Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 180960 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #675 on: November 11, 2016, 05:57:30 pm »
Old Grandad Bonded is 100 proof and about $20 and I'm finding it quite enjoyable neat. Not too hot, some spicy notes coupled with brown sugar and leather, and very easy to drink.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #676 on: November 11, 2016, 06:33:55 pm »
Get. Out.  Old Grandad? 

I must confess that I have Old Overholt in the cabinet.

Is Old Crow next?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #677 on: November 11, 2016, 07:49:12 pm »
I've had the Old Grand Dad Bonded and I concur that its not bad for a cheap bottle.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #678 on: November 12, 2016, 07:01:45 am »
Yep, Old Granddad Bonded. I bought it to try and with the ultimate plan being to mix it with ginger. I'll be drinking it neat instead.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #679 on: November 15, 2016, 07:58:44 am »
Balvenie Double Wood was $47 in CA, in NC it is $63. In contrast Suntory Toki is $30 in NC and it was $50 in CA. Needless to say a bottle of Double Wood will be making the trek back to NC with me since I am checking luggage. That also will allow me to drain my opened bottle at the house since I now have a replacement! ;)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #680 on: November 15, 2016, 08:08:34 am »
Balvenie Double Wood was $47 in CA, in NC it is $63. In contrast Suntory Toki is $30 in NC and it was $50 in CA. Needless to say a bottle of Double Wood will be making the trek back to NC with me since I am checking luggage. That also will allow me to drain my opened bottle at the house since I now have a replacement! ;)

Love the Balvenie. Never lasts long.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #681 on: November 16, 2016, 04:15:52 pm »
I almost bought a bottle of the Balcenie Double Wood today...glad I didn't after seeing what everyone else is paying for it.

I did buy a bottle of Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength. I've still yet to try any Scotch that tops this one, but keep in mind I love peat. I've got several bottles of Islay Malt, the regular Laphroaig 10 and the cask strength version are still my favorites, especially considering the price.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #682 on: November 16, 2016, 04:20:01 pm »
I almost bought a bottle of the Balcenie Double Wood today...glad I didn't after seeing what everyone else is paying for it.

I did buy a bottle of Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength. I've still yet to try any Scotch that tops this one, but keep in mind I love peat. I've got several bottles of Islay Malt, the regular Laphroaig 10 and the cask strength version are still my favorites, especially considering the price.

I think you and I are in the minority here - I love the smoky, peaty ones too, aside from the cleaner ones like Balvenie. If I had to pick one Scotch only, it'd probably be a Lagavulin but it's kind of like trying to pick your favorite kid.  :)
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #683 on: November 16, 2016, 04:25:29 pm »
I've been watching for Lagavulin. Sadly, I've yet to see it for sale locally. I was into Scotch before Nick Offerman and the whole Ron Swanson bit became a thing, but I'd be lying if his fireplace video didn't make me want to try Lagavulin more...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #684 on: November 16, 2016, 04:32:44 pm »
I've been watching for Lagavulin. Sadly, I've yet to see it for sale locally. I was into Scotch before Nick Offerman and the whole Ron Swanson bit became a thing, but I'd be lying if his fireplace video didn't make me want to try Lagavulin more...

Yeah, classic - he took a field trip to the distillery in one episode. He rocks.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #685 on: November 18, 2016, 12:20:57 am »
I just opened my second 1.75 l bottle of Kirkland (Costco) Blended Scotch Whiskey.  The first one was very pleasant, but simple.  Easy to drink, but without distinction.

This second one is IMO a bit phenolic.  It is not unpleasant, but right on the border.  It tastes of band-aids, smoke, sea-water, cinnamon and (I'm reaching here) marshmallow.  As I taste a little more of it,  sea water or oyster shell is what comes to mind more than anything else.

Dang it!  I think my palate training is ruining my drinking.

I liked the first bottle better.  It was unremarkable but pleasant.  This one...right on the fence... but more to think about.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #686 on: November 18, 2016, 05:05:59 am »
Aren't some Scotches supposed to be that way? Look at Laphroaig, smells like straight iodine. I've had some that are also downright salty.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #687 on: November 18, 2016, 05:13:24 am »

I think you and I are in the minority here - I love the smoky, peaty ones too, aside from the cleaner ones like Balvenie. If I had to pick one Scotch only, it'd probably be a Lagavulin but it's kind of like trying to pick your favorite kid.  :)
Same here. Laphroaig is our house scotch and both my girlfriend and I almost exclusively drink Islay scotch. And I love me a smoking gun!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #688 on: December 03, 2016, 05:41:26 am »
Picked up a bottle of Alexander Murray Bon Accord at a Costco in SC for $24.

I wasn't expecting much from a no age, no distillery information scotch which simply said Highland. It was alcoholic at first to the nose and kinda boring. I kept thinking it needed more character so I poured another glass just to be sure. Then last night it took two glasses to confirm it was not that complex. As I look at the half empty bottle I'm thinking it might take another bottles to truly decide how boring it is in reality. Would be great for a party where foods are served as it would not be overbearing on the palate or for someone who was trying to ease into scotch. At 24 bucks I may pick up another bottle or two just for having if I go to a party or don't want to wreck my palate. I mainly drank it last night because I knew the palate would be just fine this morning for proctoring a BJCP exam.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #689 on: December 03, 2016, 10:43:37 am »
Picked up a bottle of Alexander Murray Bon Accord at a Costco in SC for $24.

I wasn't expecting much from a no age, no distillery information scotch which simply said Highland. It was alcoholic at first to the nose and kinda boring. I kept thinking it needed more character so I poured another glass just to be sure. Then last night it took two glasses to confirm it was not that complex. As I look at the half empty bottle I'm thinking it might take another bottles to truly decide how boring it is in reality. Would be great for a party where foods are served as it would not be overbearing on the palate or for someone who was trying to ease into scotch. At 24 bucks I may pick up another bottle or two just for having if I go to a party or don't want to wreck my palate. I mainly drank it last night because I knew the palate would be just fine this morning for proctoring a BJCP exam.

More or less my feeling on most blended scotch in the $15-30 range.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing