Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 181003 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #690 on: December 03, 2016, 11:18:48 am »
I almost bought a bottle of the Balcenie Double Wood today...glad I didn't after seeing what everyone else is paying for it.

I did buy a bottle of Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength. I've still yet to try any Scotch that tops this one, but keep in mind I love peat. I've got several bottles of Islay Malt, the regular Laphroaig 10 and the cask strength version are still my favorites, especially considering the price.

I think you and I are in the minority here - I love the smoky, peaty ones too, aside from the cleaner ones like Balvenie. If I had to pick one Scotch only, it'd probably be a Lagavulin but it's kind of like trying to pick your favorite kid.  :)
Same here. Laphroaig is our house scotch and both my girlfriend and I almost exclusively drink Islay scotch. And I love me a smoking gun!
Big peat fan, myself. I have at least one bottle from every Islay distillery except for Port Ellen. The best scotch I've ever had was a 30-year old Ardbeg - plenty of peat left after all that time, but so smooth. And as far as peat goes, you can't beat Johnnie Black for a blended scotch (although Sheep Dip is pretty nice, too). I have the Double Black as well, but that is a bit heavier on the oak to the point where it overtakes the peat.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #691 on: December 04, 2016, 02:48:56 pm »

More or less my feeling on most blended scotch in the $15-30 range.

Perhaps we should make a list of the inexpensive blends worth the time and price of admission. While I'm not blow away by the Bon Accord, I am heading back to buy more. ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #692 on: December 04, 2016, 03:06:43 pm »
The issue I have with the more inexpensive Scotches is that for the money, I think a cheap bourbon is the better buy. A $25 is only so-so, but spend that on bourbon and you get a nice range of quality choices.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #693 on: December 04, 2016, 03:09:44 pm »
The issue I have with the more inexpensive Scotches is that for the money, I think a cheap bourbon is the better buy. A $25 is only so-so, but spend that on bourbon and you get a nice range of quality choices.

I agree. It's why I'm not a fan of the vast majority of blended scotches - for the price range you can get a solid bourbon instead of a mediocre (at best) single malt wanna-be IMO.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #694 on: December 04, 2016, 06:16:27 pm »
I think the way I said that came out wrong though. It's not that cheap Scotches are bad, just that the same price point bourbons are better.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #695 on: December 04, 2016, 06:20:16 pm »
I think the way I said that came out wrong though. It's not that cheap Scotches are bad, just that the same price point bourbons are better.

Yeah that's what I was trying to get across, too - getting the best product for the $. I just feel that Scotch's entry price for pretty good stuff is higher than that of bourbon.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #696 on: December 04, 2016, 08:27:43 pm »
I tend to be willing to spend a bit more for scotch than bourbon. the reason is I usually drink scotch by itself, neat or with a cube, as a sipper. i sometimes drink a glass of bourbon but it mostly goes in cocktails. I find bourbon, very generally speaking, a bit sweet for my taste on one hand, and too poundable on the other, so. a drink with a bitter component is the way to go. When i drink scotch the intent is usually to do so slowly. I usually keep one bottle of blended scotch around, dewars or cutty sark, because every now and then a Rob Roy is just the thing. and of course now and then nothing will do but a Smoking Gun which I always make with Laphroig.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #697 on: December 05, 2016, 09:35:22 am »
I tend to be willing to spend a bit more for scotch than bourbon. the reason is I usually drink scotch by itself, neat or with a cube, as a sipper. i sometimes drink a glass of bourbon but it mostly goes in cocktails. I find bourbon, very generally speaking, a bit sweet for my taste on one hand, and too poundable on the other, so. a drink with a bitter component is the way to go. When i drink scotch the intent is usually to do so slowly. I usually keep one bottle of blended scotch around, dewars or cutty sark, because every now and then a Rob Roy is just the thing. and of course now and then nothing will do but a Smoking Gun which I always make with Laphroig.
For me, I tend to prefer scotch with food (dessert in particular), because for some reason the peated stuff is extra hard on my heartburn if I drink it solo. If I'm looking for a neat/rocks sipper then I lean towards bourbon or rum.

As far as blended scotch for mixing, Johnny Gold Label is my favorite choice. That probably gives you a good idea about how price affects my purchasing philosophy :) I agree that scotch is definitely pricier than other spirits at similar quality levels, but I don't drink enough of it for that to play a big factor in my choices. For me, my selection is diverse enough that when I add a bottle to my collection it will be many years before it is finished. I buy a couple of bottles a year of various spirits, and maybe have two or three glasses a month so it really is more like collecting for me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #698 on: December 05, 2016, 10:42:31 am »

I'm not finding much in the $25 range these days.  Maker's and Bulliet when it's on sale.  Other than that you're into the Jim and Jack selection.  Or dropping down into the Very Old Barton budget shelf.

$32 seems to be the bottom end for anything decent.  Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, etc. is all at the range around here.  Move up to Wathen's (if you can find it) or Four Roses Single Barrel and your talking $40 or more.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #699 on: December 05, 2016, 11:25:10 am »
I guess I'm lucky then, Bulliet is all of 50 cents more than Jack at my local store. ~$23 for a fifth.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #700 on: December 05, 2016, 12:21:19 pm »
$26.99 when I can get it on sale.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #701 on: December 05, 2016, 02:10:06 pm »
Elijah Craig is running $24 at Costco in SC or on sale in NC. Buffalo Trace is typically $22-25 IF you can find it, I typically pick up a handle of it for $42 when in SC.

I have to agree, most everything else seems to be going up in price or is made of unobtanium. I recently saw WL Weller Special Reserve in a store for $79.99. Can you say GOUGE! The last time I ran into it I paid like $27 for the fifth. Of course this store had several decent things in stock, but they were $5 to $20 more than everywhere else so I passed.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:41:43 am by MDixon »
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #702 on: December 05, 2016, 02:32:56 pm »
I came across a bottle of Weller Antique and they wanted something north of $30.  The first Special Reserve I picked up had to be less than $20 and maybe six years ago.  I think the prices have gone up because of the link to Pappy, even though there is no longer a Weller distillery.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #703 on: December 05, 2016, 05:07:52 pm »
It must be in my blood, but I am an Irish/Rye/Tennessee/Bourbon fan.  In that order.

Irish - Kilbeggan, Bushmills, Teeling
Rye - Whistlepig, Knob Creek, Russells, Slow & Low
Tennessee - Collier & Mckeel, Jack, Rollins
Bourbon - Kings County, Hillrock, Weller

I still need to get my hands on a pappy 23 but everyone has a dream right... lol.  My prized bottle right now is the 21 bush.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #704 on: December 05, 2016, 06:08:25 pm »
Won't touch the Bushmills, but that starts treading into politics.  Albeit furrin politics.

As I've aged, I've found Irish whiskey to be too sweet.  Green Spot hits the spot.  Redbreast, too.  Jameson's is just too sweet for a regular drink.

I'll meet you at rye.  Whistle Pig is outstanding.