Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 181023 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #795 on: February 24, 2017, 04:01:26 pm »
I didn't even look at the price on the EW.  Their black label is so putrid I can't bring myself to make that leap yet.  Maybe another time.  I'll probably try JTS Brown bonded beforehand, though.

Instead, I picked up some Elijah Craig on sale.  Haven't had it in years and recall being unimpressed.  But it was a good sale so I'll give 'er a whirl.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #796 on: February 24, 2017, 04:37:35 pm »
EC is good stuff. Often at $24-25 it is a bargain.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #797 on: February 24, 2017, 08:26:22 pm »
On sale for $27.  $34 at full price is too much.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #798 on: February 25, 2017, 06:34:24 am »
Cracked open the Ardbeg 10 YR last night. I have a sinus infection and ear infection so I figured the smoky phenols would be more subdued. Found I preferred it with a splash of water. It will be interesting to see how much my impression changes when my condition clears up. I really didn't find the phenols subdued, ;)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #799 on: February 25, 2017, 07:56:45 am »
I almost always drink Ardberg with a little water. Just put a few drops in, smell it, and continue till it kinda opens up some. It's really good stuff.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #800 on: February 25, 2017, 08:36:01 am »
I almost always drink Ardberg with a little water. Just put a few drops in, smell it, and continue till it kinda opens up some. It's really good stuff.

Yeah, tasty stuff.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #801 on: February 26, 2017, 11:28:32 am »

That's my MO for tasting any scotch. Sipping might be done on ice, but when I really want to dig into the flavor and aroma. it's neat with a splash of water.

I waffle back and forth a bit, but Ardbeg is possibly my favorite Islay distillery. I find Ardbeg to have the most peaty/smoky character out of three south coast Islay distilleries, which are generally the peatiest of all the Islay distilleries.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #802 on: February 26, 2017, 07:52:55 pm »
Of the three the only one I still haven't tried is Lagavulin...I don't know if the Ron Swanson character made it so popular that it sells before I find it or what.

Of the two I've tried Laphroig is my go-too. The Ardberg is just a bit too hot, and not in an alcohol heat way. I haven't tried it in a while, maybe it's time to revisit it...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #803 on: February 27, 2017, 07:19:26 am »
Of the three the only one I still haven't tried is Lagavulin...I don't know if the Ron Swanson character made it so popular that it sells before I find it or what.

Yeah, I love Laphroaig, too. Awesome stuff. But Lagavulin is pretty sublime IMO, too. And I bet 'Ron Swanson' drove up the interest and maybe the price a bit.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #804 on: February 27, 2017, 09:10:39 am »

Yeah, I love Laphroaig, too. Awesome stuff. But Lagavulin is pretty sublime IMO, too. And I bet 'Ron Swanson' drove up the interest and maybe the price a bit.
I highly recommend Talisker if you like the peatiest/smokiest Islay malts. The distillery is on the coast of the Isle of Skye, and must have a similar ocean climate. The character is very similar to something like Lagavulin. Talisker doesn't seem to get as much attention as the distilleries on Islay, but it is right up there with them if that's your type of Scotch.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #805 on: February 27, 2017, 09:15:00 am »

I highly recommend Talisker if you like the peatiest/smokiest Islay malts. The distillery is on the coast of the Isle of Skye, and must have a similar ocean climate. The character is very similar to something like Lagavulin. Talisker doesn't seem to get as much attention as the distilleries on Islay, but it is right up there with them if that's your type of Scotch.

I've had it and agree. Very tasty stuff, and underrated.
Jon H.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #806 on: February 27, 2017, 03:55:53 pm »
I was not impressed with the Four Roses yellow label - I like more of a caramel character.  I can get Elijah Craig for like $12 here, and I like that one fairly well. 

I've enjoyed Two Gingers quite a bit, and Paddy makes a good whiskey too.  Hellcat Maggie was also decent. 

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #807 on: February 27, 2017, 04:59:38 pm »
Found a whale today. Had been trying to get a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof for several years and never was able to find it. Happened to see it on the NCABC warehouse list and through several calls and stops figured out when delivery was scheduled and arrived just after it hit the shelf. Great timing, only three bottles per case and only one case went to that store. It will be quite some time before it comes up in the queue.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #808 on: March 19, 2017, 03:37:15 pm »
Finished off the fifth of 2 Gingers Irish Whiskey. Not very complex, but not overly sweet. Only $17 so not much coin. I'm sure it was meant to be drank mixed as opposed to neat as I drank it. Would be a good choice for a party as it paired well with almost everything.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Whiskey
« Reply #809 on: March 19, 2017, 05:32:55 pm »
Had a customer give me some Elijah Craig when I completed his job. I've never had it. I was wondering if I should soak my oak spirals in Elijah for my RIS, or drink it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B