Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180956 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1335 on: April 16, 2022, 11:57:44 am »
I had it 7 years ago and it was 25 bucks. It was good when I had it, but not 40 buck good.

Opened up an Ardbeg Wee Beastie. It's a 5 year old Islay Scotch for 45 bucks. First glass was pure ashtray. Hit it again the next day and found it delicious. Hit it last night and it was again delicious. Still smoky, but not like licking an ashtray. Might make this my house peaty scotch.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #1336 on: April 19, 2022, 08:30:55 am »
I had it 7 years ago and it was 25 bucks. It was good when I had it, but not 40 buck good.

Opened up an Ardbeg Wee Beastie. It's a 5 year old Islay Scotch for 45 bucks. First glass was pure ashtray. Hit it again the next day and found it delicious. Hit it last night and it was again delicious. Still smoky, but not like licking an ashtray. Might make this my house peaty scotch.
I'm a big fan of the younger scotches that some of the distilleries have been putting out recently. Less oak and tannin, more peat/smoke. The Wee Beastie is awesome, and the Lagavulin 8 is even better IMO.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1337 on: May 11, 2022, 08:49:57 am »
Finished off a Clyde May's Single Barrel pick last night. It was 102 proof and cost about 50 bucks. The juice was from MGP, but was produced for Clyde May's using Clyde's recipe. It came in a little alcoholic, but was nice and complex. I wouldn't hesitate to get another CM single barrel pick as it was quite tasty.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1338 on: May 16, 2022, 06:53:19 am »
Finished off a New Riff Single Barrel Barrel Proof pick which was brought in by a local group. At 80 beans it was kinda pricey. I see other places similar picks are 50-60 and that seems about right. It was a nice glass, but I'm not sure it was a nice glass at the price paid. ;)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1339 on: May 21, 2022, 07:05:34 pm »
Kentucky Bourbon Trail Views!! Some fermentation from Four Roses Distillery Tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1340 on: May 23, 2022, 08:00:04 am »
Nice!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1341 on: May 26, 2022, 07:04:27 pm »
Finished off a bottle of Jim Beam Double Oak last night. Tasty and only 23 beans per bottle.

I've enjoyed this one.  Haven't had it in awhile, though.  Scanning through old posts to find a bottle recommendation I couldn't remember.  Which was Early Times Bib.  Haven't seen it in ages but I picked up a handle of Evan Williams BiB earlier today, which is delicious.  I do NOT enjoy the regular EW, but the BiB is nice.

I've also been enjoying Johnny Drum.  Not sure it's worth the price at $44 but its tasty.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1342 on: May 30, 2022, 10:53:32 am »
Ohhh boyyy!! Purchased this limited bottling of a blended wheat/rye that did some secondary barrel aging in some CabSauv wine barrels. Absolutely sublime! Great balance.  I should  have purchased a few more! H

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1343 on: May 30, 2022, 10:56:23 am »
Ohhh boyyy!! Purchased this limited bottling of a blended wheat/rye that did some secondary barrel aging in some CabSauv wine barrels. Absolutely sublime! Great balance.  I should  have purchased a few more! H

I should have added that this was purchased at Lux Row Distillery in Bardstown, KY. Will definitely revisit this gem!

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
« Reply #1344 on: June 27, 2022, 03:15:54 pm »
I normally drink bourbon, and have been on a Jefferson's Ocean Aged at sea kick for several years.  I first gave a bottle to one of my bosses when he transferred and got hooked.  Not a$25 bottle though. 

Try Monkey Shoulder for a scotch in the $20-30 range.  Iron's One from Huntsville, AL is a pretty good bourbon in the $30 range.

I just got four bottles, 2 bourbon and 2 scotch for my retirement from some friends.  So I am in the good stuff for a while.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1345 on: September 30, 2022, 10:24:45 am »
About to finish off Compass Box Artist Blend. I think it was around 45 bucks so not the cheapest bottle on the planet. It did have a nice complexity to the flavor so in the end I arrived at it being worth the price of admission.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1346 on: November 07, 2022, 08:23:19 am »
Finished off a Quiet Man 8 Year Irish Whiskey last night. It was a 40 bucks and a nice bottle. The standard bottle is 30 bucks and a nice bottle. Still trying to decide which is the better deal. At any rate, you likely cannot go wrong with either.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1347 on: January 19, 2023, 12:04:17 pm »
Finished off an Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel this past weekend. As much as I wanted to say it wasn't worth the price of admission, I just can't. It was a tasty drop with some nice complexity. Getcha some.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #1348 on: January 23, 2023, 06:23:31 pm »
Finished off an Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel this past weekend. As much as I wanted to say it wasn't worth the price of admission, I just can't. It was a tasty drop with some nice complexity. Getcha some.
I had one of these recently and it was a little out of my price range, but it was very enjoyable!
Dan Chisholm

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
« Reply #1349 on: January 31, 2023, 11:22:16 pm »
When I took command one of my aunts showed up with a case of booze “for the parties I would have to host”. One was an EC, and a Woodford Reserve.
Pretty good stuff.
Submarine JOs really put a dent in it the first year.