Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180517 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #375 on: September 09, 2015, 06:20:57 pm »
Rock Hill Farms Bourbon is pretty good stuff, another Buffalo Trace product.

IW Harper is a disappointment in both the 82 proof and the 15 year.

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #376 on: September 09, 2015, 08:28:47 pm »
I'm not a huge fan of regular buffalo trace but they have the best line up of bourbon by far, IMO.

My most recent purchase though is Bulliet. Not bad at all. Great with BBQ. Took a bottle to my football draft and picked up another a couple days later.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #377 on: September 10, 2015, 12:01:49 pm »
I'm not a huge fan of regular buffalo trace but they have the best line up of bourbon by far, IMO.

My most recent purchase though is Bulliet. Not bad at all. Great with BBQ. Took a bottle to my football draft and picked up another a couple days later.

+1 to Buffalo Trace lineup as well as Bulliet. I haven't had the Bulliet Rye yet. Any good?
Kyle M.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #378 on: September 10, 2015, 12:17:58 pm »
I had some Bulliet rye awhile ago.  We used it for Manhattan's, and it makes a good one.  I don't recall if we tried it straight up or not.

Of course, you can make a decent Manhattan with Old Overholt, which I wouldn't want to drink straight.  So take that for whatever it's worth.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #379 on: September 10, 2015, 01:05:26 pm »
Bulleit Rye is good, but it is made by MGP (Midwest Grain Products). In reality MGP makes good Bourbon as well.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #380 on: September 12, 2015, 02:52:44 am »
Yager is here and we are drinking JP Trodden Bourbon, from a local distillery.  Miss you guys.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #381 on: September 13, 2015, 10:34:44 pm »
Yager is here and we are drinking JP Trodden Bourbon, from a local distillery.  Miss you guys.

People probably don't know that I'm Yager! If any of your want to try some great beer head out to Postdoc Brewing. Solid beers. The whiskey needs some work though. ;)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #382 on: September 28, 2015, 08:04:57 am »
I had some Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve yesterday while tailgating before the Pat's game. I've never had a barrel-strength whiskey (or whisky, for that matter) that was such a smooth sipper. It still had a lot of sweetness left, and that ended up balancing out the heat and leaving a remarkably rich mouthfeel. This is a dangerous one.

Knob Creek is my "first love" when it comes to bourbon, and this is like seeing her at your 20-year reunion looking hotter than ever. Great stuff.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #383 on: September 28, 2015, 08:32:51 am »
Barrel strength can be dangerous.

I've got some Red Breast barrel strength Irish Whiskey.  One must be careful on St. Pats.  It's smooth, but it's strong.

I've also had a couple of the Four Roses barrel strength offerings.  It's really cool to taste the differences between the barrels.  But again, care must be taken. 

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #384 on: September 28, 2015, 08:47:36 am »
It's Scotch, but I had some Macallan 18 the other night at a restaurant. In my area this goes for $250 a fifth in the liquor store. Awesome stuff, but the price of admission is just too high.

Also recently found Smokehead Scotch at a restaurant in GA and it is just as ashy as I remember. Picked up a fifth in SC. Had this at Cafe Highlander in Antwerpen many moons ago with a McEwan Scotch Ale chaser. Now the issue is I cannot find McEwan Scotch Ale anywhere to relive the experience. ;)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #385 on: September 28, 2015, 06:41:55 pm »
Barrel strength can be dangerous.

I've got some Red Breast barrel strength Irish Whiskey.  One must be careful on St. Pats.  It's smooth, but it's strong.

I've also had a couple of the Four Roses barrel strength offerings.  It's really cool to taste the differences between the barrels.  But again, care must be taken.

Agreed on barrel strength. Ever since I finished my bottle of Town Branch, it has all been barrel strength.

I need another new bourbon. Might try a high west offering of some kind, but those Four Roses single barrels are too damn good. Need to stock something full for the Cubs' wildcard game.
Kyle M.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #386 on: September 29, 2015, 05:43:57 am »
FWIW - High West is mostly blended Bourbons from Midwest Grain Products in Indiana.
http://recenteats.blogspot.com/p/the-complete-list-of-american-whiskey.html

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #387 on: September 29, 2015, 01:44:09 pm »
I could be wrong, but I think MGP distills most of the rye that you will find out there.

There are some great whiskeys that start at MGP.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #388 on: September 29, 2015, 02:51:19 pm »
He is right about that. The issue is are they worth the price of admission or not. ;)

Had a really good Japanese whiskey the other night, Hakushu 12 year. Currently looking for a bottle to take home. ;)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #389 on: September 29, 2015, 03:13:07 pm »
Wow. That is a long list. That Redemption Rye coming out of MGP is very good, and usually about $20-30. One of my favorites. I think I will pass on the High West this time. They are too many blends to choose from, and they are too pricey for what I have had so far.

Good to know about the Hakushu 12 year. I've never had a Japanese whiskey. I will seek that one out.
Kyle M.