Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 182895 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #630 on: March 03, 2016, 07:16:55 am »
Opened up the Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr last night. It was mighty tasty, especially at a $55 price. Perfect neat!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #631 on: March 03, 2016, 07:21:45 am »
Opened up the Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr last night. It was mighty tasty, especially at a $55 price. Perfect neat!

Yep, love it neat!
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #632 on: March 03, 2016, 08:17:36 am »

Yep, love it neat!

same here.good stuff.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #633 on: March 03, 2016, 08:35:55 am »

Yep, love it neat!

same here.good stuff.

Indeed, good price too!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #634 on: April 05, 2016, 01:54:57 pm »
I am jones'in for a bottle of Colonel E.H. Taylor Seasoned Wood. Cured Oak was made of unobtainium although I did get a glass at a brewpub in Wilmington, NC. I'm not traveling hardly at all anytime soon so I doubt I will run across it only hanging out in NC. I read online that Virginia got 150 bottles in total and they had over 1,000 people ask about Seasoned Wood.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #635 on: April 09, 2016, 08:12:10 pm »
I wish I could get a sample of that Seasoned Wood Col. Taylor. Must be amazing stuff.

Decided to try something new today: Roughstock Montana Bourbon barrel strength. Coming in at 118 proof, it needed a splash of water. Very good though, albeit a bit pricey. Full mouthfeel, spicy with a little sweetness.
Kyle M.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #636 on: April 10, 2016, 08:39:56 am »
The reviews I have seen are mixed for Seasoned Wood, still doesn't stop me from wanting a bottle. ;)

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #637 on: April 12, 2016, 07:48:24 am »
A new lowland single malt in the offing......
http://whiskyadvocate.com/2016/03/29/burnbrae-distillery-plans-for-the-rolls-royce-of-single-malts/

some interesting info about the new Burnbrae single malt and how it will be made.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #638 on: April 13, 2016, 01:55:05 pm »
Had a bartender give me a sip of a Boulevardier last night. Equal parts Bourbon, Campari, and Sweet Vermouth over ice. I found another recipe calling for 1.5/1/1. I tried 1/1/1 and 1/0.5/1 last night and liked both. I may try the heavy hand Bourbon one tonight. The bartender suggested Rye as the whiskey so that might be good as well. I was using Very Old Barton since I had a handle of it...handy. ;)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #639 on: April 13, 2016, 04:16:30 pm »
Had a bartender give me a sip of a Boulevardier last night. Equal parts Bourbon, Campari, and Sweet Vermouth over ice. I found another recipe calling for 1.5/1/1. I tried 1/1/1 and 1/0.5/1 last night and liked both. I may try the heavy hand Bourbon one tonight. The bartender suggested Rye as the whiskey so that might be good as well. I was using Very Old Barton since I had a handle of it...handy. ;)

I've been sipping some VOB lately.  I thought they made a 100 proof, but I may be confusing that with Weller Antique.  I'm enjoying the VOB at 90 proof and also at 84 proof (I think that's the bottling).

I also bought a handle of Ancient Age.  It doesn't seem to hold up to my memory as well as I had hoped.  It may get mixed with ginger ale on hot days.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #640 on: April 13, 2016, 07:41:43 pm »
I think you would much prefer a 1794: 2 parts rye, 1 part each campari and sweet vermouth. I don't think the equal parts thing works in a Boulevardier like it does in its cousin the Negroni. The gin stands with the campari better than whiskey can.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #641 on: April 16, 2016, 04:50:29 pm »
Just had a 1794 as an apertif while starting dinner: good stuff and yes, campari is astringent which is actually nice in an apertif. My mouth is watering for shakshuka and fresh baked pita.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #642 on: April 17, 2016, 02:35:17 pm »
Aperol isn't as bitter as Campari.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #643 on: April 29, 2016, 07:48:12 am »
I tried a Bourbon based 1794 last night and it hit the nail square on the head. 2 parts Bourbon, 1 Campari, 1 Sweet Vermouth. Not sure what it is since it used Bourbon instead of Rye, but it was delicious.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #644 on: April 29, 2016, 08:09:35 am »
My wife has gone bananas for Manhattans lately. Been using Mad River Rye. it's a locally produced rye and pretty nice. at <$40 a fifth the prices is reasonable too.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce