Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 182876 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2013, 09:44:11 pm »
According to Bruce Willis in The Seige, M16s are "ubiquitous". I always wondered what that meant, but now I know it means "from Tennessee" .

FTW!!!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2013, 12:24:47 am »
According to Bruce Willis in The Seige, M16s are "ubiquitous". I always wondered what that meant, but now I know it means "from Tennessee" .

FTW!!!

The movie Lawless combines sour mash and carbines, but that was Virginia whiskey and back then I believe Thompson .45s and BARs were ubiquitous.  I've shot all three.  The Tompson is very cool (tends to pull off target), but I like the BAR the best. (.45 vs .30-06).   M16 comes in a pale 3rd place.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2013, 07:19:45 am »
I have never had J.T.S. Brown and can't find out much about it except that it is a Heaven Hill product and that it was also Fast Eddie's drink of choice in the Hustler, which I admit to finding worthy in of itself to be at least sampled.

But Euge, I think you are missing the point. I don't consider the whiskeys you are trying to be "entry level" whiskey's at all. This is like trying to get an entry level craft beer and starting at Meister Brau. None of those bourbon's are going to give you a good idea of what a good bourbon is going to taste like.

Maker's Mark is like the Sam Adams of craft beer. Its a good place to start. I think you will find the flavors more pleasant and smoother than any of the cheap ass rot gut whiskey you are attempting to try to understand. Just sayin'.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2013, 08:43:03 am »
Available in a pint is one I enjoyed and worth a mention IMO 
Walkers Deluxe.....a pint won't break the bank and you can have
a little taste.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 03:21:29 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2013, 12:20:32 pm »
I have never had J.T.S. Brown and can't find out much about it except that it is a Heaven Hill product and that it was also Fast Eddie's drink of choice in the Hustler, which I admit to finding worthy in of itself to be at least sampled.

But Euge, I think you are missing the point. I don't consider the whiskeys you are trying to be "entry level" whiskey's at all. This is like trying to get an entry level craft beer and starting at Meister Brau. None of those bourbon's are going to give you a good idea of what a good bourbon is going to taste like.

Maker's Mark is like the Sam Adams of craft beer. Its a good place to start. I think you will find the flavors more pleasant and smoother than any of the cheap ass rot gut whiskey you are attempting to try to understand. Just sayin'.
I'm with Keith.  Trying all of the crap to work up to the good stuff makes no sense.  Start with the good stuff, save up for the great stuff.  Long ago I counted myself among those who do not like beer.  Turns out I just didn't like the crappy lagers I had been drinking (and still don't).
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2013, 01:15:52 pm »
I understand guys on setting the bar a bit higher for the entry point. The JTS Brown ain't half bad at all so for the price it may go into rotation. Maybe I just got lucky but there were other labels that weren't so appealing- like McCormicks!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2013, 01:21:20 pm »
Maker's Mark is like the Sam Adams of craft beer. 

Good way of putting it.

I do think (obviously from my earlier comments) you can find decent bottom shelf whiskey, but a random shotgun sampling of the bottom shelf is not what I'd advise.

Just checking prices on-line at Binny's, you could get Four Roses yellow label for the same price (at least here) as JTS Brown.  Interestingly, Brown gets some decent reviews on the bourbon forums.  Who knows?  I'm sure someone out there likes Evan Williams.

Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace both are available in 375ml and under $20.  I really think small bottles and comparison tasting is a good way to go.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2013, 02:02:46 pm »
Taste a few.  Find a whiskey reviewer whose tastes align with yours, and try ones they recommend.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2013, 03:17:10 pm »
I used to be a big fan of Makers Mark...until I found Woodford Reserve.  You can get a small bottle for around $20.  Great deal.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

coastsidemike

« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2013, 08:03:37 pm »
Maker's Mark is like the Sam Adams of craft beer. 

Good way of putting it.

I don't think the comparison works, saying that after visiting Maker's Mark in Louisville.  What I observed was slightly more than 75 bourbons on their menu, with some surprisingly unbiased opinion to try bourbons grouped by style.  My takeaway from visiting with them was to appreciate the regional culture and the efforts of individual distillers.   I'm not much of a bourbon drinker but now like to see some variety on hand.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2013, 05:39:04 am »
I used to be a big fan of Makers Mark...until I found Woodford Reserve.  You can get a small bottle for around $20.  Great deal.

I like woodford a lot. It is about $10 more than Makers 'round here. Still buy a bottle every now and then but rotate my mid shelf purchases.

FWIW woodford, when it first was released, was close to sublime and a great deal @ ~$30 per fifth. It's lost a little of it's complexity over the years and is not quite the whiskey it once was, but still very good.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2013, 07:44:33 am »
Worked last evening so on my lunch break ran over to SPECs and picked up some Makers and Bulleit 95 rye. I'll address price first: the Makers was $17 and the Bulleit was $19. The lady by my house wanted $26 and change for the same Makers!

Secondly: I can see Makers as an entry-level Bourbon. Not harsh just about the right dark sweetness and nice finish. The Bulleit I really like. Floral and spicy. Sharper but not harsh. Slight medicinal quality. Will most likely become my house whiskey...

Still I'd like to give a thumbs up for the JTS Brown though it is significantly harsher, less sweet and has a mouthfeel sorta on the thin side.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2013, 08:53:11 am »
Hooray! I definitely keep my eye out for the JTS Brown now, especially for the novelty of Fast Eddie. ;)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2013, 07:56:42 am »
FWIW woodford, when it first was released, was close to sublime and a great deal @ ~$30 per fifth. It's lost a little of it's complexity over the years and is not quite the whiskey it once was, but still very good.

I bet this is related to the increased popularity of whiskey and rye.

There are a couple labels that I know hit the shelves and are gone quickly.  Last time I looked for Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye you couldn't get it and probably not for a couple years.  Which also factors into the crazy prices for Pappy.

Maybe Woodford is rushing (I know, hard to rush aging) some part of the process or taking a short cut to get more product to the market.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2013, 08:50:57 am »
I'm late to the party, but do enjoy trying Bourbon's. I'm not a purist, but always try it neat and on the rocks before heading off in other directions. I personally don't like Woodford, to me it is harsh, alcoholic and has an acidity I despise. I also don't like Booker's, too alcoholic for my tastes.

I like Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare and Blanton's and all come from the same distillery. That might explain why I like them all. For the money BT and ER are tits.

I also like Knob Creek, Basil Hayden, and Bakers.

I've been working on Four Roses Small Batch and to me it is just a little boring and slightly harsh. If you really, really want boring get some Jefferson. Lexington bourbon (the brand) is pure monkey juice. Larceny wasn't bad at all when I got it for $15 after a $10 rebate. At $25 I'd go for something else. ;)

I recently had some Reservoir from Richmond, VA which is stupid expensive and just not enjoyable to consume. Harsh, acidic and alcoholic.

Bulleit I like, but I'm currently out of at home.

I believe Four Roses Single Barrel is on sale at our state owned liquor stores so I may go out today and grab a bottle.

If you want to know the lineage of Bourbon, GQ had a recent article which had a nice graphic.
http://mashbang.wordpress.com/2013/11/17/gq-the-bourbon-family-tree/
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!