Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 182525 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #270 on: June 04, 2014, 09:10:15 am »
Delicious whiskey tasting in Portland. Stumbled across this micro distillery. They were closed but very kind gentleman have us a personal tour and then let us saddle up to the bar and sample his fantastic whiskeys. I was able to buy two bottles to take back home. I'll report tasting notes when I sober up.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #271 on: June 24, 2014, 08:01:56 pm »
Crazy day in the stores today. Picked up two Elmer T Lee, another bottle of Colonel EH Taylor, a bottle of Old Medley 12 Year and a bottle of Wathen's Single Barrel. It might be awhile till I can work these into the queue.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #272 on: June 24, 2014, 08:15:05 pm »
Elmer and Wathen's are two of my favorites.   I look forward to your reviews.

I'm currently enjoying some Weller 12 year and have also tried blending it with Antique for the Poor Man's Pappy. 
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #273 on: June 25, 2014, 06:44:13 am »
I should have said I got the Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch. I do not like the EH Taylor Rye and cannot find the EH Taylor Single Barrel (yet). The small batch is a $40 price point. I think the Single Barrel is about twice that.

Rye - what's funny about the Rye is the price is $70 in most stores along the NC border in SC, with the exception of one which has it at $105. I tried it in a brewpub which had an outstanding selection of Bourbons and hated it.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #274 on: June 25, 2014, 08:09:53 am »
I should have said I got the Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch. I do not like the EH Taylor Rye and cannot find the EH Taylor Single Barrel (yet). The small batch is a $40 price point. I think the Single Barrel is about twice that.

Rye - what's funny about the Rye is the price is $70 in most stores along the NC border in SC, with the exception of one which has it at $105. I tried it in a brewpub which had an outstanding selection of Bourbons and hated it.

Glad I went with the Small Batch then. I think Elmer is my favorite for its price. It has that nice big creamy mouthfeel.

Anyone try Wild Turkey Rare Breed? A store clerk was trying to sell me hard on it. Was a bit pricey for me at that moment.
Kyle M.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #275 on: June 25, 2014, 07:03:09 pm »
I have a bottle of Russel's Reserve 10 year in the queue, if I like it I might have to try the Rare Breed, or if I can find the RB at a bar I will try it there.

Three you should skip based on the reviews I can find are the Diageo Orphan Barrel Series. As far as I can tell all are overpriced for what you get. Old Blowhard, Barterhouse, and Rhetoric. I cannot find a review that makes me want to blow $75-100 per fifth even if they all are 20 year incantations.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #276 on: June 25, 2014, 11:12:34 pm »
My younger brother loves rye whiskey.  His favorite 'regular' whiskey is Sazerac.  He is going to be 50 on his next birthday so I'd like to get him a really nice bottle of something.  I am a whiskey novice, so I thought I'd ask here: What would blow his sox off?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #277 on: June 26, 2014, 05:12:41 am »
Sazerac is another Buffalo Trace product. I just saw some in a store.

I really like Bulleit Rye, but it's not high dollar. I don't care for Knob Creek Rye quite as much.

That's about all I have at the moment, you might find this interesting:
http://www.thefiftybest.com/spirits/best_rye_whiskey/

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #278 on: June 26, 2014, 08:56:39 am »
Sazerac rye is outstanding.

I also like Russel Reserve, but couldn't get any last night so it was Rittenhouse for the cabinet.

I had a bottle of Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye years ago.  Not sure you can still find it.  If you can, that might be a nice gift.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #279 on: June 26, 2014, 10:36:58 am »
I've had the Widow Jane....it's quite good..
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #280 on: June 26, 2014, 11:40:23 am »
I like Templeton, but don't understand the fervor people have for it. My favorite rye is Hi-Fi Redemption, but it's only $20. Masterson's is quite good as well, as is Bulleit Rye. I wasn't exactly blown away by Hudson's rye, but it was still good.
Kyle M.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #281 on: July 10, 2014, 12:24:47 pm »
FWIW - I got around to it and Russell's Reserve ain't bad. Now I followed it with some Bulleit (both were neat), and to my tastebuds Bulleit was better.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #282 on: July 10, 2014, 12:58:29 pm »
FWIW - I got around to it and Russell's Reserve ain't bad. Now I followed it with some Bulleit (both were neat), and to my tastebuds Bulleit was better.

Same here.  I have a bottle of Russell's Reserve now.  I prefer Bulleit.
I tried a bottle of Corsair Ryemagedon and was not impressed.  Very roasty, but it says chocolate rye on the label so I guess I should have been prepared.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #283 on: July 10, 2014, 04:30:09 pm »
I am a Maker's Mark Ambassador.  My son gave me a bottle of 46 for Father's Day. I've tried many others but always come home to Maker's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
« Reply #284 on: July 10, 2014, 04:30:14 pm »
I only drink whiskeys that start with the name Old.
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.