Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180539 times)

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #390 on: September 30, 2015, 09:44:56 am »
For that price point I like Maker's Mark or Bulleit Bourbon.

Offline Scot (one T)

• Cellarman
« Reply #391 on: September 30, 2015, 07:04:59 pm »
http://drinkmicro.com/2015/09/29/10-whiskeys-you-need-in-your-life/

I have to agree with this list beings that I make the #2 in my day job!

Scot Schaar
River's Edge Fermentation Society
St Paul Homebrewers Club
AHA Member
BJCP Beer and Mead Judge

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #392 on: September 30, 2015, 08:28:43 pm »
He is right about that. The issue is are they worth the price of admission or not. ;)

Had a really good Japanese whiskey the other night, Hakushu 12 year. Currently looking for a bottle to take home. ;)
Interesting. I've only ever seen Suntory in my travels. I thought it was good, but nothing special for the price.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #393 on: October 01, 2015, 06:09:11 am »
Turns out the Hakushu 12 has a much higher price point than I was expecting. Around here it is running $85-90 and that puts it outside my comfort zone.

The NC ABC stores have it, but SC has run dry according to the person I spoke with. He indicated people have started to notice the Japanese Whiskeys and they are now MIA in SC.

Another oddity I noticed was Rowan's Creek. The shelf was bare and the shelf tag in SC said limit 1 bottle per customer. I had a buddy ask me about it as well. I've not sampled it yet, it was on my to do list. I wonder if it go some press recently which drove up demand.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #394 on: October 01, 2015, 08:14:03 am »
I've not been impressed with Rowan's Creek.  For my money, I'd rather spend a little bit more and get Noah's Mill.  The price difference around here is approximately $5 or so (IIRC) and to me the Noah's Mill is far superior.

Rowan's Creek was not bad.  Just not worth the price and lacking in complexity and flavor (again, going by memory).
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #395 on: October 01, 2015, 09:19:15 am »
I've not been impressed with Rowan's Creek.  For my money, I'd rather spend a little bit more and get Noah's Mill.  The price difference around here is approximately $5 or so (IIRC) and to me the Noah's Mill is far superior.

Rowan's Creek was not bad.  Just not worth the price and lacking in complexity and flavor (again, going by memory).

I totally agree with this.
Kyle M.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #396 on: October 01, 2015, 01:09:13 pm »

I totally agree with this.

Made a Binny's run at lunch.  The difference between the Creek and the Mill was around $13.  But this does not change my opinion.  Particularly as the Binny's price for Noah's Mill is $5 - 10 more than I can get it for at Vin.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #397 on: October 01, 2015, 08:11:20 pm »
So, on my lunch run I picked up an Old Forester Signature 100 proof and a Knob Creek 100 proof.

Old Forester is primarily hot.  A little spicy.  There's vanilla in there if you wait for it to open up and look for it.  But mostly hot.  Also very light in color.

Knob Creek has a much greater complexity.  More flavors. Vanilla, oak, etc.  Not hot at all.

Same price, as the Knob Creek was on sale. 

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #398 on: October 02, 2015, 06:09:32 am »
I have a bottle of Old Forrester 1870 which is 90 proof waiting in the queue. It had pretty good reviews when I checked it out so I grabbed it.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #399 on: October 02, 2015, 08:29:46 am »
In general, I've heard good things about Old Forrester.  Maybe I should've gone with the regular bottling.  I'd be interested to hear what you think once you crack it open.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #400 on: October 03, 2015, 09:00:03 pm »
It had pretty good reviews when I checked it out so I grabbed it.

What are your go-to sources for reviews?  This thread has been a great resource for me but I'd like to branch out a bit.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #401 on: October 04, 2015, 04:19:08 pm »
I usually Google them and aggregate the reviews myself. Often you have to ignore those attending free events and dig into those offering their opinion.

Many may disagree with my thoughts on Bourbon because I don't care for "rougher" Bourbons like Woodford Reserve or really alcoholic Bourbons like Booker's. I much prefer something smoother, but it has to have a great character. Boring don't cut it.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #402 on: October 04, 2015, 05:15:53 pm »
I check out the bourbon forums now and then.  I think one of them is straightbourbon.com or something like that.

You can get a decent consensus from reading what people there have to say.  There's a lot of noise sometimes, and I don't always agree, but it's a nice starting point.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #403 on: October 04, 2015, 05:55:09 pm »
Knob Creek has a much greater complexity.  More flavors. Vanilla, oak, etc.  Not hot at all.

+1.  I haven't had near the variety of good bourbons as you, Joe (though single malt Scotch might be another story), but I really enjoy Knob Creek 100 - I find it pretty dangerously drinkable at 100. Though some of the Four Roses and Eagle Rare 10 are mighty fine as well IMO. I need to try more.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #404 on: October 04, 2015, 06:17:30 pm »
I will never catch up in the single malt category.  I just don't enjoy it.

Bourbon, on the other hand, I enjoy almost too much.  Started drinking the better bourbons back in my 20s.  That's when I ran through the Bs.  Bookers, Basil Haden, Blantons.  And also realized that you could get good bourbon for less than premium price.  In those days, there were bottles of Pappy just sitting on the top shelf easily available.  What a change.