Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180543 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #420 on: October 25, 2015, 10:20:16 am »
I'd prefer not to dilute our long thread with a beer discussion. ;)

Still after that really expensive John E Fitzgerald, the bar which has it was closed last week so I gotta make sure I am there on some day other than Monday.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #421 on: October 30, 2015, 06:39:49 am »
In general, I've heard good things about Old Forrester.  Maybe I should've gone with the regular bottling.  I'd be interested to hear what you think once you crack it open.

I opened the 1870 last night. It was quite good, still need to give it some additional tasting. I was having some really dark chocolate with espresso which was quite dry and that lead to a strong cherry flavor and sweetness which I really don't think was as prominent as it seemed. I snapped a photo of the 1870 and the 1897 side by side in the liquor store. 1870 was $45 and 1897 was $50. I don't think the 1870 is too far out of line at that price based on my single experience, but like I said, more tasting is required to fully peel that onion.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #422 on: October 30, 2015, 07:43:00 am »
I took a flask of the Signature to a party.  It was described as rough by the others who shared it.  Definitely a one-time purchase.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #423 on: October 30, 2015, 06:19:35 pm »
The 1870 with a clean palate is peppery and a tad hot. Nice brown sugar flavor and finish. Worth the $45 price of admission.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #424 on: October 31, 2015, 10:13:24 am »
The 1870 and 1897 are definitely different birds from the Signature. I'm gonna pick up an 1897 the next time I run into it and give it a whirl.

http://www.oldforester.com/bourbon/

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #425 on: November 02, 2015, 02:33:36 pm »
I had a dram of Redbreast 12 last night while watching the last game of the World Series.  Now that is a fine whiskey.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #426 on: November 02, 2015, 10:44:30 pm »
I had a dram of Redbreast

Rather Small glass eh?
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #427 on: November 03, 2015, 01:36:36 pm »
Yes, it was a very small glass.

At least that is what I told my wife, and I am sticking to that story.  8)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #428 on: November 20, 2015, 04:44:32 pm »
I've been loving this bottle of Tincup, out of Colorado. 84 proof, with a nice oaky presence. A good juicy middle, with plenty of herbs and spice. I bought on sale for $25 to boot, which will make this a repeat buy. Highly recommended.
Kyle M.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #429 on: November 23, 2015, 07:26:40 am »
I've been loving this bottle of Tincup, out of Colorado. 84 proof, with a nice oaky presence. A good juicy middle, with plenty of herbs and spice. I bought on sale for $25 to boot, which will make this a repeat buy. Highly recommended.

It's another MGP whiskey.
http://recenteats.blogspot.com/p/the-complete-list-of-american-whiskey.html

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #430 on: November 30, 2015, 07:02:23 pm »
Opened both the Rowan's and the Noah's tonight to see the difference. Rowan's was nice and tame, but at ~$35-40 it needs a kick in the pants to outshine some of the contenders at that price point. Noah's was a bit hotter with pepper and cinnamon characteristics and higher alcohols until the ice started to melt. Then it became clear this was head and shoulders above the Rowan's. At a $45-50 price point it does shine, but there are Bourbons I prefer more. That's just first impressions, my opinion may change as the bottles drain. ;)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #431 on: November 30, 2015, 10:10:27 pm »
Mike, that MGP listing is ridiculous,  and once again, I must say that I need to get over there and check the place out. It's a 10 minute drive from home
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #432 on: December 01, 2015, 06:01:19 am »
I don't think MGP bottles anything, they just sell it for others to age and bottle. It would be a cool tour!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #433 on: December 01, 2015, 06:10:37 am »
For just about the same price as makers, I'd go for knob creek.

Same here. Much better bourbon IMO. I'm not a Maker's hater by any means, I just think there's a noticeable leap in quality between the two.

Makers was great when it was $10 cheaper than it is now. Now there is no way I'd buy Maker's when Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve and a handful of other premium whiskey's are about the same price.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #434 on: December 01, 2015, 10:33:10 am »
I'm wanting to buy a very nice bottle of whiskey for the holidays.  What do you recommend?  Anything under $100.  I realize I am probably opening myself up for 40 opinions but I hope to distill (pun intended) a decision out of your responses.

I find I do not prefer peaty scotch.  Also in my limited experience I have preferred rye whiskeys.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton