Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 182974 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #315 on: December 06, 2014, 08:12:25 pm »
Drinking Old Medley 12 yr tonight, more peppery, I think I prefer Wathen's. Wathen's is much less expensive too!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #316 on: December 07, 2014, 05:08:03 am »
Major you ripped on me when I suggested VOB. For the price it's alright. Glad to see you coming around.

Wathens is a favorite. Old Medley is delicious. I have an open bottle of each in my cabinet.

I'd live to try ancient ancient age. Can't find it but regular old ancient age is a decent sip for the price. Better than decent actually.

Can't do the white whiskey. Haven't tried one that's decent.

I've been drinking rye lately. Have a bottle of JL Pepper open as well as knob creek. Either are pretty good on the rocks. Rittenhouse I prefer to mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I am afraid I will have to admit you were right and my nose was up in the air a little further than I am comfortable to admit. I've actually drank half the bottle over the last several weeks. I had to be convinced by a whiskey snob friend (the same guy who brought the bottles over) that it is a good drop regardless of the price. The stuff sat in my desk drawer for over a year.

As far as white whiskey, if you practice the "ahem" art you might have more appreciation for it. Not that I would ever do that sort of thing. Heaven's no! ;)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #317 on: December 07, 2014, 01:11:22 pm »
To be fair, I think VOB needs a bit of water or melted ice to take the edge off, but there a lot of bourbons that cost more that need that, too.

I've always thought if I had a barrel, I'd fill it with some like VOB to recharge it, so I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

And, I know there must be white whiskey out there that is decent but the craft distillers around here aren't making it.  It's almost as if they add botanicals to give it different flavors.  Different flavors of BAD.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #318 on: December 08, 2014, 04:50:07 am »
We have a local distillery who makes a product they call "Platinum" which tastes exactly like moonshine we procured when I was younger. When I tasted it I almost had an immediate reversal of fortune. My system just won't let me go down that path again. ;)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #319 on: December 08, 2014, 05:01:11 am »
To be fair, I think VOB needs a bit of water or melted ice to take the edge off, but there a lot of bourbons that cost more that need that, too.

I've always thought if I had a barrel, I'd fill it with some like VOB to recharge it, so I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

And, I know there must be white whiskey out there that is decent but the craft distillers around here aren't making it.  It's almost as if they add botanicals to give it different flavors.  Different flavors of BAD.

I've been drinking it on the rocks. Took it back packing a couple weeks back and drank it with a splash of water. I usually drink my bourbons with a splash or a couple of cubes of ice anyway. I honestly think most whiskey tastes best when diluted down to about 40%.

As far as the white whiskey goes, I have not had any commercially made stuff I really could say I enjoyed. But I haven't tried a lot either. I did have Buffalo Trace's "White Dog" and it tasted like they bottled the feints. Really nasty stuff. Could not for the life of me figure out why someone would have decided that was alright to sell.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #320 on: December 08, 2014, 08:22:09 am »
As far as the white whiskey goes, I have not had any commercially made stuff I really could say I enjoyed. But I haven't tried a lot either. I did have Buffalo Trace's "White Dog" and it tasted like they bottled the feints. Really nasty stuff. Could not for the life of me figure out why someone would have decided that was alright to sell.

Yes!  That's exactly what the stuff I've had locally tastes like.  Except I want to refer to it as the "t'ain'ts."

I, too, typically put my whiskey on cubes. Only the 100+ proof typically gets a splash of water.  Exceptions to this rule are Pappy, which goes in a chilled glass when I have the pleasure, and anything else that seems like a rare treat not likely to be tasted again.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #321 on: December 08, 2014, 05:55:04 pm »
I try mine a variety of ways and then settle on what is best. I have a huge ice cube tray and after a first taste that is where I go next. I picked up a half-gallon of VOB just to keep you guys happy. $20 and change.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #322 on: December 09, 2014, 07:36:23 am »
I try mine a variety of ways and then settle on what is best. I have a huge ice cube tray and after a first taste that is where I go next. I picked up a half-gallon of VOB just to keep you guys happy. $20 and change.

Your not keeping me happy. If and when I visit I expect to sample your best drops. ;)

Offline brick pig

• Cellarman
  • Liberal Elitist
    • Brick Pig
« Reply #323 on: December 10, 2014, 12:43:44 pm »
I'd live to try ancient ancient age. Can't find it but regular old ancient age is a decent sip for the price. Better than decent actually.
You may already be aware of this, but Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year (as opposed to "10 Star") has been discontinued. This was a tough blow for me; it was my go-to sipper for years. Before it was discontinued, it was only available in KY. I had a network of friends and relatives who would replenish my supply whenever they happened to go to or through KY. This past June, one of said friends stopped to pick some up and ... nope.

I've never had the 10 Star, but reviews are pretty nearly unanimous that it doesn't measure up.
--Monty

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #324 on: December 17, 2014, 12:09:13 pm »
I'd agree with that, 10 star is aged at least 36 months and just didn't trip my trigger for something neat or over ice, but of course would be good mixed.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #325 on: December 24, 2014, 10:31:51 am »
Medley Bros. Bourbon is tasty, but a tad on the sweet side. 102 proof it goes better with a large ice cube. Best I can tell it is 4 years old.

Old Medley is 12 year and 86.8 proof and personally I like the younger brother better. Especially with the lower price point.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #326 on: December 24, 2014, 10:45:19 am »
i will take balvenie (too many good ones to name) and jameson (reg , 12yr, 18yr, black barrel, gold) most anytime over anything.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #327 on: December 24, 2014, 11:38:04 am »
i will take balvenie (too many good ones to name) and jameson (reg , 12yr, 18yr, black barrel, gold) most anytime over anything.

Yeah, love the Balvenie ones.
Jon H.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #328 on: December 24, 2014, 02:18:27 pm »

Mmm hmmm, tasty stuff that Doublewood.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #329 on: December 24, 2014, 02:22:18 pm »

Mmm hmmm, tasty stuff that Doublewood.

Believe I'll be breaking some out this evening, matter of fact!
Jon H.