Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 182549 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1320 on: April 05, 2022, 02:41:03 pm »
Yes.  Jeppson's is renowned for their Malort and not for bourbon.  The bourbon is a relatively new offering in the last few years, so I took a "risk" on the barrel selections.  For the price point, I'd rather get Old Grandad BIB than the regular Jeppson's.  But it was worth getting as a lark.

lol, anyone have a tasting (even if its just an old memory) of what malort tastes like? I had a distant swedish relative who lived in chicago in the early 20th century, they might have had it.

Oh, I've had it.  I have a friend who "enjoys" it and I have reached the point of being able to drink it without making "that face."  Anyone who's had it will know.  I do not keep it in the house, though, but I will purchase it now and then for special occasions.  It tastes terrible.  Aged in wormwood, so it is VERY bitter.

I believe for a number of years it was no longer made in Chicago, but is now once again.  Or maybe just bottled in Chicago.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1321 on: April 06, 2022, 08:18:35 am »
It sounds as if it tastes terrible. I'll never forget pouring a glass of Campari over ice after seeing them drink it on Booze Traveler. It was very difficult to consume. This sounds as bitter as that coupled to a terrible taste. Ugg.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1322 on: April 06, 2022, 11:44:21 am »
Yes.  Jeppson's is renowned for their Malort and not for bourbon.  The bourbon is a relatively new offering in the last few years, so I took a "risk" on the barrel selections.  For the price point, I'd rather get Old Grandad BIB than the regular Jeppson's.  But it was worth getting as a lark.

lol, anyone have a tasting (even if its just an old memory) of what malort tastes like? I had a distant swedish relative who lived in chicago in the early 20th century, they might have had it.

Oh, I've had it.  I have a friend who "enjoys" it and I have reached the point of being able to drink it without making "that face."  Anyone who's had it will know.  I do not keep it in the house, though, but I will purchase it now and then for special occasions.  It tastes terrible.  Aged in wormwood, so it is VERY bitter.

I believe for a number of years it was no longer made in Chicago, but is now once again.  Or maybe just bottled in Chicago.

nice. i googled it afterward and yeah its just a big pile of wormwood, but its also sweet i guess? i grow wormwood here and it grows like a weed. i was hoping to be able to use it in something (i actually bought it thinking it was mugwort, not wormwood), but it is horrible and it does not have any intoxicating effect. i at least tried that once by making a cup of very strong mugwort tea and i felt nothing from it.

It sounds as if it tastes terrible. I'll never forget pouring a glass of Campari over ice after seeing them drink it on Booze Traveler. It was very difficult to consume. This sounds as bitter as that coupled to a terrible taste. Ugg.

i dont recall having campari, but yes there is definitely different kinds of bitter compared to hops, some better or worse.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1323 on: April 06, 2022, 12:29:34 pm »
Now I've had to google wormwood.  I always assumed it was, well, wood.  But now I know it's an herb and can be distilled into absinthe.  Who knew?

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #1324 on: April 06, 2022, 01:48:32 pm »
I love Campari, and amaros in general.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1325 on: April 06, 2022, 02:24:07 pm »
Now I've had to google wormwood.  I always assumed it was, well, wood.  But now I know it's an herb and can be distilled into absinthe.  Who knew?

yup, it basically ends up like a weed, sprouting to the side and building an insanely dense but fine root system/mat. a tea of it is drinkable but not exactly pleasant.

mugwort on the other hand is a related plant (artemisia absinthium vs. artemisia vulgaris), which i thoroughly enjoy the taste of. if you have a chance to sample it, do it. i want to use it some day. it used to be available easily in korea, but is hard to get in canada.

read thujone toxicity/safety info before doing anything - it is safe in sane doses, but people have died after weird things like drinking pure steam distilled wormwood oil and IMHO thujone's "high" creating properties are just a myth.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 02:26:00 pm by fredthecat »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #1326 on: April 07, 2022, 05:45:41 am »

yup, it basically ends up like a weed, sprouting to the side and building an insanely dense but fine root system/mat. a tea of it is drinkable but not exactly pleasant.

mugwort on the other hand is a related plant (artemisia absinthium vs. artemisia vulgaris), which i thoroughly enjoy the taste of. if you have a chance to sample it, do it. i want to use it some day. it used to be available easily in korea, but is hard to get in canada.

read thujone toxicity/safety info before doing anything - it is safe in sane doses, but people have died after weird things like drinking pure steam distilled wormwood oil and IMHO thujone's "high" creating properties are just a myth.
Fred, FYI if you plant mugwort do it in the far reaches of your yard as far away from your garden as possible. We have it here and it is a very aggressive spreader that is nearly impossible to get rid of.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1327 on: April 07, 2022, 08:13:37 am »

Fred, FYI if you plant mugwort do it in the far reaches of your yard as far away from your garden as possible. We have it here and it is a very aggressive spreader that is nearly impossible to get rid of.

yes, i cut it back a lot and spent some time digging out its root system. im tempted to just get rid of it, but the natural soil in my backyard is horrible clay and little is willing to grow, so as long as it isnt in my dedicated garden plots im not too concerned.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #1328 on: April 07, 2022, 09:13:36 am »

yes, i cut it back a lot and spent some time digging out its root system. im tempted to just get rid of it, but the natural soil in my backyard is horrible clay and little is willing to grow, so as long as it isnt in my dedicated garden plots im not too concerned.
Plants like that are actually great for spots you describe. Bare ground is the worst thing possible for overall soil health hence the importance of mulch and cover crops.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1329 on: April 07, 2022, 12:02:51 pm »

Plants like that are actually great for spots you describe. Bare ground is the worst thing possible for overall soil health hence the importance of mulch and cover crops.

the soil here is unbelievably bad, i hate it. ive spent 2 years trying to dig deeper regularly and enrich the soil so i can grow a few vegetables, we'll see this year.

on a more topical note: i bought bushmills black the other day and had a small test sip last night. sweeter than i expected, it says sherry casks and i can see that. i'll try it again this weekend

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1330 on: April 07, 2022, 02:17:41 pm »
Bushmills Black Bush is sweet, as most Irish are, but delicious. Bushmills Red Bush is awful, horrible, drain pour.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1331 on: April 09, 2022, 06:33:53 pm »
Speaking of Irish. I opened a Quiet Man 8 Year tonight. It's quite enjoyable with pear, peach, and hints of black pepper.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1332 on: April 15, 2022, 11:17:05 pm »
oof yea, im mostly done this bushmills black. this is 100% not my thing.

just overwhelming sweet butterscotch, underlying vegetal, the alcohol aroma notes are simply not good, it feels like the most direct whiskey i can remember tasting.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1333 on: April 16, 2022, 07:47:33 am »
Picked up a bottle of Buck 8 year bourbon. Because I’ve never had it before and thought I’d try something different.

Only 90 proof, but it tastes hot. It’s insipid and disappointing. Bottled in CA but probably sourced from MGP. Who knows. Not worth the $40.

I don’t recall how to post pics…

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1334 on: April 16, 2022, 07:49:56 am »

Tapatalk to the rescue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk