Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 183013 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #345 on: March 20, 2015, 09:03:53 am »
Interesting. I've consumed a couple bottles of the 1835 90 proof Texas bourbon. Not bad for $20. And the bottle has a real cork. ;)

Labels slid off like... well, real easy so the bottles now get filled with VOB and Evan Williams sour mash straight bourbon.

Serve these two cheap bourbons out of those bottles and all I get are complements.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #346 on: March 20, 2015, 12:41:19 pm »
I'll have to give that a try I guess... just gun shy. Found the Pedernales to be meh... the so-called corn whisky from Bone Spirits to be impossible to drink (although their gin is really nice). Those guys at Bone are pretty nice though - I hate to talk bad about their whiskey.

Garrison's is just rougher and sharper than Dickel or even Bullet... yeah I am mixing up bourbon and Tenn whisky I know.

That distillery in Indiana (name slips my mind) is cranking out some amazing Ryes for other brands... even the Jack Daniels Rye is fairly tasty!
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #347 on: March 20, 2015, 12:47:45 pm »
MGP - Midwest Grain Products
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #348 on: March 20, 2015, 12:55:22 pm »
Mike is that the old Seagram's distillery?  I live about 10 minutes away from there. Love driving by when they are mashing, smell is amazing
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #349 on: March 20, 2015, 12:57:31 pm »
Nevermind,  just Googled  it, and they are one and the same. Gonna have to try to get a tour in there one of these days
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #350 on: March 20, 2015, 01:08:39 pm »
I've seen the Town Branch bottles in various stores, but haven't picked one up. The reviews have been mixed is why I've passed it up.

Try it for yourself. I find reviews foolish in most cases. It's not a popularity contest, it's whiskey!. ;)

We just got Town Branch here, and that will be my next purchase along with Green Spot. Need that for next week. Loving Four Roses Single Barrel.

I'll give the Green Spot a big thumbs up.  Tasty stuff.  Took a flask to the parade last weekend, along with some Tullamore 12 year.  The 12 year was smooth.  The Green Spot was head and shoulders above it, and flavorful.

As far as rye, I've been drinking a fair bit of James Pepper lately.  I like it, though it's not as smooth as some.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Whiskey
« Reply #351 on: March 24, 2015, 06:38:53 pm »
Went looking for Town Branch. It's not shipped into Texas yet it seems.

I saw part of the Bourbontucky documentary and Jefferson's had a little vignette - distilled in Louisville if I recall correctly. Just cracked open a Jefferson's Reserve Very Small Batch, #1119 of 2400 bottles. It was about $50 for a 750L.

Really nicely made. Lots of cinnamon in the nose, maybe a little cherry and vanillan - but this is lighter in color than my other bourbons. A very like oak character, but slightly smoky.

On the downside, their price on Lagavulin 16 year jumped to over $100 a bottle! I got my last one on sale and the box looked like hell - but I got it for $45.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:58:51 pm by mchrispen »
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #352 on: March 25, 2015, 06:13:40 am »
My understanding is the higher end Jefferson's (what you had) are really good. I personally found the Jefferson's Bourbon to be pretty boring.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #353 on: March 28, 2015, 05:58:52 am »
I.W. Harper will be back on the US market in April. Anybody ever had it?
https://mashbang.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/i-w-harper-bourbon-returns-to-the-us/

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #354 on: March 28, 2015, 06:47:13 am »
Never had that MDixon. Let us know how it is if you try it.

I did finally sample my bottle of Town Branch. Wow. Very good. Tastes a lot like Noah's Mill with a thinner body. It will be perfect for the warm months ahead. Thanks for the recommendation. For the price, I would not have thought it would be this good.
Kyle M.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #355 on: March 28, 2015, 06:03:46 pm »
Never had that MDixon. Let us know how it is if you try it.

I did finally sample my bottle of Town Branch. Wow. Very good. Tastes a lot like Noah's Mill with a thinner body. It will be perfect for the warm months ahead. Thanks for the recommendation. For the price, I would not have thought it would be this good.

Glad you liked it! Very excellent bourbon, especially considering the price, as you say.

Offline akwarmike

• 1st Kit
« Reply #356 on: April 29, 2015, 05:29:14 am »
I'm a bourbon drinker. I love the stuff. I don't know prices where you are but probably the best lowest priced "passable" boubon you can buy that is ~20 is Maker's Mark. There's also Bulleit and Buffalo Trace and a few others I can think of.

Opinions being what they are, and everyone having one and all that, I have to disagree somewhat here.

You can get decent bourbons under $20.  Ancient Age is, in my opinion, pretty damn good for the price.  Very Old Barton 100 proof needs a splash of water but is also a decent sipper.  Anything by Weller, though some of them push up over $20.  Weller is supposedly the same juice that goes into Pappy Van Winkle, which is much much pricier.

Makers is OK.  Probably better than OK, but not something I typically stock.  Not a huge fan of Buffalo Trace but it's OK, too.  You can do better for the money, IMO.

In the mid-$20s I like Wathen's and Elmer T. Lee.  In the pricier range, I enjoy Four Roses Single Barrel and Noah's Mill (bottled by KBD but distilled by others).  Shared some Blanton's with a friend last week and it was better than I recalled but still over priced (again, IMO).

I'm told Evan Williams is a decent bourbon at a low low price point.

I've heard the same, and have a bottle in my cabinet.  On the bottom shelf next to the Beam.  OK for mixing or using in a BBQ sauce or mop sauce.

Elijah Craig gets a lot of praise, too.  It's OK.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Templeton Rye base spirit is made by MGP, a bioplastics food conglomerate, in Indiana. (95% rye, 5% barley) That base spirit is sold to several different brands to make several different whiskeys like Templeton Rye, Bulleit Rye, Willet, George Dickel Rye, etc.

So long story short, it may not be made in your home state.

You are not wrong.  Rye is a whole 'nother thread and I could go on an on.  Can't beat the Sazerac rye if/when you can get it. 

Here's a fun read which can maybe also give Euge some guidance on what to try next. 

http://www.gq.com/life/food/201311/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree

I went on a budget bourbon spree last year (or maybe two years ago) and Ancient Age, VOB and Weller were the best of the bunch.  You can also check out StraightBourbon.com and other sites dedicated to whiskey.

I agree that Ancient Age is not too bad rot gut, but it's not great and less than OK in my opinion. very old Barton is rot gut though. Shocked you find it acceptable. But just goes to show you different strokes....

I certainly don't think Maker's is a great bourbon, but is is great for the price. In fact, for the price and for commonly found bourbons I think it is about as good as you'll find.

George Dickel is a brand of Tennessee whiskey primarily distilled, mellowed, and aged in Cascade Hollow, Tennessee, near Tullahoma.  I was lucky enough to stop there and get a tour and sampling a couple weeks ago.  Yes they were bought out by Diageo PLC a few years back but still distill the Old No. 8 Brand with a black label, at 80 proof,  Superior No. 12 Brand with a beige label, at 90 proof, Barrel Select Tennessee is a small batch whiskey at 86 proof, and , No. 1 Foundation Recipe white corn whiskey at 91 proof right there in Cascade Hollow.  The George Dickel Rye Whisky[3] with a green label is a rye whiskey at 90 proof (produced at MGP Indiana).  The process was awesome to see as they were distilling the day we were there.  I do like Makers Mark and Makers 46, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, and Bulleit (Even though Diageo owns them too).  Just picked up a bottle of Dickels Superior No 12, and it's actually really good neat or on the rocks.  I plan on finding some of the Barrel Select next as I remember it was even better than the No 12.  Just a note I found a bottle of Duke Bourbon (John Wayne son is making Bourbon now), haven't tapped into it yet but I'll let you know what I think.

Here is a list of Diageo Brands:

Beer: Guinness, Tusker, Smithwick's, Red Stripe, Harp Lager, Kilkenny, Kaliber (non-alcoholic), Windhoek
Scotch whisky: Johnnie Walker, Buchanan's, Cardhu, Justerini & Brooks (J&B), Bell's, Black & White, White Horse, Logan, Caol Ila, Vat 69, Oban, Talisker, Lagavulin, Glen Ord, Glenkinchie, Dalwhinnie, Cragganmore, Clynelish, Singleton, Haig, Royal Lochnagar, Glen Elgin, Knockando, The Dimple Pinch
Vodka: Smirnoff, Cîroc, Silent Sam, Popov, Ketel One
Gin: Gordon's, Tanqueray, Booth's, Nolet's Gin
Rum: Captain Morgan, Bundaberg, Pampero, Cacique, Myers's, Zacapa
Bourbon: Bulleit, Orphan Barrel[34]
American Whiskey: Seagram's Seven Crown
Canadian whisky: Crown Royal, Seagram's VO
Tennessee whiskey: George Dickel
Tequila: Don Julio, Peligroso, DeLeón
Schnapps: Black Haus, Rumple Minze
Baijiu: Shui Jing Fang
Mixed drinks: Archers, Pimm's, Jeremiah Weed, Smirnoff Cocktails
Liqueur: Baileys, Sheridans, Yukon Jack, Godiva
Wines: Sterling Vineyards, Beaulieu Vineyard, Chalone, Piat d'Or, Blossom Hill, Canoe Ridge Vineyard, Acacia, Moon Mountain, Dynamite, Provenance Vineyards, Hewitt Vineyard, Rosenblum and Navarro Correas.

Homebrewing since 1998

On Tap: Zero Dark Thirty (Cascadian Dark Ale)
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Next Up: Banane Hängematte (Bavarian Hefeweizen)

BEER IS PROOF GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY - Ben Franklin

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #357 on: April 29, 2015, 06:18:55 am »
Duke Bourbon is made by Wild Turkey.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #358 on: April 29, 2015, 02:31:44 pm »
Picked up a fifth of IW Harper today, skipped the Town Branch for now as it was plentiful and almost 40 bucks.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #359 on: May 03, 2015, 06:50:33 pm »
Opened a Henry McKenna 10 Year tonight and it was boring and disappointing. I'd much rather have a bottle of Medley Bros., Eagle Rare, Wathen's, Evan Williams Single Barrel, or Old Grand Dad 114 to name a few. HK was not bad Bourbon, just boring.