Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 182584 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #300 on: July 30, 2014, 09:04:26 am »
It's a good reason why many new distilleries are also putting out a vodka or rum that doesn't require any long term aging.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #301 on: August 12, 2014, 06:03:36 am »
Finally got around to the Kirkland Signature Small Batch Bourbon. It's a 7 year old and comes from Beam (think Knob Creek). Unfortunately it ain't Knob Creek. It's like a little brother to it with a fairly strong alcohol presence at 103 proof and a light character in the aroma and flavor. At first blush I'd say skip it, but then you factor in it was only like $25 or less for a Liter and all of a sudden everyone needs a bottle. I tried it neat and on the rocks and preferred rocks, but only because it tamed the alcohol. Probably would be best to me with just a smidge of water. Really nothing to lose by purchasing this one, but it's a bit boring.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #302 on: August 12, 2014, 11:29:36 am »
I, too, have found the Kirkland to be harsh.  But with a few cubes it's decent.  And improves by the 2nd glass.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #303 on: August 21, 2014, 07:16:53 pm »
Skip Old Blowhard and Rhetoric. Neither is worth the price of admission. Barterhouse is good, but it also isn't worth $75 a fifth. So far none of the Orphan Barrel series from Diageo impress me much.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #304 on: August 22, 2014, 07:45:12 am »
Bought a bottle of Collingwood 21yr Rye for $60 at Binny's. This may be the best whiskey I have ever had. I highly recommend snatching it up while it is around. Whowee is it good. I think I may buy another bottle. Seems like a steal at that price.
Kyle M.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #305 on: August 26, 2014, 06:21:57 am »
Lately I've been enjoying the Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel. It was $36 across the line in SC and while I don't particularly love it neat it is fantastic over a single large ice cube. I had the Commemorative version the other night at a bar and it was tame compared to the bottles I picked up in SC. I guess that demonstrates the Single Barrel variability.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #306 on: August 29, 2014, 12:03:15 pm »
Cracked open a bottle of Ezra B Single Barrel 12 year last night. Quite a tasty morsel, but at $35 there are Bourbons I enjoy more. However I like variety and this one from Heaven Hill is quite tasty so I make make it part of the standard lineup. It has a nice smoke to it and toast.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #307 on: August 30, 2014, 12:40:08 pm »
I gotta chime in again and put in a plug for Low Gap.  Distilled by Crispin Cain on an antique
cognac pot still.  Never been in any oak....white whiskey....good  aromatic  smooth hints at sweetness
of alcohol the hearts of the cuts.  No bad congeners .  at 30 bux a bottle you can do much worse.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #308 on: August 31, 2014, 07:04:17 am »
I've not yet tried any of the "white" variants. I may have to give one a whirl at a watering hole to see if I can stomach them. We have a distillery in NC which does a white which to me tastes like moonshine and brings back some bad memories from days gone by, almost to the point of a reversal of fortune.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #309 on: October 21, 2014, 02:32:26 pm »
Purchased a few more additions to put in the queue recently.
Ancient Ancient Age - was on sale at $13 so I could not resist
Colonel EH Taylor Barrel Proof
Rock Hill Farms
Stagg Jr.
Willett Pot Still Reserve
Buck 8 Year
Walthen's Single Barrel
Old Medley 12 Year
Henry McKenna 10 Year

Most recent opening was Elijah Craig.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #310 on: December 06, 2014, 07:45:58 am »
Walthen's is pretty darn tasty...

...that is all.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #311 on: December 06, 2014, 08:41:52 am »
Walthen's is pretty darn tasty...

...that is all.

Indeed! A good friend of mine always has that at his house. It's a good place to visit.
Kyle M.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #312 on: December 06, 2014, 11:59:55 am »
Speaking of "Old" in the name, a guy I used to contract brew for brought in some handles of Very Old Bartons to recharge some old whiskey bbls (don't tell the TTB). We had a couple rolling around in the office and I decided to take one home a couple months ago.  And you know what, it really ain't half bad for the cost. Less than $25 for a handle! I'll probably keep some around from now on.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #313 on: December 06, 2014, 04:12:18 pm »
They actually bottle it in fifths, but I've not been able to find one. A half gallon might be in my future if I cannot locate one of the fifths.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #314 on: December 06, 2014, 05:44:03 pm »
Major you ripped on me when I suggested VOB. For the price it's alright. Glad to see you coming around.

Wathens is a favorite. Old Medley is delicious. I have an open bottle of each in my cabinet.

I'd live to try ancient ancient age. Can't find it but regular old ancient age is a decent sip for the price. Better than decent actually.

Can't do the white whiskey. Haven't tried one that's decent.

I've been drinking rye lately. Have a bottle of JL Pepper open as well as knob creek. Either are pretty good on the rocks. Rittenhouse I prefer to mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton