Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180555 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2013, 12:08:09 pm »
If you just got plain old Evan Williams and atempted to drink that straight ..... that's funny.
It was a catered private party, that was the only brown liquor they had.  It was worth it to know that I never need to try Evan Williams again. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2013, 12:23:58 pm »
My tastes exactly. I remember the first Scottish ale I made - I used the peated malt back in the day believing that was the right thing to do and HATED it. Gave it all away. But I love Balvenie, Ardberg, Glenmorangie, Lagavulin, Talisker, etc all day long.
I love those all too.  And a good Laphroaig as well, I have some Laphroaig Cairdeas that is awesome.  The local store has some of the Glenmorangie Ealanta on the shelf, I drool over that but it's out of my price range.  It takes me a long time to go through a bottle, but that just spreads out the enjoyment.

I really like all those too.  Every year about this time my local liquor store emails me a gift card for $10 that can be used on anything.  They also usually have a sale on a couple of their scotches and this year they have  Glenlivet 12 on sale yesterday and today for $24.99.  So I was able to pick that up for $15!  Last year they had Macallan 12 on a one day sale for $35 so I was able to pick that up for $25. 

Last year I had a client that gave me a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 as a gift!  They won it at the company Christmas party and they don't drink scotch, so they just gave it to me! 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2013, 12:49:37 pm »
My tastes exactly. I remember the first Scottish ale I made - I used the peated malt back in the day believing that was the right thing to do and HATED it. Gave it all away. But I love Balvenie, Ardberg, Glenmorangie, Lagavulin, Talisker, etc all day long.
I love those all too.  And a good Laphroaig as well, I have some Laphroaig Cairdeas that is awesome.  The local store has some of the Glenmorangie Ealanta on the shelf, I drool over that but it's out of my price range.  It takes me a long time to go through a bottle, but that just spreads out the enjoyment.

I really like all those too.  Every year about this time my local liquor store emails me a gift card for $10 that can be used on anything.  They also usually have a sale on a couple of their scotches and this year they have  Glenlivet 12 on sale yesterday and today for $24.99.  So I was able to pick that up for $15!  Last year they had Macallan 12 on a one day sale for $35 so I was able to pick that up for $25. 

Last year I had a client that gave me a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 as a gift!  They won it at the company Christmas party and they don't drink scotch, so they just gave it to me! 
That's just awesome. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2013, 12:52:08 pm »
If you just got plain old Evan Williams and atempted to drink that straight ..... that's funny.
It was a catered private party, that was the only brown liquor they had.  It was worth it to know that I never need to try Evan Williams again. :)

I was at one of those last night.  They were pouring Jack Daniels.  I think they also had Crown Royal.

I went with the Bombay Sapphire.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2013, 12:55:24 pm »

Wow, that's a helluva gift !  Pretty pricey.  I tried some once - very,very good.
Jon H.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2013, 12:56:40 pm »
I can get Maker's for just under $20 here. However, I've come to find wine and spirits are generally cheaper than in other places. Beer not so much. :(

What I get out of peaty scotch was iodine, but that could just be the Island scotch(s) tried.

Regarding "Entry level": which to me means no wild, odd or unique characteristics reserved for the discerning whiskey drinker's palate. I want to work myself up to being a connoisseur.

If I were going to prescribe an "entry" level approach to exploring whiskey...
-Start with the Canadians.  Canadian whiskeys are generally lighter, milder, easy drinking blended whiskeys.  Pendleton is sweet and caramelly, Crown is the standard for me.  There are tons of options, but that's a good place to jump off.
-Don't buy bottom shelf bourbon. You might get lucky but  spending $25-30 really improves your chances of getting something you'll enjoy.  The Four Roses Yellow Label is the best bottle under $25  I've had at $23.  I really like Woodford, Eagle Rare (spicy) and Blanton's. There is a lot of good bourbon out there.   
-Scotch-  Not my thing, at all.  Repeat step 2.
-Talk to the store owners/employees if you get a sense that they know their stuff. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2013, 01:08:38 pm »
Thanks Pinski those^^ are certainly the types of pointers I'm seeking.

The G. Dickle is quite good. I just don't think it is an entry level choice. Admittedly, the young lady who sold it to me liked it in Coke. I was actually looking for something lighter in color, flavor and complexity.

Perhaps some Seagrams or Canadian Club?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2013, 01:09:48 pm »
I goes into the closest SPEC's and ask for an entry-level whiskey. Walked out with some G. Dickle 8 classic recipe...

Is sour mash really an entry level whiskey? I was thinking of Canadian Club. Hell I could have picked Crown Royal.

Anyway I'm trying it straight. And indeed it is whiskey. I'm liking it. What should I buy next? For under $20.

One thing I would recommend is if you have stores that do any whiskey tastings, stop by and try some.  There are a couple of stores around me just outside of Denver that do a liquor tasting once a month, so a couple times a yr they have different whiskey tastings.  I "friended" a few on Facebook so I get their announcements there and I'm on a few email lists and get the info there also. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2013, 01:14:42 pm »
I goes into the closest SPEC's and ask for an entry-level whiskey. Walked out with some G. Dickle 8 classic recipe...

Is sour mash really an entry level whiskey? I was thinking of Canadian Club. Hell I could have picked Crown Royal.

Anyway I'm trying it straight. And indeed it is whiskey. I'm liking it. What should I buy next? For under $20.

One thing I would recommend is if you have stores that do any whiskey tastings, stop by and try some.  There are a couple of stores around me just outside of Denver that do a liquor tasting once a month, so a couple times a yr they have different whiskey tastings.  I "friended" a few on Facebook so I get their announcements there and I'm on a few email lists and get the info there also.

+1
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2013, 01:22:45 pm »
I've found the staff at Binny's to be knowledgeable.  At least the staff that remains from before Binny's bought out Sam's.  Not all locations are the staffed equally and they don't often do tastings.

The independent small shop guys do a lot of tastings.  Thankfully, these have kept me from buying some of the craft distillery whiskeys that taste like crap.

Talking to knowledgeable staff has guided me on a lot of purchases from Scotch to Cognac, as well as recommendations on the more expensive bourbons.  Good staff should be able to find you good value with the flavor profile you're looking for. 

If they like it mixed with Coke, it means they don't like it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2013, 01:49:04 pm »

If they like it mixed with Coke, it means they don't like it.

+1 Exactly!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2013, 01:50:36 pm »
No, no, NO! Not Canadian whiskey! Try the makers! It's great entry level whiskey. If you want to spend some money on something that will be deliciously and smooth as can be (perhaps too smooth?) try basyl Haden's. It's about 40 bones and I promise you won't go long or miss a beat. But if money is an issue go with makers.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2013, 01:54:08 pm »
Why I believe that is a resounding vote for Maker's!

Gotta a place a few blocks away so I will check pricing. If too high will have to wait until I'm near a SPECs again and can do a cash discount.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2013, 02:13:21 pm »
No, no, NO! Not Canadian whiskey! Try the makers! It's great entry level whiskey. If you want to spend some money on something that will be deliciously and smooth as can be (perhaps too smooth?) try basyl Haden's. It's about 40 bones and I promise you won't go long or miss a beat. But if money is an issue go with makers.
Maker's doesn't do much for me personally.  It's not bad but I find it a bit harsh and I wouldn't really consider it entry level whiskey as it is rarely under $25 locally.  If Euge is looking to explore "Whiskey" and eventually become a connosoir, why should he limit himself to bourbon whiskey?  Although, the Basil Hayden recommendation is spot on. 
Canadian Whiskey
Bourbon Whiskey
Rye Whiskey
Scotch Whiskey
Irish Whiskey
Tennessee Sour Mash... you get the point.  There's a ton of good whiskey and nasty scotch out there to explore. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2013, 02:33:07 pm »
Maker's doesn't do much for me personally.  It's not bad but I find it a bit harsh and I wouldn't really consider it entry level whiskey as it is rarely under $25 locally.  If Euge is looking to explore "Whiskey" and eventually become a connosoir, why should he limit himself to bourbon whiskey?  Although, the Basil Hayden recommendation is spot on. 
Canadian Whiskey
Bourbon Whiskey
Rye Whiskey
Scotch Whiskey
Irish Whiskey
Tennessee Sour Mash... you get the point.  There's a ton of good whiskey and nasty scotch out there to explore.

I don't see how anyone could think it was harsh, but hey. That's me. I think Canadian whiskey is only good for blending so that's why I take that stance. I have had some very good Canadian sipping Whiskey but it was a bit more than 30 bucks a fifth.

As I said, I agree that Maker's isn't some sublime whiskey. But for the price it is very good, fairly smooth and a great entry level bourbon in my book. And usually around $20 in most places I have seen it.