Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 182591 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #405 on: October 06, 2015, 06:44:21 pm »
So right now Rock Hill Farms is tripping my trigger. Another Buffalo Trace product and it is pretty tasty.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #406 on: October 06, 2015, 07:40:31 pm »
Don't mix Old Forrester Signature with Knob Creek... 

I think the Old Forrester is going to get relegated to a mixer.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #407 on: October 11, 2015, 03:21:55 pm »
FEW whiskey out of Evanston - solid bourbon, a little pricey for what it is. Goes well with Cubs playoff baseball though.
Kyle M.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #408 on: October 11, 2015, 03:58:40 pm »
I had a guy tell me FEW wasn't so great. Now I gotta go look at the reviews.

FWIW - hoping to have some of this at a bar this week (on the work dime). WILL NOT be purchasing a pint.
https://mashbang.wordpress.com/2015/10/05/600-fifth-of-bourbon-john-e-fitzgerald-very-special-reserve/
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #409 on: October 11, 2015, 05:42:19 pm »
I've only had the FEW white whiskey.  Nasty stuff. But most white whiskeys are nasty in my opinion.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #410 on: October 11, 2015, 06:04:44 pm »
I would recommend sampling FEW, but it is not worth the price of a bottle. Similar to Town Branch, but twice the price. The finish is not nearly as good as Town Branch as well.
Kyle M.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #411 on: October 16, 2015, 02:01:13 pm »
Ran into Binny's today to get a bottle of Very Old Barton for adding to my bourbon stout.  It seems like they're not carrying it anymore, or else they sell it out pretty quick (which would be odd for bottom shelf bourbon).

Anyway, I noticed that all of the bottle prices seem to have increased by about 10% in the last year.  What's up with that?

Four Roses Single Barrel is now $38.99 when it was always under $35.  Wathen's is $35, was always $32 or under.  Etc. etc.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #412 on: October 16, 2015, 02:40:50 pm »
There is a bourbon and whiskey movement, creating new drinkers and the expected future demand is outpacing production , or at least that is what I have been told by family members. This was after an afternoon on the bourbon trail at Town Branch, Woodford, and Buffalo trace. From what the distillers said, we can only expect prices to continue to rise and s scarcity to increase. Just hear say and maybe distillers trying to justify, but think of all the marketing out there now pushing these spirits. Trying to get millennials Drinking top shelf spirits
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #413 on: October 23, 2015, 08:11:44 pm »
I'm winding down a bottle of 4RSB that I've really enjoyed and I'm looking to try something different.  I'm a long time single malt guy, but still kinda new to bourbon.

I did treat myself to a post game Bulliet 10yr at Rockit after the Cubs knocked of the Cards last week, and I remember really liking it.  The oak/smoke I got from it actually reminded me a lot more of a SM Scotch than a bourbon.  But that came after a pretty good beer session at Wrigley, so I suppose my judgment could've been clouded.  Any thoughts on it - is it worth $42?

Rock Hill Farms sounds intriguing, I might look for it.  Also I see Maker's cask strength is $49 at Costco right now, anyone tried it?

Any other suggestions?

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #414 on: October 24, 2015, 11:00:05 am »
I'm winding down a bottle of 4RSB that I've really enjoyed and I'm looking to try something different.  I'm a long time single malt guy, but still kinda new to bourbon.

I did treat myself to a post game Bulliet 10yr at Rockit after the Cubs knocked of the Cards last week, and I remember really liking it.  The oak/smoke I got from it actually reminded me a lot more of a SM Scotch than a bourbon.  But that came after a pretty good beer session at Wrigley, so I suppose my judgment could've been clouded.  Any thoughts on it - is it worth $42?

Rock Hill Farms sounds intriguing, I might look for it.  Also I see Maker's cask strength is $49 at Costco right now, anyone tried it?

Any other suggestions?
I haven't tried that Maker's cask, but I am in general not a fan of Maker's Mark. Let us know what you think if you get it.
I'm a big fan of Noah's Mill. If you like 4RSB, I think you will like that. Additionally, Elmer T Lee, and Wathans come to mind. If you like a smoky American whiskey, then I would go with Balcones Brimstone. I like to get a glass of that when I am at a good whiskey bar.
Kyle M.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #415 on: October 24, 2015, 01:41:56 pm »
That's good info, thanks.  I've got some exploring to do.  Been close to pulling the trigger on Wathans, and now that I see it endorsed here a couple of times, I may just give it a shot.

As for Makers Mark, totally agree.  To me it's thin and kinda lifeless, and probably a big reason why I've been slow to move to bourbon.  But I am intrigued by the cask strength.  I might have to sneak it into the cart next time out.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #416 on: October 24, 2015, 05:36:05 pm »
For just about the same price as makers, I'd go for knob creek.

Can't go wrong with wathens even though I'm not enjoying my current bottle as much as I had hoped. That's single barrel for you I guess.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #417 on: October 24, 2015, 05:46:43 pm »
For just about the same price as makers, I'd go for knob creek.

Same here. Much better bourbon IMO. I'm not a Maker's hater by any means, I just think there's a noticeable leap in quality between the two.
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #418 on: October 24, 2015, 08:17:30 pm »
Ok noted.  Thanks gentlemen.

Switching gears...

What about beer barrel bourbon - ever had it?  I noticed a bottle from New Holland, and my first thought was that it would be a white whiskey quickly oaked and finished in a stout barrel.  No thanks.

But it looks like a decently aged bourbon, and the fact that it's finished in Dragon's Milk casks has my attention.

Just curious.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #419 on: October 24, 2015, 09:25:05 pm »
Dragon's Milk is the best.  Dunno about the bourbon.