Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 182086 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #765 on: January 06, 2017, 09:24:42 am »
I like craft cocktail bars like that who make their own ice slabs. The only downside is sometimes it is difficult to drink the drink around the chunk of ice. I was at one who had this contraption for making the round ball ice and it slowed getting a drink down to a crawl and eventually they ran out of ice to use in the ball maker. Not a fan of gimmicks which lead to slow service.

I'm generally not a fan of the big ice in my drinks but I cannot stand the big ice ball. I always feel like I'm fighting to keep it in the glass while drinking. Plus, as you said, if the bar is remotely busy you're waiting unnecessarily for some stupid piece of ice.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #766 on: January 06, 2017, 02:04:36 pm »
Then that link brought me to SKU - whiskey blogger.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/p/the-complete-list-of-american-whiskey.html

That is one hell of a list.

And a quick way to tell if something you are drinking is made somewhere completely different! ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #767 on: January 06, 2017, 10:27:21 pm »
I like craft cocktail bars like that who make their own ice slabs. The only downside is sometimes it is difficult to drink the drink around the chunk of ice. I was at one who had this contraption for making the round ball ice and it slowed getting a drink down to a crawl and eventually they ran out of ice to use in the ball maker. Not a fan of gimmicks which lead to slow service.

I'm generally not a fan of the big ice in my drinks but I cannot stand the big ice ball. I always feel like I'm fighting to keep it in the glass while drinking. Plus, as you said, if the bar is remotely busy you're waiting unnecessarily for some stupid piece of ice.

I don't like my whiskey with anything in it.  Neat for me.  IMO anything else dilutes or gets in the way.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #768 on: January 07, 2017, 07:53:23 am »

I don't like my whiskey with anything in it.  Neat for me.  IMO anything else dilutes or gets in the way.
Dilution is not a bad thing with whiskey! (or most other spirits for that matter) The alcohol heat at full strength masks a lot of the more subtle flavors and aromatics that a splash of water will bring out.

For me, tasting is done at room temp with a splash of cool water. Sipping is done over an ice cube or two. I enjoy the changes in flavor over time as the ice slowly melts.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #769 on: January 18, 2017, 12:45:45 pm »
So for our thoughts on the Nikka whiskys:
She feels that the pure malt is too much like Scotch Whiskey, I really enjoyed it over a large cube from the red tray
She is much happier with the coffey, I think it comes off as too sweet on the front palate and leaves me with an odd taste on the back end.
Both of these are thoughts from my fairly untrained whisky/whiskey palate, so take them with a grain of salt or a splash of water.  ;D
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #770 on: January 19, 2017, 05:52:00 am »
It does have a bit of sweetness. Hit it again in a few days to see if the perception changes, I like it neat.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #771 on: January 19, 2017, 05:58:26 am »
Will do

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #772 on: January 22, 2017, 01:48:07 pm »
Bought some Yellow Spot Irish Whiskey. Very good! I am not decided yet on whether it is worth the price, but it is indeed delicious.
Kyle M.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #773 on: January 23, 2017, 08:28:59 am »
Bought some Yellow Spot Irish Whiskey. Very good! I am not decided yet on whether it is worth the price, but it is indeed delicious.

I've been tempted.  But the Yellow is a bit pricier than the Green.  Green Spot is outstanding, so I have no doubt that Yellow Spot is as well.

How would you describe it?  Is it sweet?  Irish Whiskey's are too sweet for me these days, at least for a regular sip.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #774 on: January 26, 2017, 06:08:33 am »
The new bottle of 12 year old blended scotch whiskey from Costco is delicious.  Complex, layered flavors, and smooth.  The best of the three I have tried.

Snagged one of these. Seem to recall it was $38 for the handle. Very nice glass, much better than the cheaper half gallon. Of course the cheaper half gallon grew on me over time and has now gone to recycling. ;)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #775 on: January 26, 2017, 07:22:40 pm »

I've been tempted.  But the Yellow is a bit pricier than the Green.  Green Spot is outstanding, so I have no doubt that Yellow Spot is as well.

How would you describe it?  Is it sweet?  Irish Whiskey's are too sweet for me these days, at least for a regular sip.

It is a little sweet. As far as a description: plum, a little bit of apple, and iodine. Even with a splash of water it is a little hot. I would say it is not as sweet as other Irish Whiskeys.
Kyle M.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #776 on: February 07, 2017, 06:18:14 am »
The Famous Grouse was on sale for $21 and while it is not a bad glass, the Kirkland 12-year blend is much better and less expensive at $38 a handle and Monkey Shoulder blows it out of the water. Of course Monkey Shoulder is 30% more than Famous Grouse so it should be that much better.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #777 on: February 07, 2017, 06:32:57 am »
Enjoyed a neat glass of Angel's Envy.  Not bad, seemed oddly familiar but could not place it.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #778 on: February 07, 2017, 07:25:32 am »
Angel's was all the rage a few years back but to me at that time it had a fusel alcohol aroma with a tad bit of nail polish and was off-putting so I have skipped it ever since.

It appears AE was introduced in 2010. I am guessing I had it 3 or 4 years years ago. At 50 beans a bottle I can find something I appreciate more for less. ;)

PS (edit): What is interesting is this is the first mention we have had about it in the thread.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 07:27:30 am by MDixon »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #779 on: February 07, 2017, 09:13:10 am »
Angel's was all the rage a few years back but to me at that time it had a fusel alcohol aroma with a tad bit of nail polish and was off-putting so I have skipped it ever since.

It appears AE was introduced in 2010. I am guessing I had it 3 or 4 years years ago. At 50 beans a bottle I can find something I appreciate more for less. ;)

PS (edit): What is interesting is this is the first mention we have had about it in the thread.

Actually, we discussed it a bit in 2015... I recall as someone brought a bottle over for Halloween that year.

I also received a bottle of Angel's Envy this year for Christmas.  It's not going real fast.  I think maybe there's something with the sherry casks that I'm not loving.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton