 am »
Finished up a bottle of Smoke Wagon Small Batch last night. The bottle was clear and on the back label it said it was neither limited nor special. The not special statement was 100% correct. At 56 beans per bottle it was overpriced. FWIW - the back label said they ran out of dark amber glass and used clear for awhile.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1303 on: November 12, 2021, 05:43:26 pm »

No reason to wait any longer. Generally like Calumet and I’m hoping this one falls in place. First sip gave a slight tobacco flavor followed with a expected warmth from the alcohol and a nice alcohol burn to the tongue. I can’t really put my finger on the finish, different, smoked cherry wood and butterscotch I think. Must taste some more!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1304 on: December 09, 2021, 07:38:17 am »
You fancy!

Finished off a bottle which was a pick of Bulleit Single Barrel. it was incredibly boring and not worth the price of admission.

Currently working on a couple of local Maker's stave picks. Both have huge oak presence and red wine attributes. I'm still trying to determine if they are my thing or not. Currently leaning toward not my favorite bottles.

I've gone a little crazy on the Yellowstone Hand Picks recently. I think I'm up to 14 bottles from various places. I have three duplicates which have tater stickers for the TV show.