Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 182984 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2014, 06:17:04 am »
Had a glass of 15 year Pappy last night.  Damn fine whiskey.  Smooth, complex, carmel, vanilla, wood.  Good stuff.  But at the price per glass, I won't be tasting it again soon.

This is what I find with so many of the super high-end whisk(e)ys. Johnny Walker Blue Label and Chivas Royal Salute are damn good Scotches, but not worth anywhere near the price. They're something I've had by the glass 2 or 3 times, but I'd never spring for a bottle. There are just as many whiskeys that are just as good (if not better) that don't carry the "name tax".

+1 to the 'name tax'.  If you do some digging, there are some great Scotches for a fraction of those.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2014, 06:41:31 am »
That's why I'm in $20 range and trying different whiskies. Living within my means. Yeah I know it's un-American to do so but right now I'm not going to pay more than $30 for a bottle of booze. All the Scotch I looked at is in the nosebleed range.

How about Scotch then? We've discussed Bourbons. How about a $30 (or less) bottle of Scotch?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2014, 07:49:10 am »
I can't really speak about scotch but as far as Pappy's goes I've never even sniffed an opportunity to buy a bottle.  I've also never sniffed or tasted anything that comes close to the rich complexity of Pappy's 23 year.

23 year was $35 per pour.  At that price, it's worth buying the bottle if you could get it.  Maybe.

I wanted to try it next to the Weller, which supposedly starts as the same juice.  But one can only drink so much bourbon when out to dinner.

How about Scotch then? We've discussed Bourbons. How about a $30 (or less) bottle of Scotch?

There are so many different types of Scotch (Highland, Lowland, peaty, etc.) that it's a whole different animal IMO.  If you want to go that route, I'd start with a decent brand name blended Scotch and figure it out from there.  Johnny Walker might be decent place to start.  But I'm not the guy to advise others on Scotch.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2014, 08:10:06 am »
That's why I'm in $20 range and trying different whiskies. Living within my means. Yeah I know it's un-American to do so but right now I'm not going to pay more than $30 for a bottle of booze. All the Scotch I looked at is in the nosebleed range.

Tell ya what Euge, try Hoosier's recommendation for the Balvenie Doublewood if you've been enjoying the bourbon.  I'm not a huge fan of scotch generally but this stuff I really like. Makes just fantastic hot scotchies on brew day. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:20:05 am by Pinski »
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2014, 08:17:26 am »

Tell ya what Euge, try Hoosier's recommendation for the Balvenie Doublebarrel (name?) if you've been enjoying the bourbon.  I'm not a huge fan of scotch generally but this stuff I really like. Makes just fantastic hot scotchies on brew day. 

+1.  DoubleWood is great.  For ~ $30-ish, Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are entry level, but smooth and good. Nice malt flavor.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #200 on: March 04, 2014, 04:48:53 pm »
Nothing wrong with blended Scotch to get you started. Chivas Regal and Johnny Walker Black Label are the two I'd start with. JWBL is the peatier of the two. Glenlivet 12 and Bowmore Legend are the two single malts I'd pick for entry level. Bowmore is far peatier between the two.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #201 on: March 05, 2014, 11:54:46 am »
Tried a double glenfiddich 15 at the airport. That's a nice bourbon!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #202 on: March 05, 2014, 11:56:14 am »
Tried a double glenfiddich 15 at the airport. That's a nice bourbon! Scotch.

;)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #203 on: March 23, 2014, 11:55:41 pm »
James E. Pepper 1776 100 proof rye.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #204 on: March 24, 2014, 11:10:28 pm »
envy
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #205 on: March 25, 2014, 08:00:57 am »
Johnny Walker Black should run you under $30 for a bottle and IMO the best scotch at that price point. It's a good mix of smooth flavors plus a little smoke.

There are decent single malts under $30 especially if you have access to a bottle shop with really good prices. I can get Macallan 12 for $40 but under $30 you can find decent single malts like Ardmore, Glenmorangie and maybe Glenlivet. There is a wide variety among single malts based on their geographic origin, barrel type, use of peat and so forth. If you want to try something interesting and crazy oaky try out Deanston's Virgin Oak.

Worthwhile blends I'd suggest trying include Johnny Walker Black, Ballantine's, Dewar's White Label, Dewar's 12, Famous Grouse Black Grouse and Pinch.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #206 on: March 25, 2014, 08:21:50 am »
James E. Pepper 1776 100 proof rye.

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:54:35 pm by Pinski »
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #207 on: March 25, 2014, 12:51:29 pm »
Strong! Has a weird finish that I don't particularly care for. A bit of oak along with the characteristic rye flavor. Will revisit this evening.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #208 on: March 25, 2014, 01:00:42 pm »
Dickel 12 just makes me feel at home. Dickel Rye - learning to love it. Hard to find on the road for some reason.

Recently spent time in N. Kentucky trying to find some Pappy VW... no luck there, but came across some Woodford Reserve Master's Collection bottles. There were two variations of the Master's Collection - one light done just in toasted barrels (classic), and the other in charred oak (straight). I got the latter - and it was worth every penny (around $100/bottle). Amazingly creamy and smooth without any of the harshness I expect in aftertaste. Not sure if that was technically bourbon, being from barley - but really wonderful. Opened up nicely with some ice, and warmed into a very fragrant spicy drink. Plan to buy both next time to really test the difference between barrels.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #209 on: March 29, 2014, 10:51:39 am »
Had Pritchard's Double Barrel last night.  Outstanding.

So much so that we almost killed the bottle.

This is the best bourbon I've had recently, Pappy excluded.

The bottle was pricey, but we were celebrating.  No regrets.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton