Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 18267 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #255 on: May 06, 2014, 06:55:35 AM »
I think Buffalo Trace produces many fine products.

I agree.  Buffalo Trace has a good line up.

Elmer T. Lee is delicious and is better than many more expensive bourbons.

Weller is good stuff, too.  I can't find the twelve year, but I picked up an antique and a special reserve last week.

For my money, I'd avoid the Ridgemont Reserve.  It's a bit harsh and takes a long time to mellow with ice.  It has a high amount of rye in the grain bill, so maybe that's it.  Might be good in a manhattan.

I went on a bit of a spree last week and picked up the two Weller's, the Ridgemont and a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel.  The EW Single Barrel is quite good.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 06, 2014, 08:06:11 AM »
I like Heaven Hill's lineup as well, Elijah Craig, Evan Williams, Henry McKenna single barrels are all pretty good.  One thing I learned down there, the best bourbon I the world is the one you enjoy drinking.  For me, that can change day to day.  Sometimes I like smooth (Blanton's, Eagle Rare) and sometimes I like something a little more robust (Henry McKenna, Evan Williams).  So many bourbons, so many flavors, only so many dollars. :'(  Funny how tasting of bunch of them together, the differences are really not all that subtle.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homebrewing Page
« Reply #257 on: May 06, 2014, 01:17:41 PM »
I often switch the Bourbon during the night. Right now I am trying to eliminate the dreaded Woodford Reserve Double Oaked so it will go away. I've been starting with it mixed with ginger which is the only way I can enjoy it at all. Then moving on to something else on the rocks. Last night everything I had was neat and it's interesting how the flavors change depending upon whether you are neat, on the rocks (which in my case is one big cube), or mixed with ginger (when I am trying to eliminate something I don't care for).
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 08, 2014, 03:39:51 PM »
Just did the Buffalo Trace tour. Really well done, and what a beautiful location. Was a bit of a tease watching them bottle Pappy van Winkle 23 year. Gonna have to buy that ASAP. Going to Four Roses tomorrow.
Kyle M.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 08, 2014, 08:38:10 PM »
I'm drinking a few fingers of the Four Roses right now with a single melted icecube. Realized I hadn't had any in over a week.

It's light, sweet, a bit of oak/tobacco and initially some coconut. But that is replaced by a bitterness after a few sips.

Slightly better than the Henry McKenna but also more expensive...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #260 on: May 11, 2014, 06:45:02 AM »
If you are in Kentucky try to find Town Branch bourbon. That's a special treat, not very expensive either. Has the most wonderful cinnamon character. It's one of my favorite whiskeys right now.
Cowboy. Pirate. Brewer.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 11, 2014, 05:19:33 PM »
If you are in Kentucky try to find Town Branch bourbon. That's a special treat, not very expensive either. Has the most wonderful cinnamon character. It's one of my favorite whiskeys right now.

Will do! They were recommended to us when we were in Frankfort. I will pick up a bottle on the way home.
Kyle M.

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 12, 2014, 04:21:53 AM »
A little PSA - I just haven't found a way to love Bernheim Wheat Whiskey. It's a bit too hot and alcoholic to enjoy alone and doesn't have enough character to mix. Neat was hot, with water was the best of a bad bunch, and with ice just became a mess. I tried with ginger and it's pretty boring that way so I jazzed it up and you can't fix boring. Best attribute it had was a sub 25 bean price point.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #263 on: May 12, 2014, 07:57:56 AM »

I went on a bit of a spree last week and picked up the two Weller's, the Ridgemont and a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel. The EW Single Barrel is quite good.

Glad to hear you say that since I recommended it early on in this thread and someone (Dixon?) said it was not good. I remember it being a really nice whiskey for the price.
Cowboy. Pirate. Brewer.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 12, 2014, 08:03:41 AM »

I went on a bit of a spree last week and picked up the two Weller's, the Ridgemont and a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel. The EW Single Barrel is quite good.

Glad to hear you say that since I recommended it early on in this thread and someone (Dixon?) said it was not good. I remember it being a really nice whiskey for the price.

It could have been me crapping all over Evan Williams.  The regular black label is horrid and but for the recommendations here I would have avoided anything else by them.

Tasted both (well, actually made someone else do it) side by side last Wed.  No comparison.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 12, 2014, 08:09:24 AM »
I didn't like it. I'll take the blame. ;)

It wasn't awful or anything, but there are better options.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 12, 2014, 10:55:17 AM »
I'm out of town and brought a bottle of Tom Sims with me. A little on the thin side and not very complex but a nice sipper all the same. Especially for the price.

In fact I've enjoyed all the bourbons tried so far. Definitely they have been of varying quality and perhaps in a couple years I'll be more discerning and will turn my nose at a majority of them. But enjoyable all the same.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 12, 2014, 11:43:17 AM »
Just did the Buffalo Trace tour. Really well done, and what a beautiful location. Was a bit of a tease watching them bottle Pappy van Winkle 23 year. Gonna have to buy that ASAP. Going to Four Roses tomorrow.

Good luck finding Pappy.  It's on allocation and a lot goes over seas.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 12, 2014, 05:03:28 PM »

Good luck finding Pappy.  It's on allocation and a lot goes over seas.

Yup. They were bottling it for the Japanese buyers who were standing by watching them bottle it.
Kyle M.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 28, 2014, 06:40:11 PM »
Tonight it is "Rebel Yell" Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey. Oooweee....!! Original time honored recipe.

I'm getting that coconut caramel finish again.