Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 182614 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #555 on: January 18, 2016, 04:42:47 pm »
Probably more Powell & Mahoney Ginger than anyone other than me wants, but WalMart has it for $41 a case (6) and nine bucks more gets you free shipping. Mine are already on the way. ;)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Powell-Mahoney-Limited-Old-Ballycastle-Ginger-Cocktail-Mixer-25.36-fl-oz-Pack-of-6/31221970
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #556 on: January 20, 2016, 05:24:06 pm »
I'm enjoying the Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Strength (OESK) and while it is very good, it isn't that much better than standard Single Barrel for me to chase down more of it. I realize it is Single Barrel and will vary, but $38 vs $70 is kinda stiff when $38 is stellar!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #557 on: January 21, 2016, 07:42:49 am »
I don't know how available it is outside of the Pacific Northwest, but hands down my favorite whiskey is Pendleton's 1910.  Very smooth, very flavorful, and around $40.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #558 on: January 21, 2016, 03:13:20 pm »
I wonder where they get the barrels of rye from in Canada. It's on the NC special items list so it is available.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #559 on: January 21, 2016, 03:34:43 pm »
I don't know how available it is outside of the Pacific Northwest, but hands down my favorite whiskey is Pendleton's 1910.  Very smooth, very flavorful, and around $40.
Veeery Caramely too. Dangerous stuff if you like Canadians. I like Canadians.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

narvin

« Reply #560 on: January 21, 2016, 07:35:52 pm »
It's Scotch weather.  Hoping to walk over to my favorite Scotch bar during the big storm this weekend.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #561 on: January 23, 2016, 03:04:16 pm »
Don't think we've seen this in the topic before. I'm going to use it as a shopping list!
http://vinepair.com/buy-this-booze/best-single-malt-scotches-under-50/

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #562 on: January 23, 2016, 04:32:09 pm »
Nice find Mike
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

narvin

« Reply #563 on: January 23, 2016, 04:35:04 pm »
Picked up the Laphroaig 10 yr on Friday before the storm, actually.  Also like the Ardbeg.  Both very nice alternatives to a more expensive Lagavulin.  You have to like the peat, though.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #564 on: January 23, 2016, 04:40:00 pm »
Some good ones on that list. I am a fan of the Highland Park, Ardbeg, and the Aberfeldy. I have heard good things about Bowmore, which will be a purchase of mine soon.
Kyle M.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #565 on: January 23, 2016, 04:44:23 pm »
I was gonna add the Laphroiag 10 and Ardbeg as well as the Aberlour 12 as the ones I enjoyed most. I love how a lot of the 10 year scotches might be a little less smooth but seem to be more flavorful. That Laphroiag 10 is just killer.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #566 on: January 23, 2016, 07:34:02 pm »
I was gonna add the Laphroiag 10 and Ardbeg as well as the Aberlour 12 as the ones I enjoyed most. I love how a lot of the 10 year scotches might be a little less smooth but seem to be more flavorful. That Laphroiag 10 is just killer.
Always keep a laphroig 10 around. Its our house whiskey really. Make the occasional smoking gun with it but usually just for sipping.My son got us a bottle of laphroig 15 for Christmas. Very nice. I'm not drinking until next month so really shouldn't be thinking about this...
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #567 on: January 23, 2016, 07:42:31 pm »
Always keep a laphroig 10 around. Its our house whiskey really. Make the occasional smoking gun with it but usually just for sipping.My son got us a bottle of laphroig 15 for Christmas. Very nice. I'm not drinking until next month so really shouldn't be thinking about this...

Yeah, tasty stuff. The 15 is sublime but obviously pricey. I can buy the 10 more often.  ;)
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #568 on: January 23, 2016, 09:20:20 pm »
Laphroaig 10 is my go-to as well. Caol Ila is another great one if you're into peat.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #569 on: January 24, 2016, 06:00:50 am »
Laphroaig 10 is my go-to as well. Caol Ila is another great one if you're into peat.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Caol Ila? I never heard of it or have seen it as far as I know. Is it an Islay?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.