Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 183015 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #225 on: April 23, 2014, 09:16:17 am »
I really like Monopolowa Austrian Potato Vodka, for Bloody Marys.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #226 on: April 23, 2014, 11:47:15 am »

That's my brand! And very affordable- I highly recommend this particular vodka.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #227 on: April 23, 2014, 11:48:35 am »

Chopin is probably my favorite vodka, but Luksosowa is pretty damn good as well. I don't know what it is about potato vodkas, but they just "taste right" to me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2014, 12:07:33 pm »
Luksusowa is another great one from Poland. I agree about potato vodka "just tasting right" and believe it is traditional. At least since potatoes were introduced to Europe...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #229 on: April 23, 2014, 04:28:59 pm »
Ha, that's funny. We had a family brunch last weekend with Bloody Marys and Mom was supposed to show up with the Monopolowa but instead she had Luksusowa. I thought well, at least it rhymes. Not bad a'tall.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #230 on: April 24, 2014, 06:54:12 am »
That's why I'm in $20 range and trying different whiskies. Living within my means. Yeah I know it's un-American to do so but right now I'm not going to pay more than $30 for a bottle of booze. All the Scotch I looked at is in the nosebleed range.

How about Scotch then? We've discussed Bourbons. How about a $30 (or less) bottle of Scotch?

I'm late to the party but the best "economy" Scotch around here is Te Bheag (pronounced something like Shay Vek, not Tea Bag).  Very good for the money and worth it to have on hand.  Won't beat Lagavulin but nothing does in my opinion.  Wish I could still drink Scotch but I must be getting an ulcer or something because any straight alcohol seems to give me instant heartburn.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2014, 07:21:25 am »
I don't know how we got on Vodka exactly, but my wife likes 360 Vodka.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #232 on: April 24, 2014, 08:01:12 am »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #233 on: April 24, 2014, 08:07:11 am »
http://www.abarabove.com/costco-kirkland-bourbon-review/ sounds interesting and qualifies for the price-point.

Kirkland bourbon, IME, is a bit harsh without some melted ice/water.  It's 100 proof but it's more than just the proof.  I'd describe it a bit like MDixon described Bakers.

It is not bad, and it is definitely affordable.  It's just not a smooth as some others.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #234 on: April 24, 2014, 10:25:09 am »
Well, I drank a lot of bourbon over the weekend.  Blanton's was the smoothest,  Four Roses single barrel was very good as well.  Had two tastes from two different barrels at the distillery and you can even tell the difference between barrels.  Also had Henry McKenna 10yr single barrel BIB  it was good as was Eagle Rare 10yr.  Funny Basil Hayden's was a bit harsher side by side with these others.  Willet pot still reserve was not as rich as the price.  If you get the chance Angel's Envy is really good too.  Had Mitcher's rye and also 10 yr single barrel, it was OK too.  Didn't have any bad bourbons.  Buffalo Trace was good, Evan Williams 12 yr old was good too, better with a drop or two of water to open it up.  Learned that from our guide.  I think for the money the Four Roses was the best value.  Can get it here for about $40 a bottle with tax.  I could drink Blanton's all the time, but I can't afford to.  Best place to buy bourbon in Kentucky, Rite Aid Pharmacy.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #235 on: April 24, 2014, 10:59:35 am »
Well, I drank a lot of bourbon over the weekend.  Blanton's was the smoothest,  Four Roses single barrel was very good as well.  Had two tastes from two different barrels at the distillery and you can even tell the difference between barrels.  Also had Henry McKenna 10yr single barrel BIB  it was good as was Eagle Rare 10yr.  Funny Basil Hayden's was a bit harsher side by side with these others.  Willet pot still reserve was not as rich as the price.  If you get the chance Angel's Envy is really good too.  Had Mitcher's rye and also 10 yr single barrel, it was OK too.  Didn't have any bad bourbons.  Buffalo Trace was good, Evan Williams 12 yr old was good too, better with a drop or two of water to open it up.  Learned that from our guide.  I think for the money the Four Roses was the best value.  Can get it here for about $40 a bottle with tax.  I could drink Blanton's all the time, but I can't afford to.  Best place to buy bourbon in Kentucky, Rite Aid Pharmacy.

Sweeet!!! Sounds like you had a good time. Can't wait till I go to Kentucky in a couple of weeks. I've been wanting to visit Buffalo Trace and Four Roses for a long time.

I totally agree about Four Roses. When my friend was getting me into Bourbon, he always had Four Roses and Old Van Winkle on hand. I enjoy having it around, although I use it as a mixer more often than not now.

I had Angel's Envy the other night at a restaurant, and was very pleased with it. I don't think I would buy a bottle, but I will definitely order it again.
Kyle M.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #236 on: April 24, 2014, 12:10:46 pm »

Dang Red, you covered some ground! Thanks for sharing your notes.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #237 on: April 29, 2014, 04:50:05 am »
Opened a bottle of Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch last night and it is divine. Sorry Euge...$50 price point.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #238 on: April 29, 2014, 05:53:04 am »

Round one.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #239 on: April 29, 2014, 05:56:03 am »

Way to begin the night in Kentucky.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim