Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180535 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 11:47:47 am »
I also found Four Roses Yellow Label to be acceptable for making bourbon infusions. I made an apple pie bourbon that's not half bad with Four Roses. $20 for 1.75L.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 12:34:51 pm »
very old Barton is rot gut though. Shocked you find it acceptable. But just goes to show you different strokes....

Haven't bought it in a couple years.  Better than Evan Williams for sure, but like I said it needed some water.  We're talking $12 fifths and at that price point I thought it was among the better ones I tried.  And I tried a whole bunch. I guess it's kind of like arguing about who is the tallest midget. I don't recommend any of the Heaven Hill bottles, BTW.

Have you had any of the Weller?  I'd be interested in your take.  My recollection is the Special Reserve was pretty good.  I had a bottle of the Antique and found it a little rough.  In the same vein as the VOB.  Needed some water.  A bit harsh.  And of course I bought the 1.75L.

I'd like to try the Ancient Ancient Age, which is supposed to be outstanding.  But apparently you can only get it in Louisville or some deal like that.

I don't mean to knock Maker's.  I've had plenty and may pick up a bottle with the holiday packaging and two free glasses.  But it's just sort of middle of the road.  I think there's better for the price point.  But you can also go the other way and spend a lot on a mediocre whiskey, so Maker's is a solid and safe bet.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 01:26:47 pm »
Agree w/Maker's being middle of the road. No argument there. But for an everyday whickey it does the job for me. I'd much prefer a higher end bourbon for everyday, but I'm poor. :(

I have enjoyed Wellers but can't find it anywhere here. They had a wheat out a few years ago that was great.

As far as Evan Williams goes there was an Evan Williams single barrel bourbon out a few years ago that was very good for the $20 price. I might even go as far as to say outstanding - for $20.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 01:29:54 pm »
Thanks for the replies! I wasn't really meaning bourbon but now realize that the class is inseparable from American whiskeys. And to be sure I'm not really aware of the distinction other than Kentucky Bourbon appellation.

Makers, Weller, Ancient Age, Wild Turkey... Hell they all sound great to me! Aiming at maybe a new bottle every week but not wanting to break the bank either.

And I almost always drink liquor neat or on the rocks. Occasionally, I'll do club soda but even that smacks of being a real pussy. ::) I want to investigate the flavor! Roll it on my tongue.

And never a hangover drinking that way.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 01:43:35 pm »
In hot weather I like a bourbon with ginger ale.  Can't be beat.  Mix it strong and keep 'em coming.

I'll keep my eye out for Evan William's single barrel.  All I've seen is the black label.

Someone should start a thread on rye.  I've got opinions on rye, too!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 02:01:26 pm »
Thanks for the replies! I wasn't really meaning bourbon but now realize that the class is inseparable from American whiskeys. And to be sure I'm not really aware of the distinction other than Kentucky Bourbon appellation.

Makers, Weller, Ancient Age, Wild Turkey... Hell they all sound great to me! Aiming at maybe a new bottle every week but not wanting to break the bank either.

And I almost always drink liquor neat or on the rocks. Occasionally, I'll do club soda but even that smacks of being a real pussy. ::) I want to investigate the flavor! Roll it on my tongue.

And never a hangover drinking that way.

I told you, I'm a bourbon drinker. ;) Canadian Whiskey, Scotch, not so much. I do enjoy some Irish Whiskey though. Love me some Rye as well but normally prefer just plain old bourbon.

FYI Wild Turkey is "ok" but the Rare Breed is exceptional IMO.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 02:31:17 pm »
I do enjoy some Irish Whiskey though.

Top three?

Here're mine:

Red Breast - 15 year
Jameson 12 year reserve
Tullamore Dew 10 year

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 05:53:40 pm »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jim Beam Black. It's pretty nice for a $20 bottle of hooch, IMO.

I like bourbon, but it's rare for me to find one that really wows me. Knob Creek is my favorite "top shelf" bourbon, and my bottle of Blanton's is one of my treasured possessions. But otherwise, most other bourbons are passable but don't hold my interest the way Scotch does.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 05:59:04 pm »
Agreed on Scotch.  I like good bourbon, but no comparison for me. Single malt rocks.
Jon H.

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 06:38:36 pm »
if you like peat try Ardmore, I think its a blend but is pretty good and only $23.  if you want to go higher end peat try Ardbeg, awesome.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 06:45:32 pm »
I've had Ardberg and I agree !  Very good.  I'll keep an eye out for the other.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 08:33:23 pm »
if you like peat try Ardmore, I think its a blend but is pretty good and only $23.  if you want to go higher end peat try Ardbeg, awesome.

If you're into peat, then the Islay whiskies are the ones you're after. In particular, the three on the southern coast (Ardbeg, Laphroiag and Lagavulin) have the biggest peat character. They pick up this briny, iodine character from being on the coast that combines with the smoke in amazing ways. Almost tastes like bacon.

The other Islay distilleries (Bruichladdich, Caol Ila and Bunnahabhain) still have quite a bit of smoke, but they're a lot more balanced. Scapa and Talisker are other island distilleries that are in a similar vein to the Islay ones with quite a bit of smoke. Both are also excellent.

Yes, I'm as much of a peat-head as i am a hop-head :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 01:32:19 am »
Agreed on Scotch.  I like good bourbon, but no comparison for me. Single malt rocks.

Disagreed. I like bourbon. You guys can keep the scotch. I never found the taste for the stuff. And I realley detest peat, in whiskey and beer.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:35:27 am by majorvices »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 06:18:25 am »
Totally agree on the peat in beer part.  I like it in Scotch just fine, but the worst examples of Scottish ale (for me) have the out of place peated malt. Sucks in Scottish ale IMO.
Jon H.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 07:00:29 am »
Disagreed. I like bourbon. You guys can keep the scotch. I never found the taste for the stuff. And I realley detest peat, in whiskey and beer.

I had never tasted Scotch prior to this year. But when I did, all I could think as a BJCP judge was: Defect...chlorophenols.  The experience also helped me realize that some people just aren't very sensitive to chlorophenol in beer either. Possibly because they either don't taste it or think it's an attribute (probably from drinking scotch!).
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks